Will I be a PRACTICING attorney? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
luckybreak

New

Will I be a PRACTICING attorney?

Post by luckybreak » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:03 am

Hello everyone,

I would like to start off by thanking anyone who comments for their time and honesty.

I am looking to to enter into law school next year so that I may become a patent attorney. A little about me, my undergraduate degree was in biology, and then I received a M.S. in molecular biology from Purdue University. I have worked at a Pharmaceutical company for three years as a microbiologist, and I have worked two and a half years as a patent agent for a law firm that primarily deals with medical devices.

I have observed on countless threads that a PhD is the must have in order to be a patent attorney since I have gone the way of the "lesser science field-bio". MY QUESTION: Is my advanced degree and work experience enough for me to be able to actually land a job when I get out of law school (assuming I do well)? Or is it truly no point in trying unless I get those three extra letters? The fear of wasting time and money has been put in me in a big way due to some of the posts I have seen damning anything below a phd in biotech fields. So, I just wanted to know how my credentials stacked up. Please be brutally honest, and I value your opinion. If you need to know anything else about my back ground please ask.

-cheers

mr. wednesday

Bronze

Re: Will I be a PRACTICING attorney?

Post by mr. wednesday » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:54 am

Your background going into law school doesn't really say what school you'll be going to or what grades you'll get 1L year. Your work experience will help but without that information no one can tell you that law school will work out for you.

luckybreak

New

Post by luckybreak » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:58 am

Hello!

In undergrad I majored in biology and minored in history, my overall GPA was 3.46.

My graduate GPA was 3.3.

My LSAT Score was a 169 (I have only attempted once).

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:15 pm

Depends probably as much on your interviewing as your grades my man.

carpetmuncher

New

Post by carpetmuncher » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:18 pm

If you did science in undergrad, why not just become some type of Doctor?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”