Is Wikipedia frowned upon as research tool in law school? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bdm261

Bronze

Is Wikipedia frowned upon as research tool in law school?

Post by bdm261 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:11 pm

I'm still a 0L, >1 month to go. I have all my textbooks and started my reading assignments though. When I come upon a case in the casebook, I typically search it in Google which brings up casebriefs.com or any other number of law school case brief websites. I also bring up the wiki pages, especially for new principles or theories such as "unconscionability," or "unjust enrichment," or "expectation damages." Anyone else have a similar or better strategy and is Wikipedia reliable for law school?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Is Wikipedia frowned upon as research tool in law school?

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:15 pm

I think it's fine for looking up a plain-language explanation of legal terms, especially quickly in class. Obviously it's not something you should be citing, ever. But by putting it in plain language, it may be oversimplified or missing something, or just interpreted differently than your professor interprets it. For exams you want to depend more on your actual notes, outlines, and published supplements like E&E or Glannon.

JuTMSY4

Bronze

Post by JuTMSY4 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:16 pm

bdm261 wrote:I'm still a 0L, >1 month to go. I have all my textbooks and started my reading assignments though. When I come upon a case in the casebook, I typically search it in Google which brings up casebriefs.com or any other number of law school case brief websites. I also bring up the wiki pages, especially for new principles or theories such as "unconscionability," or "unjust enrichment," or "expectation damages." Anyone else have a similar or better strategy and is Wikipedia reliable for law school?
you're going to get a mixed bag of responses (and hilarity) here. Frankly, it doesn't matter who frowns upon what. If wikipedia gets your through a cold call that's great. Not ideal for exams, but a law school's defacto wikipedia is hand-me-down outlines and if you think about it, it's not all that different.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:37 pm

Wiki is great for Con law. Seriously.

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Post by unlicensedpotato » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:45 pm

bdm261 wrote:I'm still a 0L, >1 month to go. I have all my textbooks and started my reading assignments though. When I come upon a case in the casebook, I typically search it in Google which brings up casebriefs.com or any other number of law school case brief websites. I also bring up the wiki pages, especially for new principles or theories such as "unconscionability," or "unjust enrichment," or "expectation damages." Anyone else have a similar or better strategy and is Wikipedia reliable for law school?
Wikipedia is great. You can't cite to it, as was mentioned earlier. But other than that, it's very reliable. One of our professors would routinely ask questions about definitions and historical events based on the reading and the answers he gave were what he had found on wikipedia.
Looking beyond law school, tons of research at firms is done on google, wikipedia, etc. Use common sense and look elsewhere for confirmation but wikipedia is a great starting point.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

utlaw2007

Silver

Post by utlaw2007 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:06 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:
Wikipedia is great. You can't cite to it, as was mentioned earlier. But other than that, it's very reliable. One of our professors would routinely ask questions about definitions and historical events based on the reading and the answers he gave were what he had found on wikipedia.
Looking beyond law school, tons of research at firms is done on google, wikipedia, etc. Use common sense and look elsewhere for confirmation but wikipedia is a great starting point.

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:28 pm

Everything that has already been said is correct. It's all you need to know.

Don't cite it. It's a good personal reference tool/background

Nightrunner

Platinum

Post by Nightrunner » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:30 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Wiki is great for Con law. Seriously.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:37 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
+1.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:40 pm

Obviously, if you're ever tempted to cite Wikipedia, don't. But there's nothing keeping you from reading the works/articles cited in the Wiki page and citing those yourself if they're appropriate.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:12 am

ScottRiqui wrote:Obviously, if you're ever tempted to cite Wikipedia, don't. But there's nothing keeping you from reading the works/articles cited in the Wiki page and citing those yourself if they're appropriate.
Story of my UG career right there.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:05 am

ScottRiqui wrote:Obviously, if you're ever tempted to cite Wikipedia, don't. But there's nothing keeping you from reading the works/articles cited in the Wiki page and citing those yourself if they're appropriate.
Although I got cutesy on a seminar paper last year and cited Wikipedia in a footnote . . . with a citing parenthetical to a real source which I then discussed. It didn't hurt my grade.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:17 am

The trick is to use the references used BY wikipedia.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:59 am

Nightrunner wrote:
This is the truth. It's useless for most other classes though.

Devlin

Silver

Post by Devlin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:31 am

rinkrat19 wrote:I think it's fine for looking up a plain-language explanation of legal terms, especially quickly in class. Obviously it's not something you should be citing, ever. But by putting it in plain language, it may be oversimplified or missing something, or just interpreted differently than your professor interprets it. For exams you want to depend more on your actual notes, outlines, and published supplements like E&E or Glannon.
Spot on.

No shame in using wiki or casebriefs.com throughout the semester. Hell, most of the time I would just copy and paste casebriefs.com and use that as a case brief. However, they should not replace reading the actual case book, taking excellent notes, reading supplements and doing practice exams.

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:32 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
+1.
THIS.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:58 pm

ash0117 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
+1.
THIS.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:21 am

Wikipedia? Pfft, I use google to look up confusing legal questions I have. Amazingly, it works.

Wikipedia is pretty good too. Just don't actually cite to it in your writing. Professors will lose their shit.

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:29 am

Before law school, I taught at a community college. My course "The History of American Popular Music" might as well have been "What Wikipedia Says You Should Know About Rock and Roll." Wikipedia is like masturbation - everybody does it, nobody admits it, and its embarrassing as hell if you get caught so just be sure to clean up after yourself.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”