2.98, 155 -- I have the Upper Hand.. ? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
SickerThanYoAverage

New

2.98, 155 -- I have the Upper Hand.. ?

Post by SickerThanYoAverage » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:04 pm

Background Need-To-Know-Info:

Undergraduate: DePaul University (Maj. Philosophy, Min. Psychology)
GPA: 2.98
December 2013 LSAT: 155, 63rd percentile
Retaking LSAT in June 2014

Now, this is where I need some peace of mind.

I am 22 and live in the suburbs of Chicago with my parents. My dad owns 4 commercial real estate properties downtown and 2 residential properties. All of the properties have tenants. My dad pays lawyers to handle the business/legal end of his work.

What I see in my future is 1) I go to law school. 2) I "take-over" my dad's business and do the work he pays others (lawyers) to do myself.

MY QUESTION IS: Is it necessary that I go to a Tier-1 law school? Now, I see that my LSAT score and GPA won't get me into, say, Northwestern or University of Chicago. I was researching today and thought maybe I could go to Chicago-Kent Law School and work towards specializing in Business Law, Corporate Law, Commercial Real Estate Law, etc. -- something along those lines that will allow me to take my dad's business to the next level. Going to a prestigious law school might increase my chances of working for a big company. But the reason I want to go to law school is not to work for a company, but to advance my dad's business.

My dad is first generation American, born and raised in India. He didn't go to college and worked as a janitor and then got himself into the taxicab business, ultimately buying a few Medallions that led to bigger purchases (commercial real estate). Obviously I have no experience in any of this which is why I was hoping someone could provide me with some insight?

Thanks - Rahul

kalvano

Diamond

Re: 2.98, 155 -- I have the Upper Hand.. ?

Post by kalvano » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:16 pm

You won't be able to take over anything for your dad out of school. You'll need to actually learn how to be a lawyer once you graduate.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:20 pm

Hi - I locked your other thread because it's basically a duplicate of this one, and duplicate threads aren't allowed. I kept this one because it provides more detail. If you have any questions about policies feel free to PM me.

SickerThanYoAverage

New

Post by SickerThanYoAverage » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:33 pm

I understand what you're saying: getting a job after law school will give me the experience that will be necessary to handle the related work of my dad's business.

But on my question regarding the ranking of the law school.. that means it will matter because it will affect the job I get post-grad.

I don't get it.. is it hard for people to make connections and find jobs during their time in law school? Don't they offer internships/networking opportunities that can help you find employment? Why are so many people left with nothing on their plate except a degree after graduating?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:37 pm

Roughly 40,000 students graduate from law school every year. There are roughly 23,000 entry level legal jobs available each year. Two things make up 95% of finding a job: school and grades. Networking is all well and good, but it's of limited usefulness.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:00 am

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:20 am

At 22, I think you should learn your father's business inside and out before you make a decision to go to law school just to reduce the legal costs. You're putting the cart before the horse here.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:04 am

You don't need to go to law school to takeover your dad's current real estate.

6lehderjets

Bronze

Post by 6lehderjets » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:11 am

Balthy wrote:At 22, I think you should learn your father's business inside and out before you make a decision to go to law school just to reduce the legal costs. You're putting the cart before the horse here.
This.

How much does your dad spend on legal fees per year? Is it high enough to justify taking out 150K in loans? Paying a lot of money for law school to save a few thousand dollars in business expenses would be like cutting off your hand to treat a splinter.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”