Loyola PLIP (Patent Law Interview Prog.) -Any reason not to? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ScottRiqui

Gold

Loyola PLIP (Patent Law Interview Prog.) -Any reason not to?

Post by ScottRiqui » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:09 pm

I don't know too much about PLIP, other than it's held in Chicago in late July/early August. For someone who definitely wants to do patent/IP work, is there any reason not to try to attend? Is there any difference between the jobs that come out of PLIP versus OCI? The idea of even possibly having an offer before 2L OCI starts is pretty attractive.

patogordo

Gold

Re: Loyola PLIP (Patent Law Interview Prog.) -Any reason not to?

Post by patogordo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:14 pm

if you want to do patent/IP work you'd be pretty dumb not to. even if it's the same firms that come to your OCI, you get a second shot at them and don't have to worry about being unlucky in a lottery.

i doubt you're gonna have an offer before 2L OCI, though. most firms just don't get back with CBs fast enough for that.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:46 pm

patogordo wrote:if you want to do patent/IP work you'd be pretty dumb not to. even if it's the same firms that come to your OCI, you get a second shot at them and don't have to worry about being unlucky in a lottery.

i doubt you're gonna have an offer before 2L OCI, though. most firms just don't get back with CBs fast enough for that.
Thanks. I wasn't sure about the timing; I browsed though the last few pages of the 2013 PLIP thread, and it sounded like some people were getting decisions (including some offers) by late August/early September.

For a particular firm/office, would the summer associate experience probably be the same whether the offer came through PLIP or OCI? I've heard that there are some avenues to an offer that result in an associate doing strictly IP/Patent work, rather than rotating through the various departments during their summer. I don't know if they were talking about PLIP, though.

zylaxice

New

Post by zylaxice » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:31 pm

ScottRiqui wrote: For a particular firm/office, would the summer associate experience probably be the same whether the offer came through PLIP or OCI? I've heard that there are some avenues to an offer that result in an associate doing strictly IP/Patent work, rather than rotating through the various departments during their summer. I don't know if they were talking about PLIP, though.
I've never heard of a situation where the same firm was rotating some SAs and not rotating others based on where they interviewed. If you demonstrate an interest in IP, even if it's at OCI and not at PLIP, it would silly for them to rotate you if they need/plan on dedicated IP summer associates. Some firms will rotate, and some will promise an IP-specific summer associate program, but that shouldn't change based on where you interviewed.

The advantage of PLIP is getting to talk to potentially more firms, including some firms that might not be at your school's OCI, and getting two bites at the bidding process.

Also, you're much more likely to have an interviewer at PLIP who actually knows something about their firm's IP practice, avoiding the awkward situation where you walk into an OCI interview to find a regulatory/energy associate who can't answer any questions you might have.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:05 am

zylaxice wrote:
I've never heard of a situation where the same firm was rotating some SAs and not rotating others based on where they interviewed. If you demonstrate an interest in IP, even if it's at OCI and not at PLIP, it would silly for them to rotate you if they need/plan on dedicated IP summer associates. Some firms will rotate, and some will promise an IP-specific summer associate program, but that shouldn't change based on where you interviewed.
Thanks. The difference I was hearing may have been comparing different firms, or possibly comparing IP SAs to non-IP SAs, rather than the difference being based on when/where the offer was made (OCI vs. PLIP)
zylaxice wrote:The advantage of PLIP is getting to talk to potentially more firms, including some firms that might not be at your school's OCI, and getting two bites at the bidding process.
I'll be at UT, and I'm only interested in working in Dallas, so I'll be curious to see if there are Dallas firms that come to PLIP but not OCI. Regardless, the "two bites at the apple" thing makes a lot of sense, so I'll definitely plan on applying at PLIP before 2L.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:09 am

some firms rotate everyone through practice areas (or give them work from different practice areas) no matter what. some firms pretty much keep IP people with the IP group all summer. some firms do whatever you want based on your preferences. whether you interview at PLIP or OCI really makes no difference. honestly, most of the firms i did callbacks with didn't even remember where i had interviewed when i showed up.

iliketurtles123

Bronze

Post by iliketurtles123 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:24 am

Sorry to sorta hijack but can someone explain the PLIP? I can't find any info on this board about it besides status threads.

Also, is this only for Loyola students or for everyone? If everyone, that means we should fly to Chicago?

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:29 am

iliketurtles123 wrote:Sorry to sorta hijack but can someone explain the PLIP? I can't find any info on this board about it besides status threads.

Also, is this only for Loyola students or for everyone? If everyone, that means we should fly to Chicago?
anyone, but really only useful for people interested in patent law. yes, you fly to chicago.

http://www.luc.edu/law/career/patent.html

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:03 am

patogordo wrote:
iliketurtles123 wrote:Sorry to sorta hijack but can someone explain the PLIP? I can't find any info on this board about it besides status threads.

anyone, but really only useful for people interested in patent law. yes, you fly to chicago.

http://www.luc.edu/law/career/patent.html
Reading through that link, it says that about 1,500 people apply each year, with about half of them getting interviews. Presumably, that includes 2Ls, 3Ls and even some graduates. Since PLIP sounds like a great opportunity for IP types, does this tell us something about the size of the IP niche? I knew already that I don't see a lot of IP talk here on TLS, but it sounds like it might be an even smaller community than I originally thought.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

patent-o

New

Post by patent-o » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:54 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
patogordo wrote:if you want to do patent/IP work you'd be pretty dumb not to. even if it's the same firms that come to your OCI, you get a second shot at them and don't have to worry about being unlucky in a lottery.

Thanks. I wasn't sure about the timing; I browsed though the last few pages of the 2013 PLIP thread, and it sounded like some people were getting decisions (including some offers) by late August/early September.

For a particular firm/office, would the summer associate experience probably be the same whether the offer came through PLIP or OCI? I've heard that there are some avenues to an offer that result in an associate doing strictly IP/Patent work, rather than rotating through the various departments during their summer. I don't know if they were talking about PLIP, though.
I participated in the 2013 PLIP. Things moved extremely quick after interviewing. I interviewed both Thursday and Friday, and I started receiving CB's on the Monday (I had 29 interviews at Loyola and 20 CB's). Offers are made extremely quickly. For example, there were several times where I received an offer the day after I had interviewed. I'm doing a split summer, and I locked in one of my offers by the end of August, and the other by the beginning of September. My personal impression after doing the CB's was that the firms are not waiting until OCI's are over to make an offer, and that PLIP is where they get their IP SA's.

I highly recommend doing PLIP, as it was a fantastic experience. There is a huge selection of firms to pick from, and it was really enjoyable to meet the different interviewers. There is a huge demand for people doing IP, particularly people who have an EE/CS background, which is part of why I was so lucky. There is no reason no to do PLIP. If nothing comes of it, it's a great interviewing experience. If something does, you get to sit back and relax while everyone is stressing about OCI's :)

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:05 pm

patent-o wrote: I participated in the 2013 PLIP. Things moved extremely quick after interviewing. I interviewed both Thursday and Friday, and I started receiving CB's on the Monday (I had 29 interviews at Loyola and 20 CB's). Offers are made extremely quickly. For example, there were several times where I received an offer the day after I had interviewed. I'm doing a split summer, and I locked in one of my offers by the end of August, and the other by the beginning of September. My personal impression after doing the CB's was that the firms are not waiting until OCI's are over to make an offer, and that PLIP is where they get their IP SA's.

I highly recommend doing PLIP, as it was a fantastic experience. There is a huge selection of firms to pick from, and it was really enjoyable to meet the different interviewers. There is a huge demand for people doing IP, particularly people who have an EE/CS background, which is part of why I was so lucky. There is no reason no to do PLIP. If nothing comes of it, it's a great interviewing experience. If something does, you get to sit back and relax while everyone is stressing about OCI's :)
Thanks for the post - I'm definitely going now, especially if PLIP is where firms are getting most or all of their IP SAs.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:19 pm

it's totally worth it. i didn't get a job out of it but i would do it again every time.

skri65

Bronze

Post by skri65 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:18 am

Two questions

1.) so there is definitely nothing wrong with interviewing in OCI for firms that rejected you at PLIP? Wouldn't the firm explicitly advise you not to do this?

2.). I've heard conflicting thoughts on the demand of CS majors for patent firms. How would a T30 top 25% patent bar eligible CS major fair in terms of screeners/callbacks at PLIP?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:47 pm

rejected as in didn't preselect you? Or didn't give you a CB?

if they didn't PS you then definitely bid again at oci. but if you did a screener I don't think I would reapply, at least not to the same office unless you want to interview for a non-IP spot

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:07 pm

I switched firms 3L year to a market-paying IP "bigtique" because my wife didn't want to move to NY. I got the job through PLIP. I say this not to brag but to point out how much opportunity there is, 3L market jobs are not common even in IP.

If you're qualified and interested you're crazy not to go there because it's just more opportunity.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”