Is it worth asking current students repping admissions? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
taylorswiftfan

Bronze

Is it worth asking current students repping admissions?

Post by taylorswiftfan » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:42 am

I am not able to visit a law school that I am thinking of attending. However, I wanted to email and contact current students at the school to hear their personal opinions and experiences about the school. But I don't know anyone that goes to the school and the only people I can find are on the school's site (whom the school directly suggests we reach out to). They seem to represent the admissions team as student ambassadors.

There are other students obviously mentioned on the school's site and news sections that probably have linkedin or that I could find their emails on the student directory, but I feel like that might be stalkerish if I messaged them on linkedin to get their input on the school. I just really need to decide soon if I want to attend and I can't seem to make a decision.

I feel like asking students who represent the admissions team is worthless because they won't give me an objective and truthful perspective on their experiences at XYZ law school. Or am I wrong? Is it still worth asking these students?

I'm trying to figure out how I can get in contact with current students at the law school or very recent graduates of the school. However, I really don't want to talk to students who won't give me their honest perspective on the school. What should i do?

guano

Gold

Re: Is it worth asking current students repping admissions?

Post by guano » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:09 am

Which school?

TLS has users representing a lot of schools, or a user might know someone you can contact

despina

Bronze

Re: Is it worth asking current students repping admissions?

Post by despina » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:12 am

I second that you can ask lots of questions here on TLS and get helpful responses.

I think it's also worth contacting official student reps. If your question is "do you like X school" the answer you get might not be helpful or representative, but if it's more specific ("is it hard to sublet your apartment over the summer?" "what's X clinic like?") then they should be able to answer your question or put you in touch with somebody who can.

I've also responded to questions about my school from strangers who have messaged me randomly on facebook and linkedin. I'm more likely to take the time to answer if the questions are short and specific, and if the person says how they found me (even if the answer is "I searched for current students and your name came up first").

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”