Length of Summer Jobs Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Current students: did/will you have any "time off" between classes and your summer job(s)?

Yes, a week or so between spring exams and summer job
7%
Yes, a week or so between summer job and fall classes/OCI
13%
Yes, a week or so in between two different summer jobs
No votes
Yes, a week or so both before and after
27%
Yes, and it was longer than 1-2 weeks free
13%
Nope, worked pretty much the whole 12 weeks!
40%

Total votes: 15

ZipWhenSheMoves

Bronze

Length of Summer Jobs

Post by ZipWhenSheMoves » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:09 pm

During your 1L and 2L summers, how long do summer jobs usually last? Summer "break" seems to be about 3 months, similar to undergrad- are jobs generally for about 2 months of that (ex. June and July), longer, shorter? I'm sure it depends somewhat, but thank you in advance for any insight!
Last edited by ZipWhenSheMoves on Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustHawkin

Gold

Re: Length of Summer Jobs

Post by JustHawkin » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:42 pm

Good question. Also curious!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:45 pm

it depends on the firm.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:49 pm

10 weeks and 12 weeks seem to be pretty common, for firms and govt/non-profits.

nouseforaname123

Bronze

Post by nouseforaname123 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:36 pm

Really depends on the specific employer(s) and a school's academic calendar. Some have programs that are six weeks long. Others can go as long as twelve weeks, but only ask you to be there a minimum of six weeks. Others may ask you to stay for the full twelve weeks. Some employers may only host during the first half of the summer, others during the second half, and others may host for the entire summer.

As a summer associate, I was able to work for one firm for 7 weeks and then a second firm for 6 weeks, for 13 total weeks of paid work in one summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:31 pm

Most big firms seem to do 10-12 weeks, but there seems to be some flexibility.

horriblegb

Bronze

Post by horriblegb » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:34 pm

As for me, both of my summer jobs blended in with the school years and continued part time. One was research assitant and the other was govt.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:33 pm

Another questions for you guys, how does it work if your summer associate position is in another city? For example, a UMich bro taking a SA in NYC. How do you get an apartment for 3 months? Plus you still have to pay rent on your place in Ann Arbor. Logistically it seems very difficult to be able to really save much money from a SA position, unless I am missing something.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:06 pm

Winston1984 wrote:Another questions for you guys, how does it work if your summer associate position is in another city? For example, a UMich bro taking a SA in NYC. How do you get an apartment for 3 months? Plus you still have to pay rent on your place in Ann Arbor. Logistically it seems very difficult to be able to really save much money from a SA position, unless I am missing something.
Subletting.

Also, if you have an SA that's paying something in the $20k-$30k range, cry me a river if you can't find a subletter and have to spend a little bit more of that ridiculous (and largely unearned) cash on rent. Have some sympathy for those us with unpaid government jobs in another city. We manage somehow; so should someone with a SA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jn7

Bronze

Post by jn7 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:11 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Winston1984 wrote:Another questions for you guys, how does it work if your summer associate position is in another city? For example, a UMich bro taking a SA in NYC. How do you get an apartment for 3 months? Plus you still have to pay rent on your place in Ann Arbor. Logistically it seems very difficult to be able to really save much money from a SA position, unless I am missing something.
Subletting.

Also, if you have an SA that's paying something in the $20k-$30k range, cry me a river if you can't find a subletter and have to spend a little bit more of that ridiculous (and largely unearned) cash on rent. Have some sympathy for those us with unpaid government jobs in another city. We manage somehow; so should someone with a SA.
What I wouldn't give for like $20k right now...a couple days ago I was celebrating the ~$2k credit we get back on taxes for tuition and thinking "there's no END to the possibilities!"

twenty 8

Bronze

Post by twenty 8 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:28 pm

As noted most are 10 weeks, some 12. I was given the opportunity to work during the entire summer but I opted to take a 2 week vacation break so mine was closer to 14 weeks.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:36 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Subletting.

I didn't mean to offend, just an 0L here curious about the situation.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:43 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Subletting.

Also, if you have an SA that's paying something in the $20k-$30k range, cry me a river if you can't find a subletter and have to spend a little bit more of that ridiculous (and largely unearned) cash on rent
yeah, especially with the ridiculously low law school tuition these days.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:58 pm

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:36 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Subletting.

Also, if you have an SA that's paying something in the $20k-$30k range, cry me a river if you can't find a subletter and have to spend a little bit more of that ridiculous (and largely unearned) cash on rent
Considering the pretty high cost of rent a lot of law students have to pay because of where their law schools are located (e.g. Manhattan, Cambridge, etc.), and the pretty ridiculous COL in NYC, paying double rent over the summer would be fairly painful even with SA money.
I was being sarcastic.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:06 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Subletting.

Oddly, it's not any cheaper for people going into PI.

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:11 pm

Guys, rink is going into public interest so fuck off for trying to save money. Fuck off super hard.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

girlrunning

New

Post by girlrunning » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:53 am

Southern markets tend to do/encourage split summers. Normally, it's a minimum of six weeks at each. If your summer is longer and the firm's summer program is not six exactly six weeks, you get to choose if you want an extra week or two at the firm.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:20 pm

POTUS2044

New

Post by POTUS2044 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:19 am

I will have 10 days after 2nd semester before my SA starts, and 2 days (so just a weekend) afterwards before job fairs+OCI. This seems to be fairly typical.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:43 am

Aside from the financial rent aspect, places offer 3 month leases? Never signed a lease for less than a year personally.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:27 am

Clearly wrote:Aside from the financial rent aspect, places offer 3 month leases? Never signed a lease for less than a year personally.
Sublet from another student who needs to be elsewhere for the summer.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:51 pm

Clearly wrote:Aside from the financial rent aspect, places offer 3 month leases? Never signed a lease for less than a year personally.
you never subletted in college?

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:14 pm

james.bungles wrote:
you never subletted in college?
noap.

ZipWhenSheMoves

Bronze

Post by ZipWhenSheMoves » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:16 pm

Thank you everyone for all your input so far- I really appreciate hearing everyone's perspective. I'm going to add a poll for current students to see if there's any kind of consensus on whether people did have a break before/after their summer jobs.

Some people have also already made note of this, but did you find that when interviewing for positions that firms/offices were flexible for when the job was, or was it already determined when you were applying?

Thanks All!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”