Should I bother getting a better job? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Yanky91

Bronze

Should I bother getting a better job?

Post by Yanky91 » Tue May 13, 2014 12:13 pm

I have a question. Right now I am a deli clerk. I get paid crap. I took the job because I needed money and it was convenient. My question is, should I look for a better job before I start law school in three months? Is it worth it? Or should I just stick it out as a deli clerk? If I get an office job and work there for two months, can I even put that on my resume?

I don't know if I posted this in the right forum.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Re: Should I bother getting a better job?

Post by DoveBodyWash » Tue May 13, 2014 12:18 pm

if the reason is because you want to earn more, then sure why not

If the reason is because you want to strengthen your resume...eh i dunno. I don't think any office clerk job that'll hire you for 2 months will be the kind of job that boosts your resume

dsamuels

Bronze

Post by dsamuels » Tue May 13, 2014 12:33 pm

I agree with cusenation. I say you might as well apply to other jobs, but do not quit your other job. Some money is better then no money.

Yanky91

Bronze

Post by Yanky91 » Mon May 26, 2014 12:30 am

Thanks for the responses. Will the fact that I have such menial work experience hurt my chances of getting an internship for the summer of 1L?

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Mon May 26, 2014 12:47 am

Yanky91 wrote:Thanks for the responses. Will the fact that I have such menial work experience hurt my chances of getting an internship for the summer of 1L?
A lot of people have only that kind of WE or no WE at all, if they're K-JD. You'll be fine, or at the very least there's nothing you can do about it now aside from deferring.

Agreed with cuse that nothing worthwhile will hire you for only two months. And short time periods like that raise red flags.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon May 26, 2014 1:11 am

Na just kick it

Yanky91

Bronze

Post by Yanky91 » Mon May 26, 2014 1:12 am

beepboopbeep wrote:
Yanky91 wrote:Thanks for the responses. Will the fact that I have such menial work experience hurt my chances of getting an internship for the summer of 1L?
A lot of people have only that kind of WE or no WE at all, if they're K-JD. You'll be fine, or at the very least there's nothing you can do about it now aside from deferring.

Agreed with cuse that nothing worthwhile will hire you for only two months. And short time periods like that raise red flags.
I'm not exactly k-JD. I had about a year off. A family member had severe surgery and I cared for them for a while. In addition I took the LSAT, and I tutored kids for a bit. I just got the deli job a little while ago for a bit of money. I was under the impression that work experience before law school is useless and meaningless so I didn't bother beefing up my resume. Now I am wondering if I was wrong. I worked all the way through college at various jobs, but again they are all menial (other than TA and tutor positions).

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon May 26, 2014 1:20 am

Work experience before law school is meaningful and important - people who have good work experience often substantially outperform K through JDs when it comes to recruiting.

Having said that, it's not necessary (and plenty of K through JDs do fine). More importantly to you, there's basically no job in the world you could get right now and work at until law school that would meaningfully boost your odds, and the deli gig definitely won't do you any harm (plus money is good).

So kick it :D

Yanky91

Bronze

Post by Yanky91 » Mon May 26, 2014 11:10 am

Thanks for the replies. Another question I have is; when you graduate from law school, is your resume supposed to have any jobs from before law school? Or by that time is your resume purely legal experience? I assume that at the end of law school, my resume will be filled with externship, internship, and research experience, and I won't put sales clerk experience, or secretary experience on there anymore..... correct?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Mon May 26, 2014 11:28 am

Yanky91 wrote:Thanks for the replies. Another question I have is; when you graduate from law school, is your resume supposed to have any jobs from before law school? Or by that time is your resume purely legal experience? I assume that at the end of law school, my resume will be filled with externship, internship, and research experience, and I won't put sales clerk experience, or secretary experience on there anymore..... correct?
If you had another career you would leave it on. Otherwise, it doesn't matter.
I worked in a hospital during college and before law school and no one I work with even k owe about it. Just not relevant.

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Mon May 26, 2014 11:32 am

Nova wrote:Na just kick it

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Mon May 26, 2014 11:39 am

Why not sign up at a temp agency to see if you can score a short term gig that pays better than the deli? If not, you still have the deli job

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”