Bored GULC 3L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
EzraFitz

Silver

Re: Bored GULC 3L Taking Questions

Post by EzraFitz » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:51 am

awoodard wrote:GULC full-time rising 2L here. This is anecdata, but every single RA I know got their position either through doing well in a professor's class, reaching out through symplicity, or otherwise reaching out to the professor via email or other means. The library folks are great, but probably won't help you find an RA position. Sometimes they are in the know about which professors might want assistants, but I've never heard of an RA getting hired because of such a connection. Unless your prior research experience is actual legal research, a professor is extremely unlikely to hire a 1L; and even then, they do like to see grades before hiring someone, which you wouldn't have til Spring anyway.

It bears repeating that TCR is to focus on grades 1L year. I know it seems like you'll have free time to have an RA position, but 1L and especially 1L spring--which is probably the earliest you could get hired for--is extraordinarily hectic and stressful, at least in my and my friends' experiences. You have a heavier course load for spring, will be stressed by summer job apps, etc. I'd wait til at least 1L summer to go for an RA job.

All that being said, if you're interested in an RA position for 1L summer/2L year, getting to know your profs and showing interest in certain practice areas through your extracurriculars is a good way to go about it.
Definitely all credited, especially the spring grind. I know of a couple people who were offered RA positions for 1L spring (starting in Marchish), and didn't do it. And at least in my experience, you have no idea what to expect 1L spring. Fall was a cakewalk compared to the amount of things on your mind 1L spring.

supersplittysplitter

Bronze

Post by supersplittysplitter » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:07 am

How is criminal justice with Paul Butler? He's in the news a lot, is he a good professor?

GULCPerson

Bronze

Post by GULCPerson » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:35 pm

supersplittysplitter wrote:How is criminal justice with Paul Butler? He's in the news a lot, is he a good professor?
Yes. He's an intimidating presence in the classroom, and the procedure of his class is annoying (25% more reading than your other classes, closed-book exam), but he explains things well and does a good job of pushing students towards an answer, instead of letting the class pointlessly debate each other and stir up their own confusion,

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post removed.

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:01 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:24 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:cart before the horse here, but can anyone link or post a bid list for a median student at GULC? Would love to see NY bidding vs DC only bidding if possible. Been looking around on TLS and haven't come across any
Bidlists are subjective enough that I think what would help you more is the Career Service website data. Private sector hiring grade history is helpful, as well as the general bidlist options at OCI for each city.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:24 pm

Also seriously don't worry about this yet. Just get dem grades yo.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post removed.

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:38 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:39 pm

Or there are precious few 1Ls from GULC on TLS. Your class is gonna change things around here by the look of things.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:40 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:cart before the horse here, but can anyone link or post a bid list for a median student at GULC? Would love to see NY bidding vs DC only bidding if possible. Been looking around on TLS and haven't come across any
Bidlists are subjective enough that I think what would help you more is the Career Service website data. Private sector hiring grade history is helpful, as well as the general bidlist options at OCI for each city.
Cool thanks, not sure if we have access to the career service website yet, we probably do but I haven't dug around there at all.

I know its early just all the bid lists from other schools piqued my curiosity. Not a lot of GULC people asking for help with it. I'm assuming its because they're so confident in themselves/are already guarunteed a job from all the law center preftige
No it's because GULC bidding just opened. A median bidlist at GULC isn't going to look significantly different anyways.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:42 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:
Cool thanks, not sure if we have access to the career service website yet, we probably do but I haven't dug around there at all.

I know its early just all the bid lists from other schools piqued my curiosity. Not a lot of GULC people asking for help with it. I'm assuming its because they're so confident in themselves/are already guarunteed a job from all the law center preftige
No it's because GULC bidding just opened. A median bidlist at GULC isn't going to look significantly different anyways.
I was gonna wish you luck Scotti but don't you already have something set up for Philly?

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post removed.

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:43 pm

Post removed.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:53 pm

Yep I recieved/accepted an offer from the Philly firm that I should be 1L SAing for right now and couldn't be happier.

I actually think it'd be fun to do OCI and see what happens, but Philly is my target market and I have no reason to shop around. Plus with everything my firm has done there's no way I'd want to work elsewhere.

ETA: but I'm also saving hundreds of hours of not having to prep/massmail/interview so I'll survive.

EzraFitz

Silver

Post by EzraFitz » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:12 am

scottidsntknow wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:

Also, I know lots of people doing EIW, but no one seems to talk about it much. Not sure I can say why that is. But yeah, just look to city general ones, and tweak with info from the past bid information spreadsheet.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:15 pm

Do we know when Journal selections get announced?

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:46 am

JustHawkin wrote:Do we know when Journal selections get announced?
I think end of July/first week of August. Obviously they work with the worst possible timeframe for students.

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:27 am

BmoreOrLess wrote:
I think end of July/first week of August. Obviously they work with the worst possible timeframe for students.
Can we just be ahead of schedule one time.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:58 am

Wait so what's the deal with the parking garage? You can only just pay for it daily? Slash does it ever get full?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

EzraFitz

Silver

Post by EzraFitz » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:17 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:Wait so what's the deal with the parking garage? You can only just pay for it daily? Slash does it ever get full?
Yeah 8 bucks a day. And I've seen it full a couple times when the weather was horrid.
JustHawkin wrote:
BmoreOrLess wrote:
Yes please. The fact that we'll be up one of the nights right before EIW updating resumes is ridiculous.

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:18 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:Wait so what's the deal with the parking garage? You can only just pay for it daily? Slash does it ever get full?
I didn't use it but my understanding is you get a pass for free, which gives you the privilege to pay for it daily, and I believe it does get full.

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:26 pm

ChuckBass wrote:
JustHawkin wrote:
BmoreOrLess wrote:
Yes please. The fact that we'll be up one of the nights right before EIW updating resumes is ridiculous.
That's not a huge deal, I'm just fucking pissed I can't have it on my mass mails or use it to 'update' firms I've been in contact with something other than my drop in grades.

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:37 pm

Apparently preferences aren't even due until the 13th? Like I had that done hours after I submitted.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

EzraFitz

Silver

Post by EzraFitz » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:39 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:
ChuckBass wrote:
JustHawkin wrote:
BmoreOrLess wrote:
That's not a huge deal, I'm just fucking pissed I can't have it on my mass mails or use it to 'update' firms I've been in contact with something other than my drop in grades.
It also blows for judges. It's a good reason to update, but for early movers, it's essentially the nail in the coffin.

EzraFitz

Silver

Post by EzraFitz » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:41 pm

JustHawkin wrote:Apparently preferences aren't even due until the 13th? Like I had that done hours after I submitted.
I can only understand it for people who had paper extensions, and won't get their grades until like... now. But how many 1Ls does that actually cover? Enough to push everyone back two weeks?

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:23 pm

ChuckBass wrote:
JustHawkin wrote:Apparently preferences aren't even due until the 13th? Like I had that done hours after I submitted.
I can only understand it for people who had paper extensions, and won't get their grades until like... now. But how many 1Ls does that actually cover? Enough to push everyone back two weeks?
Maybe they do this since they give transfers a later deadline and they want to grade them all at the same time?

EzraFitz

Silver

Post by EzraFitz » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:25 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
ChuckBass wrote:
Maybe they do this since they give transfers a later deadline and they want to grade them all at the same time?
That's a good theory. I still think it tends to screw over some people for some positions (note I might just be bitter here).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”