Bottom 5% at T14 or Top 5% at ~T70? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Psingh

New

Bottom 5% at T14 or Top 5% at ~T70?

Post by Psingh » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:36 pm

For the purposes of finding a job in one of the major cities such as NYC or LA, would the employers prefer to hire someone who graduated in the top 5% of a low ranked school vs someone who graduated pretty much in the bottom of his class from a T14 school?

The reason I'm asking is because if your application is just barely strong enough to get into a T14, your application is most likely strong enough to get into a lower ranked school with a good scholarship. So if employment prospects are better for the lower ranked school if you graduate on top of your class, you'll be in less debt and find a job more easily. Also you'll excel in law school because you're competing against a much much easier curve than if you went to a T14. So it would be a win-win situation for you. This is just something I thought of. What do you guys think?

Diamond

Re: Bottom 5% at T14 or Top 5% at ~T70?

Post by 09042014 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:39 pm

Bottom 5% at a T14 would be well below bottom quarter at a T69 school.

ClerkAdvisor

Bronze

Post by ClerkAdvisor » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:58 pm

Psingh wrote:For the purposes of finding a job in one of the major cities such as NYC or LA, would the employers prefer to hire someone who graduated in the top 5% of a low ranked school vs someone who graduated pretty much in the bottom of his class from a T14 school?

The reason I'm asking is because if your application is just barely strong enough to get into a T14, your application is most likely strong enough to get into a lower ranked school with a good scholarship. So if employment prospects are better for the lower ranked school if you graduate on top of your class, you'll be in less debt and find a job more easily. Also you'll excel in law school because you're competing against a much much easier curve than if you went to a T14. So it would be a win-win situation for you. This is just something I thought of. What do you guys think?
No.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=189981

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:59 pm

Psingh wrote:For the purposes of finding a job in one of the major cities such as NYC or LA, would the employers prefer to hire someone who graduated in the top 5% of a low ranked school vs someone who graduated pretty much in the bottom of his class from a T14 school?

Good God this is bad thinking.

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:05 pm

Unless there's just a huge IQ gap, people perform better around smart people working hard. For employment though, top 5 percent at a TTTT is better than bottom 5 percent at a non-HYS. I just dk why this would impact school choices.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawhopeful10

Silver

Post by lawhopeful10 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:10 pm

This has been discussed a million times on this site. Your odds of success at a lower rank school go up slightly but not enough to catch the drop in employment statistics. So if you have normal numbers for a T-14 but choose a regional school instead you might have slightly higher odds at doing well but no guarantee and the employment drop off is much greater. So sure for some people a free ride to a regional is the better choice but don't just assume you will be top 10% or something.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:12 pm

Your hypo is bad and you should feel bad.

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:15 pm

If you take the full ride, you'll probably be median. If you go to T14, you'll probably be median.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:20 pm

To answer your question: top 5% at T70 is in a much better position than bottom 5% at a T14. You will have a very good chance at big law and will get a ton of interviews.

However, as others above have pointed out, it is definitely possible to take a full ride and end up median at a T70. There is, for sure, a correlation between a student's GPA/LSAT combination and their law school grades, but it is an imperfect correlation. If you turn down a T14 for a T70 the only way this makes sense is if you end up at a minimum top 10% and ideally top 5% of your class, and that's not a guarantee (although I made essentially this gamble myself).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

xRON MEXiCOx

Diamond

Post by xRON MEXiCOx » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:29 pm

What is the point of this hypo?

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:32 pm

Although OP mentions it, I don't think he/she realizes how the forced curve actually works.

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:40 pm

Ron Mexico wrote:What is the point of this hypo?
So OP can pretend they are a special snowflake.

Psingh

New

Post by Psingh » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:46 pm

What's the point of you making a USELESS post like that if you're not gonna be helpful?!

The point of the hypo is that's the situation I'm in with my numbers. I can just barely get into T14 at sticker but if I apply to a T70 I'll likely get a decent scholarship because of my LSAT score.

I'm still not sure what the answer to my question is. Some of you have criticized me for asking this question in the first place, others have said it's better to go to T70 while others have said go for the T14.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:50 pm

Wtf is a top 70? Stupid distinction.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:53 pm

Psingh wrote:
What's the point of you making a USELESS post like that if you're not gonna be helpful?!

The point of the hypo is that's the situation I'm in with my numbers. I can just barely get into T14 at sticker but if I apply to a T70 I'll likely get a decent scholarship because of my LSAT score.

I'm still not sure what the answer to my question is. Some of you have criticized me for asking this question in the first place, others have said it's better to go to T70 while others have said go for the T14.
Don't get me wrong, I think your hypo is bad, and you should feel bad, BUT

generally, the legal field values "prestige" more than it actually correlates to any sort of real world competence. Consequently, the drop in prestige is sharper than the drop in actual competence as you go down whatever rankings.
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:54 pm

Psingh wrote:

No it is NOT the scenario you are in. You posted some fantasy dream of yours where going to a "T70" means you'll be in the Top 5%. You will very likely be somewhere between 30% and 70%, no matter how special you think you are.

We answered your questions. "T70" with a scholarship if you want non-biglaw. Retake for money at T14 if you want biglaw.

What else do you want to know?
Last edited by nebula666 on Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Psingh

New

Post by Psingh » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:54 pm

gdane wrote:Wtf is a top 70? Stupid distinction.
Lol you get what I mean. I mean the school would be ranked around 70 on the rankings page of this site. The number of absolutely useless and low quality responses on this forum is crazy.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:56 pm

Psingh wrote:
Lol you get what I mean. I mean the school would be ranked around 70 on the rankings page of this site. The number of absolutely useless and low quality responses on this forum is crazy.
Poor questions usually receive poor answers.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:57 pm

Psingh wrote:
Because there are just too many variables in law school. This isn't a math equation that you will know the exact answer for. Everyone thinks that they're going to be top whatever percent at their school, but it doesn't happen like this. You have curves, other students, difficult subjects, loads of work.

I wish we could be helpful, but there's no definite answer to your question.

Psingh

New

Post by Psingh » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:00 pm

nebula666 wrote:
Psingh wrote:

No it is NOT the scenario you are in. You posted some fantasy dream of yours where going to GSU means you'll be in the Top 5%. You will very likely be somewhere between 30% and 70%, no matter how special you think you are.

We answered your questions. GSU with a scholarship if you want non-biglaw. Retake for money at T14 (or full ride at Emory) if you want biglaw.

Thanks for your answer. Well clearly I'm not familiar with how the curves work hence the reason I'm asking. I just assumed if your bottom 5% in T14 you'll probably be top 5% in T70 since there's a huge difference in admission standards between the two. I'm ultra conservative about these things so no I never assumed I'm a special snowflake.

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:08 pm

Psingh wrote:
nebula666 wrote:
Psingh wrote:

No it is NOT the scenario you are in. You posted some fantasy dream of yours where going to GSU means you'll be in the Top 5%. You will very likely be somewhere between 30% and 70%, no matter how special you think you are.

We answered your questions. GSU with a scholarship if you want non-biglaw. Retake for money at T14 (or full ride at Emory) if you want biglaw.

Thanks for your answer. Well clearly I'm not familiar with how the curves work hence the reason I'm asking. I just assumed if your bottom 5% in T14 you'll probably be top 5% in T70 since there's a huge difference in admission standards between the two. I'm ultra conservative about these things so no I never assumed I'm a special snowflake.
Good thing you stumbled upon TLS. Lots of ppl have make this false assumption. You have been saved!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:09 pm

So what happens if 10% of the class is like you, OP, and takes the full ride thinking they will be in the top 5%? What happens then?

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:11 pm

It's true to say that the logic of this hypo is pretty awful, mate. It is pretty much a guarantee that the kind of person who is top 5% at any accredited law school would not be bottom 5% at a T14. Top 5% at any accredited school entails the kind of work ethic to at least put that person in the middle of the more prestigious schools; your logic suggests that you will either be in the bottom 5% of a T14 or the top of a T70(?). If you have the work ethic and dedication to be top 5% in any school, you won't be practically failing at a T14.

Psingh

New

Post by Psingh » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:23 pm

zhenders wrote:It's true to say that the logic of this hypo is pretty awful, mate. It is pretty much a guarantee that the kind of person who is top 5% at any accredited law school would not be bottom 5% at a T14. Top 5% at any accredited school entails the kind of work ethic to at least put that person in the middle of the more prestigious schools; your logic suggests that you will either be in the bottom 5% of a T14 or the top of a T70(?). If you have the work ethic and dedication to be top 5% in any school, you won't be practically failing at a T14.
Ok fair enough. If this is the situation, it implies that the quality of education you receive at a T70 is pretty closely in line with that of a T14. So the average law student at a GSU has to put in almost the same amount of time and effort studying in law school than the average student at Duke let's say.

So what then is the fetish of "attend only T14 or you will die" that seems to be the consensus among all the forums and the lawyers I've talked to? If the quality of education is almost the same and you might even have to pay less money, why go to Duke over a T70?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:26 pm

Employment opportunities. More people get (arguably better) jobs out of Duke than the TT school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”