Alternative Legal Careers Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Kafkaesquire

Bronze

Re: Alternative Legal Careers

Post by Kafkaesquire » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:51 pm

TheWeeIceMon wrote:
Kafkaesquire wrote:
TheWeeIceMon wrote:
Kafkaesquire wrote:Compliance, medicine....
I'd love to know how to get into medicine with a JD...
That's simple. Get your JD. Though not necessarily there physically, your JD with be with you figuratively as you go through medical school. If you get through medical school with your JD, you can get into medicine with your JD.
Wut? That's not an alternative legal career. That's an entirely new career.
Whoops. I must have been mistaken when I read that phrase as "alternative-legal career."

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:05 pm

Broadcast journalism is a great landing spot; it's my post-LS path.

ryry0613

New

Post by ryry0613 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:29 pm

Teoeo wrote:
ryry0613 wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
ryry0613 wrote:Went to several job search engines and I simply searched for "JD preferred". The pay still seems better at the larger law firms as an attorney but a law degree seems as though it can be used similar to an MBA as well.
It ain't easy to get these jobs, brej.
True, but if a JD and an MBA both applied to a contract manager review job, a jd would already know everything necessary regarding the legality of a business contract whereas an MBA just recieves a broad education in business management. At least with a jd you recieve a skill you can use in the business world and law.
You are completely and utterly wrong. It sounds like you are trying to convince yourself rather than getting real advice. Do not go to law school unless you want to practice law as an attorney.

I am completely and utterly wrong about what exactly? A JD learns law, are you trying to say an MBA would know more about law than a JD would?

grungy89

Bronze

Post by grungy89 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:27 pm

What about being a sports agent? I think anyone with a JD could leak false stories to the media about Nick Saban leaving Bama for the Longhorns in order to inflate his value

I think most without a JD could also do this...

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:43 am

ryry0613 wrote:

I am completely and utterly wrong about what exactly? A JD learns law, are you trying to say an MBA would know more about law than a JD would?
New JD grads have little to no practical legal training - the vast majority of what lawyers know they learn on the job. It makes little sense to go through 3 years of law school just for the benefit of taking a couple of courses in contracts.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”