I'll pay off my 240k loan balance in 4 years by living cheap Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
NYSprague

Silver

Re: I'll pay off my 240k loan balance in 4 years by living cheap

Post by NYSprague » Mon May 19, 2014 1:13 pm

Pokemon wrote:Why would someone want to pay that kind of a debt in four years. IBR-it (pay some extra here and there) and save the money you would pay on it on a bank account.

If you get fired from biglaw, you would have savings to last you for sometime + IBR with no job = 0$ monthly payments.

If you get gov job after 3-4 years of biglaw = profit because of the ten year public service rule.

If you are not able to pay it all in 25years, but you have been saving on the side = profit cause the tax bomb will only be like 1/3 or 1/4 of what will be forgiven.
I think that forgiveness will be capped eventually, though I don't think it will be retroactive. The tax code, however, can easily be changed. Depending on how politics go, I'm not sure counting on the same tax code being in effect in 25 years is a great plan. I don't think the tax rate for forgiven student loan debt has even been established. (Please let me know if I'm wrong.)
People have thought that the tax bomb might lessen, but I don't know if the political climate will ever support that.

Right now it looks like the IRS treats forgiven student loans as income. (LRAP forgiveness is not taxable by the federal government, don't know about state governments) Not to panic anyone. So don't worry about it now, I guess. I just assume that taxes will be going up over time.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Mon May 19, 2014 1:46 pm

NYSprague wrote:
Pokemon wrote:Why would someone want to pay that kind of a debt in four years. IBR-it (pay some extra here and there) and save the money you would pay on it on a bank account.

If you get fired from biglaw, you would have savings to last you for sometime + IBR with no job = 0$ monthly payments.

If you get gov job after 3-4 years of biglaw = profit because of the ten year public service rule.

If you are not able to pay it all in 25years, but you have been saving on the side = profit cause the tax bomb will only be like 1/3 or 1/4 of what will be forgiven.
I think that forgiveness will be capped eventually, though I don't think it will be retroactive. The tax code, however, can easily be changed. Depending on how politics go, I'm not sure counting on the same tax code being in effect in 25 years is a great plan. I don't think the tax rate for forgiven student loan debt has even been established. (Please let me know if I'm wrong.)
People have thought that the tax bomb might lessen, but I don't know if the political climate will ever support that.

Right now it looks like the IRS treats forgiven student loans as income, but I don't know if it will remain the case. (LRAP forgiveness is not taxable by the federal government, don't know about state governments) Not to panic anyone. So don't worry about it now, I guess. I just assume that taxes will be going up over time.
Without being an expert at this, I assumed IRS treats IBR forgiveness as it would treat any other loan forgiveness. Students do not get any benefits from IRS on this issue. As such, I doubt 25 years from now, students would be treated worse than they are currently treated.

IF gov however limits how much you can forgive via IBR 25 years from now, then that is a different question.

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Mon May 19, 2014 1:53 pm

Pokemon wrote:
NYSprague wrote:

Right now it looks like the IRS treats forgiven student loans as income, but I don't know if it will remain the case. (LRAP forgiveness is not taxable by the federal government, don't know about state governments) Not to panic anyone. So don't worry about it now, I guess. I just assume that taxes will be going up over time.
Without being an expert at this, I assumed IRS treats IBR forgiveness as it would treat any other loan forgiveness. Students do not get any benefits from IRS on this issue. As such, I doubt 25 years from now, students would be treated worse than they are currently treated.

IF gov however limits how much you can forgive via IBR 25 years from now, then that is a different question.
Right now it looks like student loan forgiveness is income that is added to AGI. But right now, the only student loan debt that is forgiven is based on death or severe disability or,very rarely, bankruptcy. No one with a high income or high net worth gets their loans cancelled.

I don't think that just discharging the debt owed to the federal government from high income or even medium income people is going to be that popular. I haven't seen this addressed anywhere, other than people seemed to think the tax bomb would go away or lessen.
Last edited by NYSprague on Mon May 19, 2014 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon May 19, 2014 1:54 pm

If I had PAYE I'd definitely just do that.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon May 19, 2014 1:56 pm

The big problem is trying to delay adulthood well into your thirties. It just doesn't work. You are going to get married, buy a house, pop out some kids.

You just aren't going to live like a stupid college student forever.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Mon May 19, 2014 2:02 pm

Desert Fox wrote:The big problem is trying to delay adulthood well into your thirties. It just doesn't work. You are going to get married, buy a house, pop out some kids.

Are these mandatory? I don't like the whole popping out some kids part.

But thanks for the thread, DF. Makes me feel a lot more comfortable about going to a strong regional with $ as a legit decision.

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Mon May 19, 2014 2:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:If I had PAYE I'd definitely just do that.
Yeah, maybe people should calculate their budgets with PAYE/IBR and accept they may be paying for school for 20/25 years. The sad part, to me, is that people may be more likely to go knowing that even without big law, or hell any job at all, they can service their debt. Like," I can borrow more than $200,000 to go to New York Law School (current COA just under $73,000) because I won't ever have to pay it back if I don't get a job."

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon May 19, 2014 2:18 pm

Attax wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:The big problem is trying to delay adulthood well into your thirties. It just doesn't work. You are going to get married, buy a house, pop out some kids.

But thanks for the thread, DF. Makes me feel a lot more comfortable about going to a strong regional with $ as a legit decision.
Not mandatory, but a ton of people in my class (C/O 2012) got married in the last couple of years, and a few have had kids. Lots of people will meet someone in law school, and graduation is a milestone that precipitates a lot of long-term relationships into marriage.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Mon May 19, 2014 2:36 pm

rayiner wrote:
Not mandatory, but a ton of people in my class (C/O 2012) got married in the last couple of years, and a few have had kids. Lots of people will meet someone in law school, and graduation is a milestone that precipitates a lot of long-term relationships into marriage.
Good to hear. I'm from a small town, KJD and people are shocked I'm not married yet and have no prospects. I just graduated UG and that seems to be a milestone for marriages, so it makes sense LS would be as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon May 19, 2014 2:41 pm

Attax wrote:

Well, working in shit probably sucks worse. But if you do make biglaw, ill be mad jelly.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Mon May 19, 2014 3:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Attax wrote:

Well, working in shit probably sucks worse. But if you do make biglaw, ill be mad jelly.
That's my fear is shitlaw, but I figure Texas isn't a terrible choice for someone with money and from Texas who wants to stay in Texas. That's what I've been told around here at least.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon May 19, 2014 3:15 pm

Attax wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Attax wrote:

That's my fear is shitlaw, but I figure Texas isn't a terrible choice for someone with money and from Texas who wants to stay in Texas. That's what I've been told around here at least.
what's the debtload gunna be?

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Mon May 19, 2014 3:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote: what's the debtload gunna be?
~20k total + 25k from UG so <$50,000

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon May 19, 2014 3:55 pm

Attax wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Good to hear. I'm from a small town, KJD and people are shocked I'm not married yet and have no prospects. I just graduated UG and that seems to be a milestone for marriages, so it makes sense LS would be as well.
So you're 22-23? Just an observation, take it or leave it: you're not supposed to want to have kids at 22-23. People who do are kind of weird. Your priorities/interests shift as you get older.

I don't mean this as a dig: if 30 rolls around and you still don't want to have kids, good on ya. It's a totally legitimate decision. I would just be careful about trying to game out how you feel about this stuff so early on.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Mon May 19, 2014 4:09 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
So you're 22-23? Just an observation, take it or leave it: you're not supposed to want to have kids at 22-23. People who do are kind of weird. Your priorities/interests shift as you get older.

I don't mean this as a dig: if 30 rolls around and you still don't want to have kids, good on ya. It's a totally legitimate decision. I would just be careful about trying to game out how you feel about this stuff so early on.
Yep, 22. Small town = everyone has babies already so parental pressure makes it feel like I should but alas I know it is reasonable not to and may change when I'm older. But I know many people my age wanting to start their family and have kids already which is why I have been staying out of the dating scene through UG.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon May 19, 2014 4:51 pm

Attax wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

Yep, 22. Small town = everyone has babies already so parental pressure makes it feel like I should but alas I know it is reasonable not to and may change when I'm older. But I know many people my age wanting to start their family and have kids already which is why I have been staying out of the dating scene through UG.
You realize by saying "I'll just be poor for 5 years" you are commiting to not seriously dating til like 31. That's crazier than 22

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Mon May 19, 2014 5:49 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Attax wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

You realize by saying "I'll just be poor for 5 years" you are commiting to not seriously dating til like 31. That's crazier than 22
Yes, poor people cannot date. It's illegal.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon May 19, 2014 5:50 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Attax wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

Good luck taking ur lady to Chiptole when you make six figs. Or buying her a 25 dollar gift. Or buying a 2k engagement ring.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Mon May 19, 2014 6:01 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Attax wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

Have you ever attempted to date someone of similar income level while you're trying to live far more frugally than is ordinary for that income level? It's pretty damn difficult, and people pretty quickly start thinking you're a cheapskate for not wanting to go out all the time, especially to places above a single $ Yelp factor.

Though I suppose it would be easier if you could find another grossly indebted young attorney who comprehends the magnitude of your financial situation.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Mon May 19, 2014 6:06 pm

ymmv wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: You realize by saying "I'll just be poor for 5 years" you are commiting to not seriously dating til like 31. That's crazier than 22
Have you ever attempted to date someone of similar income level while you're trying to live far more frugally than is ordinary for that income level? It's pretty damn difficult, and people pretty quickly start thinking you're a cheapskate for not wanting to go out all the time, especially to places above a single $ Yelp factor.

Though I suppose it would be easier if you could find another grossly indebted young attorney who comprehends the magnitude of your financial situation.
Yea I guess I don't want to date anyone who has grossly different expectations re: frugality/spending than I do. There are people who would rather just have fun than give a shit about how much money someone is spending on them.

DF I'm not too worried, teh gf is an artist. And I would rather not get engaged than be married to someone who cares whether an engagement ring costs $2k or $20k.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon May 19, 2014 6:08 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
ymmv wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: You realize by saying "I'll just be poor for 5 years" you are commiting to not seriously dating til like 31. That's crazier than 22

Yea I guess I don't want to date anyone who has grossly different expectations re: frugality/spending than I do. There are people who would rather just have fun than give a shit about how much money someone is spending on them.

DF I'm not too worried, teh gf is an artist. And I would rather not get engaged than be married to someone who cares whether an engagement ring costs $2k or $20k.
Just wait bro, just wait.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

exitoptions

Bronze

Post by exitoptions » Mon May 19, 2014 6:22 pm

Here's the thing. In big law, your significant other isn't actually "with" you in any meaningful sense of the word.

If they aren't in big law, there will come a time when they realize that the only thing they're getting out of the relationship is financial stability. And they won't be that cool with the fact that you spend 80 hours a week at the office and they have to eat canned beans 5 nights a week, and be taken to fast food on the rare weekends you spend significant time together. This applies to artists, teachers, hippies and whatnot. It's not about how frugally they lived before, it's about how shitty you make their life now. The only think you have to make it better is money. You'll be begging them to let you take them out to a Michelin starred place before long.

If you're both in the big law boat, you'll both want to splurge on the rare weekend you spend together, to takeaway the horrible inching feeling that you are wasting your youth making hedge funds a few more million while you're still worth negative $150k. Also, you'll realize that you don't really have a relationship, and that you're really just roommates.

Everyone I know in big law falls into one category or the other.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon May 19, 2014 6:55 pm

Seriously. People who "just want to have fun" rarely want it to be slotted in between M&A deals. Big law limits your ability to do fun cheap stuff. Try going to free shows when you're only available late in the evening, or stuff like camping when you always need your blackberry with you.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Mon May 19, 2014 7:04 pm

rayiner wrote:Seriously. People who "just want to have fun" rarely want it to be slotted in between M&A deals. Big law limits your ability to do fun cheap stuff. Try going to free shows when you're only available late in the evening, or stuff like camping when you always need your blackberry with you.
Point taken. I don't doubt that the toll biglaw takes on relationships is a heavy one.

Guess I haven't hit the level of cynicism espoused by exitoptions. One of the more impressively depressing posts on a site filled with many of them. Time will tell if I'm singing that tune two years from now.

dsamuels

Bronze

Post by dsamuels » Mon May 19, 2014 7:26 pm

Pause...How in the Hell does someone owe 240K? Do people really take out this much for law school?!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”