Law school resume length with a PhD Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
mx23250

Silver

Law school resume length with a PhD

Post by mx23250 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:25 pm

Question for law students/grads who came from a scientific background, particularly a PhD:

How long was your resume during law school? Did you ever go over 1 page, or hear that it's okay, if necessary?

Obviously it's strongly recommended all law school resumes be no longer than 1 page. However, when you're applying for positions in patent law, employers will want to know about your work experience and technical background, which would include seeing that you've published in relevant subject matter. My publications alone (10 of them) would fill about 1/3 of a page. I believe I can condense my academic "CV" from 8 pages into 1 pages by eliminating all the stuff that legal employers don't care about, but I still don't think I can fit it into 1 page unless I omit my list of publications or examples of highly relevant work experience/fellowships.

Thanks in advance!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Law school resume length with a PhD

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:44 pm

Not in science, but applied to law school/legal jobs with a PhD. I used a 2 pp resume for everything, and am gainfully employed (and was all through law school). I did so because my CSO expressly told me 2 pp was fine in my case. (I worked during the PhD and for 6 years post PhD as well.) But I'll add the caveat that although I did end up at a firm 2L summer, I didn't send a lot of applications to biglaw (there isn't much biglaw in my part of the world/my grades were a little low). So I can't really comment on whether they'd care.

I also omitted publications and just listed "X number of publications/presentations at academic conferences between date-date, details available on request" but my PhD field is irrelevant to law, which probably isn't the case for you. Another possibility is to do an addendum with your publications, so they aren't technically a part of your resume and someone could trash them if they weren't interested (this was again a recommendation from my CSO, who was pretty good, although I know most people don't trust them; point is just that I didn't make that up out of the blue).

mx23250

Silver

Post by mx23250 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:15 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Not in science, but applied to law school/legal jobs with a PhD. I used a 2 pp resume for everything, and am gainfully employed (and was all through law school). I did so because my CSO expressly told me 2 pp was fine in my case. (I worked during the PhD and for 6 years post PhD as well.) But I'll add the caveat that although I did end up at a firm 2L summer, I didn't send a lot of applications to biglaw (there isn't much biglaw in my part of the world/my grades were a little low). So I can't really comment on whether they'd care.

I also omitted publications and just listed "X number of publications/presentations at academic conferences between date-date, details available on request" but my PhD field is irrelevant to law, which probably isn't the case for you. Another possibility is to do an addendum with your publications, so they aren't technically a part of your resume and someone could trash them if they weren't interested (this was again a recommendation from my CSO, who was pretty good, although I know most people don't trust them; point is just that I didn't make that up out of the blue).
Thanks for the great input!

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:16 pm

When I interviewed with MBB firms that regularly hire PhD's they still expected one page. That makes me think that biglaw also expects one page resume even though you have a PhD.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:24 pm

Pokemon wrote:When I interviewed with MBB firms that regularly hire PhD's they still expected one page. That makes me think that biglaw also expects one page resume even though you have a PhD.
Why?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:41 pm

mx23250 wrote:Question for law students/grads who came from a scientific background, particularly a PhD:

How long was your resume during law school? Did you ever go over 1 page, or hear that it's okay, if necessary?

Obviously it's strongly recommended all law school resumes be no longer than 1 page. However, when you're applying for positions in patent law, employers will want to know about your work experience and technical background, which would include seeing that you've published in relevant subject matter. My publications alone (10 of them) would fill about 1/3 of a page. I believe I can condense my academic "CV" from 8 pages into 1 pages by eliminating all the stuff that legal employers don't care about, but I still don't think I can fit it into 1 page unless I omit my list of publications or examples of highly relevant work experience/fellowships.

Thanks in advance!
Anecdotal, but I remember during OCI the CDO told some patent people to take publications off their resume to keep it shorter. They learned after they started practicing that that advice is not correct. Definitely don't have 8 pages though.

mx23250

Silver

Post by mx23250 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:43 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
mx23250 wrote:Question for law students/grads who came from a scientific background, particularly a PhD:

Thanks in advance!
Anecdotal, but I remember during OCI the CDO told some patent people to take publications off their resume to keep it shorter. They learned after they started practicing that that advice is not correct. Definitely don't have 8 pages though.
Yeah, I think it's good to include publications in order to convey your expertise with credibility. I began working on a "law school resume" yesterday (I'm an 0L beginning in the fall) and with publications it looks like it will be around 1.5 pages. I decided to leave out a lot and eliminate about 90% of my grad school awards/honors/scholarships. I also have an MBA, so that adds on a few extra lines too, unfortunately. And once I add in my law school "education", that will add a few more lines. I may have to figure out a better format for condensing everything without losing important credentials.

Thanks for all your input!

Cocoblues

Bronze

Post by Cocoblues » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:23 pm

mx23250 wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:

Thanks in advance!
Yeah, I think it's good to include publications in order to convey your expertise with credibility. I began working on a "law school resume" yesterday (I'm an 0L beginning in the fall) and with publications it looks like it will be around 1.5 pages. I decided to leave out a lot and eliminate about 90% of my grad school awards/honors/scholarships. I also have an MBA, so that adds on a few extra lines too, unfortunately. And once I add in my law school "education", that will add a few more lines. I may have to figure out a better format for condensing everything without losing important credentials.

Wowzer!!!! :shock: Ph.D., MBA, JD!!

mx23250

Silver

Post by mx23250 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:27 pm

Cocoblues wrote:
mx23250 wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Wowzer!!!! :shock: Ph.D., MBA, JD!!
Haha. Believe it or not, but I do have a very specific career path in mind where all 3 degrees will be of use :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cocoblues

Bronze

Post by Cocoblues » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:03 pm

Haha. Believe it or not, but I do have a very specific career path in mind where all 3 degrees will be of use :)
I totally hear you!!! :lol: You will be a rare commodity when you're done!

mx23250

Silver

Post by mx23250 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:09 pm

Cocoblues wrote:
I totally hear you!!! :lol: You will be a rare commodity when you're done!
Thanks! I sure hope so :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”