what is your typical morning like?? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Candy Wrappers

New

what is your typical morning like??

Post by Candy Wrappers » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:24 pm

just curious, what is your typical morning (or any spare time you have) like, before you run off to your classes/jobs? what newspaper, online articles, news channel do you read? i'm asking as a 0L, trying to get into the habit of reading more and reading the helpful things. thanks :D

patogordo

Gold

Re: what is your typical morning like??

Post by patogordo » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:26 pm

i spend most of my mornings asleep

daryldixon

Bronze

Post by daryldixon » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:27 pm

I get up and shower, shave, and get dressed. I put the coffee on then read 3-5 articles from the WSJ. Then I check my email and answer emails. Then I browse the front page of reddit until it is time to leave for the bus.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:27 pm

daryldixon wrote:I get up and shower, shave, and get dressed. I put the coffee on then read 3-5 articles from the WSJ. Then I check my email and answer emails. Then I browse the front page of reddit until it is time to leave for the bus.
Post on TLS.

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:53 pm

most likely beating a hangover

either that or skipping class

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:55 pm

drink coffee and debate whether to attend the day's classes

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:05 pm

mephistopheles wrote:most likely beating a hangover

does having a hangover make you more likely to go to class? like you're going to be miserable either way, so may as well go, right?

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:08 pm

LeDique wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:most likely beating a hangover

does having a hangover make you more likely to go to class? like you're going to be miserable either way, so may as well go, right?
both entail skipping class, it's just secondary in the former

suzige

Bronze

Post by suzige » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:21 pm

I miss reading things i want to read....

Honestly, you read so damn much as a 1L just for class. Don't worry about reading other stuff, you seriously need to give yourself time away from reading until you get used to it.

And please, for the love of God, if you have time to do anything in the morning, please be sure to shower. I remember like 2-3 weeks into 1L there as a weird BO funk around school...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:28 pm

I wake up my kids, get them ready for school while trying to get dressed, feed and water the dogs, take half a coffee and an antidepressant, smear deodorant in the general direction of my armpits, brush teeth, look at clock, realize I'm late, dress my kids, force them into car seats, drop them off at school, then start checking TLS and Facebook at stoplight a or straight highway portions, get to school, check email, eat whatever food somebody left out from a student meeting the night before and buy a good cup of coffee, and then go to class.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:41 pm

Candy Wrappers wrote:just curious, what is your typical morning (or any spare time you have) like, before you run off to your classes/jobs? what newspaper, online articles, news channel do you read? i'm asking as a 0L, trying to get into the habit of reading more and reading the helpful things. thanks :D
Ask in Ask a Law Student.

chem!

Platinum

Post by chem! » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:43 pm

Wake up the kids, start drinking coffee, make breakfast and pack lunches, feed dogs, take Kid #2 to school, come home, wait 15 minutes and take Kid #1 to school, come home again and continue drinking coffee. I usually TLS and browse the web for an hour or so, then do my reading/outlining/studying for an hour or two. Lately I've been watching an episode or two of DS9 while doing laundry, etc. I don't go to school until the evening, so I usually don't even get in the shower until lunchtime. :oops:

ETA: I desperately miss reading for pleasure.

Candy Wrappers

New

Post by Candy Wrappers » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:44 pm

First Offense wrote: Ask in Ask a Law Student.
im sorry about the misplaced question. and thank you all for the answers. and good luck to you all.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Candy Wrappers

New

Post by Candy Wrappers » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:48 pm

daryldixon wrote:I put the coffee on then read 3-5 articles from the WSJ. .
i've always wondered, how's the WSJ? my college professors vouch for it. and i think most would agree its universally an important publication. but what's so great about it? like what makes it different from other newspapers?? thanks. my understanding is that it cost a lot, esp recently they just increased the price :(

Lockfast

New

Post by Lockfast » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:50 pm

Setting my alarm for 30 minutes before class and debating the pros and cons of going. Other days, going to the gym before class.

hichvichwoh

Bronze

Post by hichvichwoh » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:55 pm

yeah, i get up at like 11:30. so my morning is short

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:03 pm

I have class at 9. I set my alarm for 7, but snooze til 8. I get up, shower and shave, brew an ungodly amount of coffee, eat morning start breakfast burritos with sriracha while reading the times, pack the coffee into a bunch of thermoses, then walk to class.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

quijotesca1011

Bronze

Post by quijotesca1011 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:06 pm

Candy Wrappers wrote:
daryldixon wrote:I put the coffee on then read 3-5 articles from the WSJ. .
i've always wondered, how's the WSJ? my college professors vouch for it. and i think most would agree its universally an important publication. but what's so great about it? like what makes it different from other newspapers?? thanks. my understanding is that it cost a lot, esp recently they just increased the price :(
Once you are enrolled, you're probably eligible for a student subscription? It's much more affordable.
Last edited by quijotesca1011 on Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:13 pm

chem! wrote:
ETA: I desperately miss reading for pleasure.
+10,000

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:19 pm

There's time to read for pleasure, at least as a 2L and 3L.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:22 pm

ph14 wrote:There's time to read for pleasure, at least as a 2L and 3L.
I have time, but it's not like it used to be. Not at all. It's all an hour here, an hour there... No marathon sessions with a really good read.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:22 pm

I'm a 1L so this might be more helpful. I'm a morning person (and I don't drink much) so the latest I get up is 8 regardless of what day it is. I make breakfast, shower, and sometimes exercise or get some reading in, depending on how early my class is.

I don't really read anything useful unless you think The Verge or Latino Review are useful. You read a lot of heavy, substantive stuff as a law student so I don't really want to read boring newspapers in my spare time. But I guess some people find current events entertaining, so it depends on what you like, but don't feel like its something you need to do, especially as a first-year.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:25 pm

ph14 wrote:There's time to read for pleasure, at least as a 2L and 3L.
Especially if you commute on the train. I've read so many books during my 30+ minute time on the train (except for that one stint where I was playing 2048 and nearly missed my stop multiple times).

Candy Wrappers

New

Post by Candy Wrappers » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:26 pm

Rahviveh wrote: but don't feel like its something you need to do, especially as a first-year.
thanks!

i know its prob almost final season for most of you, just want to wish you all best of luck!

lawman4

New

Post by lawman4 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:53 pm

As a top 20% IL, the only advice I have for you is to spend your mornings like any other human being. There is no need to get up and start acting like a crazy person in regards to prepping for school. Wake up, shower, eat breakfast while watching TV and then go to school. If you have to read in the morning, you are not doing it right.

For the record, the girl is my study group is most likely 1st in the class and she only spends Friday's reading/briefing for the next ensuing week. She uses the other 4-5 days to study in the afternoon after hell has brewed for the day.

Good luck and DO NOT burn yourself out. You will end up going crazy.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”