Anyone have positive things to say about BigLaw? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
drawstring

Gold

Re: Anyone have positive things to say about BigLaw?

Post by drawstring » Fri May 09, 2014 2:00 am

I have a close family friend who is very positive about the money that they earned and absolutely sure they made the right decision by going into biglaw. They did not go into much debt to get their degree (full scholly at T-14), and in their early 30s and after 5 or 6 years in biglaw they were able to buy a nice condo, put a few hundred k in the bank, and start doing what they actually wanted to instead of working horrible hours, constantly having something work-related on their mind, and generally feeling like a disrespected POS (their words).

For them biglaw was a great opportunity, but then again they weren't paying dat bigdebt.

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Fri May 09, 2014 3:20 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:I am in biglaw and I love my job because I love the substance of what I do (niche practice) and it's reliably 55-60 hours a week (combination of practice area and market). People doing an in-depth comparison of the hours to i-banking, consulting, etc. are using the wrong metric IMO. But these posts saying "I worked a 40-hour week and I'd never work 60 hours" puzzle me a little too. What do you do, go home and crochet a sweater or something? I still need to work on like, fitting in my workout more reliably instead of all willy-nilly and only half the time, and getting all chores done on the weekend, but I don't need to go home at 5, for God's sake.

There are good jobs, and middle grounds, but they're not the jobs you tumble into when you get good grades at a T-14 and follow the herd at OCI. I think herd-following is a problem with law students.
More proof of my theory (on pg 1). This Biglaw associate cannot think of something better to do with free time than crochet, go to the gym (time to maintain your health should be the baseline when talking work hours), and do chores. Go forth and bill, oh prestigious associate.

Edit: I will add here that had I got a Biglaw offer, I probably would have taken it for the money (paid $$$$ for school) and exit options. People question whether the exit options are actually that good, but at least at the time I thought they were. All this said, I'm 99% sure I would have hated it, just like my friends who are most similar to myself do.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Fri May 09, 2014 7:38 am

drawstring wrote:I have a close family friend who is very positive about the money that they earned and absolutely sure they made the right decision by going into biglaw. They did not go into much debt to get their degree (full scholly at T-14), and in their early 30s and after 5 or 6 years in biglaw they were able to buy a nice condo, put a few hundred k in the bank, and start doing what they actually wanted to instead of working horrible hours, constantly having something work-related on their mind, and generally feeling like a disrespected POS (their words).

For them biglaw was a great opportunity, but then again they weren't paying dat bigdebt.
Now imagine that story where after 5-6 years instead of having a few hundred grand in the bank they still owe money on their loans.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Fri May 09, 2014 8:19 am

splat232 wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:There are good jobs, and middle grounds, but they're not the jobs you tumble into when you get good grades at a T-14 and follow the herd at OCI. I think herd-following is a problem with law students.
Interested in this. Could you expand upon that a little bit? Are there less-beaten paths that lead to good outcomes?

As an 0L, I completely buy that biglaw is miserable. I worked as a paralegal at a big firm for two years and saw associates regularly on the verge of complete mental breakdowns. I guess the question is what is the alternative. If you look at an attorney's 30-40 year career post law school, isn't biglaw a pretty good place to start? If not, what is? Or is law school truly a losing proposition no matter how you look at it?
I think biglaw is a good place to start if you have certain goals and can either enjoy it or at least deal with it for the requisite number of years. People painting an un-rosy picture aren't necessarily saying no one should do biglaw ever; they are just saying, I think, that 0Ls as a group tend to underestimate some of its costs, and focus on the wrong aspects, which I think is true.

As for the first question, it appears to me that in general, there are non-NYC and basically non-urban markets in which you will get paid a little less and work a little less. It's not necessarily a lot less; for corporate people, it could mean an all-nighter once a year instead of several times a month, or going home a little earlier on average (although I think feast-or-famine patterns still apply). To me that would be worth a pay cut. It also means cultural differences. Someone who came to my firm from an NYC vault firm said that here, if she has to stay late, the partner says they're sorry and they mean it, whereas at her old firm it was just expected. To her that made a difference. To some people it probably wouldn't.

The reason this isn't a cure-all is that 1) if you really require a 40-hour week, forget it, 2) there just aren't nearly as many of these jobs, 3) you need ties, 4) exit options are different, more regional, 5) your COL goes down as you flee NYC, but your loans don't, and 6) if prestige matters, other than maybe regional prestige, forget it - no V-something moniker to bandy about with your classmates.

killer133

New

Post by killer133 » Fri May 09, 2014 8:36 am

My friend works at V30 and he is very happy, I mean genuinely happy. He loves his work and he is very rich. He went to law school on full ride (T14) and he is 4th yr associate now making $200K+/yr. The only thing he complains is that he might get a phone call at 10pm Friday night while he is drinking. But he said work itself is challenging and fun. His partners are not de-humaning anyone at his firm.

He might be one of the exceptions, but not everyone hates biglaw.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

V20Associate

New

Post by V20Associate » Fri May 09, 2014 8:42 am

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
V20Associate wrote:I've learned a ton and I work at a place that is full of smart, ambitious and incredibly professional people.
Are there firms where people aren't professional? That doesn't seem like a remarkable trait to me. Professionalism is such a bare minimum requirement to work in any white collar job that I hardly even notice it.
Of course there are. Glance over the complaints people have thrown at biglaw in this thread and notice how many are related to "difficult personalities" or something similar. If you are under the impression that being "incredibly professional" is "a bare minimum" aspect of the job, then I think we have different definitions of what professionalism is. I don't see it as just "know when to wear a tie or a jacket" (although I suppose that's in the same universe), so much as "know how to work in a group of people such that your presence in terms of tone, attitude and awareness is a consistent net positive to the team, both in terms of the team's work product and other members satisfaction with working on the team."

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri May 09, 2014 8:50 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
splat232 wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:There are good jobs, and middle grounds, but they're not the jobs you tumble into when you get good grades at a T-14 and follow the herd at OCI. I think herd-following is a problem with law students.
Interested in this. Could you expand upon that a little bit? Are there less-beaten paths that lead to good outcomes?

As an 0L, I completely buy that biglaw is miserable. I worked as a paralegal at a big firm for two years and saw associates regularly on the verge of complete mental breakdowns. I guess the question is what is the alternative. If you look at an attorney's 30-40 year career post law school, isn't biglaw a pretty good place to start? If not, what is? Or is law school truly a losing proposition no matter how you look at it?
I think biglaw is a good place to start if you have certain goals and can either enjoy it or at least deal with it for the requisite number of years. People painting an un-rosy picture aren't necessarily saying no one should do biglaw ever; they are just saying, I think, that 0Ls as a group tend to underestimate some of its costs, and focus on the wrong aspects, which I think is true.

As for the first question, it appears to me that in general, there are non-NYC and basically non-urban markets in which you will get paid a little less and work a little less. It's not necessarily a lot less; for corporate people, it could mean an all-nighter once a year instead of several times a month, or going home a little earlier on average (although I think feast-or-famine patterns still apply). To me that would be worth a pay cut. It also means cultural differences. Someone who came to my firm from an NYC vault firm said that here, if she has to stay late, the partner says they're sorry and they mean it, whereas at her old firm it was just expected. To her that made a difference. To some people it probably wouldn't.

The reason this isn't a cure-all is that 1) if you really require a 40-hour week, forget it, 2) there just aren't nearly as many of these jobs, 3) you need ties, 4) exit options are different, more regional, 5) your COL goes down as you flee NYC, but your loans don't, and 6) if prestige matters, other than maybe regional prestige, forget it - no V-something moniker to bandy about with your classmates.
Yup, all of this.

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Fri May 09, 2014 9:10 am

rayiner wrote:
drawstring wrote:I have a close family friend who is very positive about the money that they earned and absolutely sure they made the right decision by going into biglaw. They did not go into much debt to get their degree (full scholly at T-14), and in their early 30s and after 5 or 6 years in biglaw they were able to buy a nice condo, put a few hundred k in the bank, and start doing what they actually wanted to instead of working horrible hours, constantly having something work-related on their mind, and generally feeling like a disrespected POS (their words).

Now imagine that story where after 5-6 years instead of having a few hundred grand in the bank they still owe money on their loans.
No doubt.

I mean, if you go in with little to no debt the work experience may still suck, but at least you're getting life changing (for a lot of people at least) $$$ out of it if you can put in the years.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Fri May 09, 2014 9:13 am

jarofsoup wrote:Big law provides you with training, money and prestige. In turn you work an absurd amount of hours, have to deal with difficult personalities, lack job security, and risk the prospect of being fired in 6-13 years depending on the firms partner track.

I really cannot see much real benefits besides the prestige. If you can get an entry level gov position you'll learn far more than you would learn in a big firm.
It does???

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Fri May 09, 2014 9:24 am

I'd like to know what the other biglawlers think of that. I've seen the training line many times but I'm not sure if it's generally true or not.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri May 09, 2014 9:26 am

drawstring wrote:I'd like to know what the other biglawlers think of that. I've seen the training line many times but I'm not sure if it's generally true or not.
i mean it's a flame and it's not. no one is going to sit down with you with a binder of documents and teach you what do to in the real world. also, no one will really guide you through shit while you're being asked to do it. but, the end result of being told to do something you've never done and can't do, then panicking, pulling something together, having it corrected, fixing it, then getting silence as feedback does sorta result in the outcome of you being trained.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Fri May 09, 2014 9:32 am

IAFG wrote:
drawstring wrote:I'd like to know what the other biglawlers think of that. I've seen the training line many times but I'm not sure if it's generally true or not.
i mean it's a flame and it's not. no one is going to sit down with you with a binder of documents and teach you what do to in the real world. also, no one will really guide you through shit while you're being asked to do it. but, the end result of being told to do something you've never done and can't do, then panicking, pulling something together, having it corrected, fixing it, then getting silence as feedback does sorta result in the outcome of you being trained.
But that doesn't seem different to me than anywhere else. I feel like that's...being a lawyer.

V20Associate

New

Post by V20Associate » Fri May 09, 2014 9:33 am

IAFG wrote:
IAFG-- do you work in biglaw? I'm not asking to demean your opinion or your response, because if that has been your experience, that really stinks. That said, my experience vis a vis training has been manifestly different. I've had a lot of formal training (ed sessions, etc.) and even more informal training (particularly with senior associates.) When I think back to where I was when I started in terms of knowing where and how to get work product out the door, I kind of want to laugh at myself.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri May 09, 2014 9:36 am

V20Associate wrote:
IAFG wrote:
IAFG-- do you work in biglaw? I'm not asking to demean your opinion or your response, because if that has been your experience, that really stinks. That said, my experience vis a vis training has been manifestly different. I've had a lot of formal training (ed sessions, etc.) and even more informal training (particularly with senior associates.) When I think back to where I was when I started in terms of knowing where and how to get work product out the door, I kind of want to laugh at myself.
i did not get anything out of those sessions. they were so high-level they really didn't inform my work product at all.

as far as seniors, i mean, they've helped me out here and there, but my training has mostly been as described.

NoLieAbility

Bronze

Post by NoLieAbility » Fri May 09, 2014 9:37 am

0L Contribution:

I have one hundred and sixty thousand positive things to say about BigLaw.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Fri May 09, 2014 9:40 am

NoLieAbility wrote:0L Contribution:

95 thousand after tax*

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Fri May 09, 2014 9:42 am

El Pollito wrote:

95 thousand after tax*
How much after loans and NYC rent?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri May 09, 2014 9:42 am

El Pollito wrote:

95 thousand after tax*
69k after loans*

Despite scholarship*

V20Associate

New

Post by V20Associate » Fri May 09, 2014 9:44 am

IAFG wrote:
V20Associate wrote:
IAFG wrote:
i did not get anything out of those sessions. they were so high-level they really didn't inform my work product at all.

as far as seniors, i mean, they've helped me out here and there, but my training has mostly been as described.
Hmm, well then that does stink. OP, and applicants generally, perhaps you should make a point to ask about the quality of training on a second visit when applying and try to get a sense of it at a specific firm, because it sounds like the quality of training might vary.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Fri May 09, 2014 9:47 am

IAFG wrote:
El Pollito wrote:

95 thousand after tax*
69k after loans*

Despite scholarship*
45K after rent*

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Fri May 09, 2014 10:02 am

El Pollito wrote:

95 thousand after tax*
I think what 0L's really fail to appreciate is how much taxes and debt reduces your paycheck. They think: oh, I'm making $160k, and sticker loan payments are like $45k/year, so it's still the equivalent of making $115k/year!

After taxes and health insurance, your take-home in MFH might be like $7,700 per month.* Sticker debt knocks off say $3,600, leaving you with $4,100 per month after taxes. In New York City, someone making $75k/year will net about the same.

Yes, this ignores raises and bonuses, but if you want to hit zero net worth by the time you wash out of big law, even if you last 5 years, you have to plow those into paying loans.

*) A big secret of big law firms is that they're cheap with health insurance contributions relative to professional jobs in the $70-100k range. My $60k/year engineer job in Atlanta had zero employee contribution, while my big law firm required a couple of hundred a month just for yourself.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Fri May 09, 2014 11:44 am

t-14orbust wrote:Is the 'revolving door' between biggov and biglaw real? If so how does it work? Thanks

exitoptions

Bronze

Post by exitoptions » Fri May 09, 2014 11:52 am

rayiner wrote: After taxes and health insurance, your take-home in MFH might be like $7,700 per month.* Sticker debt knocks off say $3,600, leaving you with $4,100 per month after taxes. In New York City, someone making $75k/year will net about the same.

Yes, this ignores raises and bonuses, but if you want to hit zero net worth by the time you wash out of big law, even if you last 5 years, you have to plow those into paying loans.

*) A big secret of big law firms is that they're cheap with health insurance contributions relative to professional jobs in the $70-100k range. My $60k/year engineer job in Atlanta had zero employee contribution, while my big law firm required a couple of hundred a month just for yourself.
In biglaw the emphasis is on keeping the $160k figure alive. Associates have to contribute more to health insurance, get no dental or vision, and get no matching 401k like you would get in a normal corporate America job (where pay may be less but benefits are higher and tax free). Which is designed essentially to make everyone think that biglaw is way more lucrative than it is actually. Also, megadebt or rich family is basically a prerequisite. Which leads to an accumulation of generally miserable people.

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Fri May 09, 2014 3:08 pm

exitoptions wrote:
rayiner wrote: After taxes and health insurance, your take-home in MFH might be like $7,700 per month.* Sticker debt knocks off say $3,600, leaving you with $4,100 per month after taxes. In New York City, someone making $75k/year will net about the same.

In biglaw the emphasis is on keeping the $160k figure alive. Associates have to contribute more to health insurance, get no dental or vision, and get no matching 401k like you would get in a normal corporate America job (where pay may be less but benefits are higher and tax free). Which is designed essentially to make everyone think that biglaw is way more lucrative than it is actually. Also, megadebt or rich family is basically a prerequisite. Which leads to an accumulation of generally miserable people.
To be fair, benefits in corporate america seems to have also been going to shit. Over the past 5 years at two different financial services firms, I've seen employee health insurance go up pretty heavily (started paying like $60 a month, now pay $150 a month) as well as having deductibles go up. This seems to be the case with most of my other friends outside of finance as well.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Fri May 09, 2014 4:06 pm

V20Associate wrote:Hmm, well then that does stink. OP, and applicants generally, perhaps you should make a point to ask about the quality of training on a second visit when applying and try to get a sense of it at a specific firm, because it sounds like the quality of training might vary.
I don't believe you are really a biglaw associate. I don't know of any biglaw firms that give as much training as you claim your firm does. Maybe you're just in a really good practice group or something. *shrug*

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”