Transactional Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
mchelle

New

Transactional Law

Post by mchelle » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:58 pm

I am a recent college graduate planning to apply to law school in the 2014-2015 cycle. I am interested in pursuing transactional law after law school. I would really appreciate it if someone could give some advice as to what kind of preparation -- ie skills, business acumen, job experience-- would be useful for transactional law. I have read several articles about how corporate lawyers work differently from litigators because the former serve as primarily business advisers.
In particular, I am wondering about what types of work experiences during my gap period would be most beneficial to practicing transactional law. Is working as a paralegal helpful at all, or would working in the financial industry or in a company be more helpful? Are job positions working directly with different clients more worthwhile than those involving research at a computer?
Thank you!

brotherdarkness

Gold

Re: Transactional Law

Post by brotherdarkness » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:02 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:42 pm

If you can get a desirable job of any kind before law school, do it. Then you won't need to go to law school. No pre-law job is going to give you meaningful experience for law and your grades and school will outweigh anything else you do.

mchelle

New

Post by mchelle » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:07 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:If you can get a gig in the finance or banking industry, I'd recommend doing so.
Thanks! What positions in these industries would you recommend? Are basic administrative assistant or research positions (such as proxy research or any very basic data entry not involving financial analysis) irrelevant?

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Post by holdencaulfield » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:18 pm

What type of transactional law are you interested in? What's your UG degree in?

Banking or accounting experience would probably be the best, generally speaking.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”