If you could, would you do law school in two years? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Two years or three?

Two (get the fuck out as quick as you can!)
67%
Three (you need that extra time.)
33%

Total votes: 64

mirroroferised7

Silver

If you could, would you do law school in two years?

Post by mirroroferised7 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:49 pm

This question is for 3Ls/Grads.

I've been admitted to Northwestern's AJD program. They seem to have a pretty similar stats as far as employment and salary. And the faculty seems pretty dedicated to making this 2 year program work. AJD's also have their "2L" summer free to work, and seem to be doing fairly well at securing work there. The one downside is having to start in May, and put in my deposit by mid-March.

But, I've also seen a lot of posts by 1Ls, 2Ls, and 3Ls about how many levels of bullshit classes and legal education actually are. It seems like a lot of students just want to get it over with and get back to the real world as soon as possible. And they also want to start paying off their debt as soon as possible.

So, my question is: If YOU were offered the opportunity to get law school done in 2 years, would you do it? Why or why not?
Last edited by mirroroferised7 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DebtMuch

New

Re: If you could, would you do law school in two years?

Post by DebtMuch » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:23 pm

Absolutely! 3L (unless you want to clerk or just oddly like sucking up to professors) is a pointless joke!

Nyclawyer618

New

Post by Nyclawyer618 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:34 pm

No, you'll miss out on a lot of opportunities and be less educated. Firms are beginning to recognize this as well, hence the latest trends.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:41 pm

Nyclawyer618 wrote:No, you'll miss out on a lot of opportunities and be less educated. Firms are beginning to recognize this as well, hence the latest trends.
lol @ "less educated"

please, regale us with these "latest trends"

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:31 pm

Nyclawyer618 wrote:No, you'll miss out on a lot of opportunities and be less educated. Firms are beginning to recognize this as well, hence the latest trends.
Yeaaahhhhh, this is super vague. Going to need some elaboration.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:36 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:38 pm

if the employment prospects are equivalent to the 3-year program, you'd be insane not to do it. but the program is so new that i wouldn't know who to trust re: employment outcomes.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:39 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:Nonetheless, if you enjoy learning the law in and of itself, that could be a downside.
you can get that for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:43 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:45 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
patogordo wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:Nonetheless, if you enjoy learning the law in and of itself, that could be a downside.
Yeah, but I will have a degree. And you'll be servin' my kids fries at a drive-thru on our way to a skiing trip.
congratulations on successfully identifying the reference i was making but yours makes no sense b/c the 2-year program gives you the same degree.

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:47 pm

patogordo wrote:
^This. I have my whole life to "enjoy learning the law".
brotherdarkness wrote: I'm not sure how two-year programs work, but I'm assuming that you won't be able to take the same number of classes. That probably won't make any difference with regard to your ability to practice law given that, from what I've heard, you learn everything on the job. Nonetheless, if you enjoy learning the law in and of itself, that could be a downside.
You take your entire 1L year (except 1, maybe 2 courses) over the summer before all the 1Ls start. Then, you jump into classes and OCI with the 2Ls (taking one extra 1L class that fall), and basically take the same number of classes/credits from there.

And, to be honest, I've talked to people on TLS, the AJD facebook group with AJD first and second years, and even emailed a couple of the AJD's that Northwestern listed as part of the student admissions team. They all confirmed that only one or two of their classmates, out of a 30-35 person class, didn't get a summer position, or doesn't all ready have a job lined up for when they graduate.

Plus, the AJD's are (by all appearances) a super tight-knit group that have a database of outlines for ALL the 1L classes, and lot of the other classes, too.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:48 pm

what's the tuition difference?

Nyclawyer618

New

Post by Nyclawyer618 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:50 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:
patogordo wrote:
^This. I have my whole life to "enjoy learning the law".
brotherdarkness wrote: I'm not sure how two-year programs work, but I'm assuming that you won't be able to take the same number of classes. That probably won't make any difference with regard to your ability to practice law given that, from what I've heard, you learn everything on the job. Nonetheless, if you enjoy learning the law in and of itself, that could be a downside.
You take your entire 1L year (except 1, maybe 2 courses) over the summer before all the 1Ls start. Then, you jump into classes and OCI with the 2Ls (taking one extra 1L class that fall), and basically take the same number of classes/credits from there.

And, to be honest, I've talked to people on TLS, the AJD facebook group with AJD first and second years, and even emailed a couple of the AJD's that Northwestern listed as part of the student admissions team. They all confirmed that only one or two of their classmates, out of a 30-35 person class, didn't get a summer position, or doesn't all ready have a job lined up for when they graduate.

Plus, the AJD's are (by all appearances) a super tight-knit group that have a database of outlines for ALL the 1L classes, and lot of the other classes, too.
Then why did you post asking about it? You seem pretty set. haha Good Luck

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:52 pm

Nyclawyer618 wrote: Then why did you post asking about it? You seem pretty set. haha Good Luck
wait are you really gonna leave us hanging with those "recent trends" of yours?

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:58 pm

patogordo wrote:what's the tuition difference?
Tuition is (unfortunately) the same as the three year program. I just have one less year of wracking up interest I'm not paying off, and not working to cover living expenses.

Nyclawyer618 wrote: Then why did you post asking about it? You seem pretty set. haha Good Luck
I wanted to make sure there wasn't someone with quantifiable proof showing that the 3rd year of law school is actually important, and you really need the quality time to stew in the legal "academic" environment.

To be honest, this Northwestern AJD program just kind of seems to good to be true, and all of my attempts to find the flaw thus far have only led to bigger pluses.

Also, still a bit nervous on committing to classes in May when I know the scholarship negotiation bloodbath will just be getting started.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:04 pm

with no tuition difference it's not a huge improvement (and it's really more like 2.5 yr JD with the summer right). i mean if you're comparing NU 3 yr to NU AJD I think AJD is ez choice if employment outcomes are the same. but with no tuition discount it's not a no-brainer vs other law schools.

kemosabe

Bronze

Post by kemosabe » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:10 pm

I'm also interested in this topic. Thanks for starting the thread. I definitely agree that my main concern is having to commit so early.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:27 pm

patogordo wrote:with no tuition difference it's not a huge improvement (and it's really more like 2.5 yr JD with the summer right). i mean if you're comparing NU 3 yr to NU AJD I think AJD is ez choice if employment outcomes are the same. but with no tuition discount it's not a no-brainer vs other law schools.
That's how I feel as well.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:43 pm

I do not see any advantage from the third-year program that an AJD will/cannot have. Other than the fact that AJDs are way busier cause they have to take more credits per semester.

echooo23

Bronze

Post by echooo23 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:19 pm

Downside with AJD program is that the class is only ~30 people or whatever. Coming up above median on the curve is way harder when the overall pool is so small.

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:12 pm

echooo23 wrote:Downside with AJD program is that the class is only ~30 people or whatever. Coming up above median on the curve is way harder when the overall pool is so small.
30 person curve only applies over the first summer, but that could be enough to sink me for OCI. It's true.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Learn_Live_Hope

Silver

Post by Learn_Live_Hope » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:28 pm

Last edited by Learn_Live_Hope on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Learn_Live_Hope

Silver

Post by Learn_Live_Hope » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:29 pm

Last edited by Learn_Live_Hope on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:47 pm

3L, and I constantly wonder what I'm still doing here, and why I'm paying top dollar for the privilege to do it. If you're not a professor/administrator, there really isn't any value-add to the third year, other than the ability to enjoy lots of R&R guilt-free (which, admittedly, is pretty awesome, but not $60k of awesome).

It's too bad this program doesn't prorate tuition to two years, but you'll still come out ahead on opportunity cost (assuming you get a decent job); that is, at least you'll be bringing in a salary that third year instead of playing golf. So I'd still go for it.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:15 am

Are you fucking kidding me? Who the fuck actually wants to spend a third year in law school? Do you like giving an extra year of your life and opportunity cost to your boomer overseers in law school? Weirdos.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”