Any cardozo law students here? Or recent grads? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
taylorswiftfan

Bronze

Any cardozo law students here? Or recent grads?

Post by taylorswiftfan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:20 am

Are there any Cardozo May program ( if you are in the fall program that's fine too) students who can talk about their experiences in the jd program, Cardozo social life and intellectual environment, and career and internship opportunities?

Also, do you regret coming here? Would you choose cardozo again if you had to choose again?

taylorswiftfan

Bronze

Re: Any cardozo law students here? Or recent grads?

Post by taylorswiftfan » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:23 am

bump

would love to get some advice from current students or recent grads please! thanks! Or if anyone who has friends or family who went to Cardozo and can comment on the JD program that would be greatly appreciated as well.

buffalo_

Bronze

Post by buffalo_ » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:11 pm

bump

ab115

New

Post by ab115 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:17 pm

taylorswiftfan wrote:Are there any Cardozo May program ( if you are in the fall program that's fine too) students who can talk about their experiences in the jd program, Cardozo social life and intellectual environment, and career and internship opportunities?

Also, do you regret coming here? Would you choose cardozo again if you had to choose again?
Current Cardozo 3L. I've had a really positive experience here. For me, the most important things were clinical opportunities and the environment I'd have to learn in for three years. It was really important to me that I'd have the opportunity to learn things in a hands-on way, and Cardozo has a huge breadth of opportunities for experiential education. It was also important to me that the people I would be going to school with were generally friendly and not outrageously competitive, and I found that here. People are generally cool about sharing notes, outlines, etc., and are just cool people to hang out with. Since 2/3 of students take at least a year off, there are people here from a variety of backgrounds and experiences, which also adds to the environment. Of course, everyone here is also smart, so if it's more legal argument/policy discussions you're looking for, or just people who will participate actively and intelligently in class, that's here, too.

I think career and internship opportunities vary based on your experiences and what you do (or do not) take advantage of in the way of clinics and OCS resources. I personally used clinics/externship opportunities to build a pretty strong resume, and used the OCS website and counselors (one in particular) to point me in the right direction/put me in touch with alumni/help me with interviews/etc.

In sum: I don't regret coming to Cardozo at all.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:29 pm

f
Last edited by rad lulz on Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

taylorswiftfan

Bronze

Post by taylorswiftfan » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:45 pm

sad lulz wrote:
ab115 wrote:
taylorswiftfan wrote:Are there any Cardozo May program ( if you are in the fall program that's fine too) students who can talk about their experiences in the jd program, Cardozo social life and intellectual environment, and career and internship opportunities?

Current Cardozo 3L. I've had a really positive experience here. For me, the most important things were clinical opportunities and the environment I'd have to learn in for three years. It was really important to me that I'd have the opportunity to learn things in a hands-on way, and Cardozo has a huge breadth of opportunities for experiential education. It was also important to me that the people I would be going to school with were generally friendly and not outrageously competitive, and I found that here. People are generally cool about sharing notes, outlines, etc., and are just cool people to hang out with. Since 2/3 of students take at least a year off, there are people here from a variety of backgrounds and experiences, which also adds to the environment. Of course, everyone here is also smart, so if it's more legal argument/policy discussions you're looking for, or just people who will participate actively and intelligently in class, that's here, too.

I think career and internship opportunities vary based on your experiences and what you do (or do not) take advantage of in the way of clinics and OCS resources. I personally used clinics/externship opportunities to build a pretty strong resume, and used the OCS website and counselors (one in particular) to point me in the right direction/put me in touch with alumni/help me with interviews/etc.

In sum: I don't regret coming to Cardozo at all.
U hav jerb?

Yeah I'd be curious to know about your job status now. Any more Cardozo students/recent alums here who can talk about their experiences at Cardozo?

ms815

New

Post by ms815 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:00 pm

I am a 2L at Cardozo and wholly agree with ab115. I started in May, though, so feel that I can offer you some additional insights. The May program was fantastic. I think Cardozo is one of the only (if not only) schools that offers this alternative start date. Taking classes over the summer was a great way to transition into law school; by the time the Fall term started, I was completely comfortable at school and had already taken three exams so I had already developed good study habits. School was also much more manageable for me having taken classes over the summer. Instead of the usual 15 credits for each of two semesters (15 in the Fall and 15 in the Spring), I took 10 credits each over the course of three semesters (10 in Summer, 10 in Fall, 10 in Spring). I excelled in all of my classes and found that this schedule really worked for me personally.

I enjoyed the May program socially, as well. While the summer schedule is rigorous, I was able to develop friendships and relationships that have lasted me well into my 2L year. It was also nice in my 1L Fall semester to come back to school already knowing people. And as ab115 noted, the atmosphere here is very warm and friendly—not like the cut throat horror stories you may hear about elsewhere.

As for jobs, most of my friends have firm jobs lined up for this summer that will translate into full-time employment post-graduation. I'm working in-house this summer and am not certain what I want to do afterwards.

tl829

New

Post by tl829 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:57 pm

Current 2L May student - I felt that the May program gave me the opportunity to "adjust" to top-law-schools.com, especially since I came in straight out of undergrad. While the initial summer was intense, it was definitely worth the increased time I had during the rest of the year. The initial summer really teaches you how to manage your time, so in the fall/spring, you can get your readings done much more efficiently.

I agree about the positive social aspects as well - especially during the summer. A good number of my friends also started in May with me, even though we were all split into different sections in the fall. Most people here are pretty chill too, especially with studying together, sharing notes, etc. Also, having more time in the fall/spring will also give you the opportunity to get involved with clubs, internships, or student advocacy groups to build your resume.

As far as employment - in terms of the proportion of people who start in May and end up with certain types of jobs, I feel like it's pretty similar to those who start during the year. Some go into biglaw which will translate into post-grad employment, others go into small to mid-sized firms that may translate into post-grad employment, some go into nonprofits/other public sector jobs, and some go into in-house work.

Beercules

Bronze

Post by Beercules » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:38 pm

Flurry of posts by username consisting of two initials and three letters touting May program and Cardozo in general, sounds like the adcomms are working overtime.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:33 pm

Beercules wrote:Flurry of posts by username consisting of two initials and three letters touting May program and Cardozo in general, sounds like the adcomms are working overtime.
how embarrassing

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:39 pm

ms815 wrote: As for jobs, most of my friends have firm jobs lined up for this summer that will translate into full-time employment post-graduation.
O rly?

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:40 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
Beercules wrote:Flurry of posts by username consisting of two initials and three letters touting May program and Cardozo in general, sounds like the adcomms are working overtime.
how embarrassing
don't even worry about it because they all got jobs leading to full time employment.

Beercules

Bronze

Post by Beercules » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:40 am

goldeneye wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
how embarrassing
don't even worry about it because they all got jobs leading to full time employment.
No but really, are you guys even trying? You could have made that a bittttt less obvious.

-BC514

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Elleonleo

New

Post by Elleonleo » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:29 pm

Well I would like to make a distinction here. Clearly if people here are fake as in completely making up a pleasant story then that's just unethical and shameful. But if people replying here (and the names do seem suspicious) are just students employed by or volunteering for the school and are sharing real stories, then I don't think there is a problem.

Elleonleo

New

Post by Elleonleo » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:09 am

Also bump because I'm very curious as well.
Thanks

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:13 pm

I'm a current student here (fall entry), and for the most part, I've enjoyed the past two years and don't regret coming. However, my decision in coming to Cardozo was based on: 1) full ride scholly, and 2) good placement in the PI niche that I want. I also worked in that niche for a few years prior to coming to law school, so a lot of those people will be helpful when I start applying for full-time work and they've already been spectacular in helping me get my summer jobs.

That said, I got those summer jobs entirely on my own with zero help from career services. If I'd "relied" on them, I would've missed the early application deadlines both summers (the application deadline for my upcoming summer job was in September of my 2L year, but career services wasn't even aware of that). My one "resume review" with career services was a joke. I've actually turned to two prof's who worked in that market and still have ties for advice on courses to take, clinics, etc. I know everyone dogs on their career services office, but ours really is that bad.

As far as environment goes, it's generally a pretty relaxed place to be once you isolate the douchey gunners. I've made a lot of friends here, and we don't have any problem with sharing notes, outlines, etc. with each other. With a few noted exceptions, I've really liked the prof's I've had here. A lot of prof's still have connections to the market they came from, and one of my favorite prof's is actually not teaching this semester because he's involved in litigation alongside the NYCLU.

If you have any specific questions I can try to answer those.

P.S. I have no idea who the "current students" are earlier in the thread. I call BS.

Elleonleo

New

Post by Elleonleo » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:43 pm

haha what in heavens is going on here??

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tl829

New

Post by tl829 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:55 pm

No, I'm a current student. Yes, Admissions asked me to share my input. As for jobs - I got mine last year through the PILC fair and by following up afterwards. This year - I applied through an OCS listing.

As for OCS - I haven't used them at all this year. The first resume review I went to last year was...unpleasant, the second one (with a different person) was a lot better in terms of experience, but I didn't get too much out of it.

Beercules

Bronze

Post by Beercules » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:52 am

tl829 wrote:No, I'm a current student. Yes, Admissions asked me to share my input. As for jobs - I got mine last year through the PILC fair and by following up afterwards. This year - I applied through an OCS listing.

As for OCS - I haven't used them at all this year. The first resume review I went to last year was...unpleasant, the second one (with a different person) was a lot better in terms of experience, but I didn't get too much out of it.
lol, did they ask you to all register with usernames in the same format so they could identify you for your extra credit?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”