Are Canadian lawyers at a disadvantage in the US? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
walterjr

New

Are Canadian lawyers at a disadvantage in the US?

Post by walterjr » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:04 pm

I'm potentially interested in moving to the states and studying law there.

But if you're a Canadian who went to and graduated from an American law school, will you be at a disadvantage when seeking employment in the States? I'm assuming that you went to a decent school ranked #40-60 but you're no H.L.A. Hart and you didn't go to a top school. We already know that the legal market in the US is in trouble and the market is over-saturated with lawyers looking for jobs.

I'm afraid that the firms that are hiring will say that there hundreds of thousands of unemployed Americans looking for jobs so why would we even bother with a foreign national? On top of that they would have to deal with your immigration stuff which equals extra wasted time for them so as soon as they realize you're a decent but not an elite lawyer and you're from Canada, they'll just put your resume in the trash or if you're lucky they'll hire you but give you a very low salary and give you the undesirable tasks to do.

Are my concerns at least partly legitimate or am I being overly pessimistic?

despina

Bronze

Re: Are Canadian lawyers at a disadvantage in the US?

Post by despina » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:11 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... mmigration

ETA: On whether they can give you lower pay and worse assignments just because you're Canadian: http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/nationalorigin.cfm

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Are Canadian lawyers at a disadvantage in the US?

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:48 pm

OP, only one thread per topic, please.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”