Closed Book vs. Open Book Prep Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
KD35

Silver

Closed Book vs. Open Book Prep

Post by KD35 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:39 pm

Okay, as a preliminary note: I have already used the Search function to try and find the answer to this question...the best I saw was "memorize your outline."

A lot of the law school guides for 1Ls on here tend to be geared towards open book exams. I was wondering if there is any substantially different approaches for closed book exams and how you study for them over the span of a semester? As far as I know, I think most of my 1L exams are closed book, and I was curious if anyone knows how they are approached differently.

stillwater

Gold

Re: Closed Book vs. Open Book Prep

Post by stillwater » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:46 pm

KD35 wrote:Okay, as a preliminary note: I have already used the Search function to try and find the answer to this question...the best I saw was "memorize your outline."

A lot of the law school guides for 1Ls on here tend to be geared towards open book exams. I was wondering if there is any substantially different approaches for closed book exams and how you study for them over the span of a semester? As far as I know, I think most of my 1L exams are closed book, and I was curious if anyone knows how they are approached differently.
I don't approach them any differently. and i find on my open book notes if I refer to my notes once, thats a lot. the more you can stuff into your head, the better.

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:00 pm

So essentially you should've memorized most info on open-book outlines anyway...okay that makes sense.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:13 pm

KD35 wrote:So essentially you should've memorized most info on open-book outlines anyway...okay that makes sense.
yea, its just a matter of having a security blanket or not. others may disagree but i prefer to just treat them the same.

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:51 pm

Are you logging all these responses somewhere. Seems to be a lot of of questions for someone who hasn't started school yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:53 pm

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:Are you logging all these responses somewhere. Seems to be a lot of of questions for someone who hasn't started school yet.
Me? As in am I recording the answers for my questions? I have all of my old posts that I can access, that's about it...
Figure it is better to ask any questions I have when I think of them so I don't forget them, and hopefully I can pay it forward to someone here later on

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:45 pm

KD35 wrote:
UnderrateOverachieve wrote:Are you logging all these responses somewhere. Seems to be a lot of of questions for someone who hasn't started school yet.
Me? As in am I recording the answers for my questions? I have all of my old posts that I can access, that's about it...
Figure it is better to ask any questions I have when I think of them so I don't forget them, and hopefully I can pay it forward to someone here later on
I have seen you asking a ton of questions (maybe I am exaggerating). It may be a good idea to archive that in a document you can access easily. A lot of the information you are getting is in one ear and out the other until it becomes actually applicable.

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:11 am

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:
KD35 wrote:
I have seen you asking a ton of questions (maybe I am exaggerating). It may be a good idea to archive that in a document you can access easily. A lot of the information you are getting is in one ear and out the other until it becomes actually applicable.
If I ask questions it is because I have them and I think they are at least worth asking. I'm aware of the questions I've asked AND the responses I've received from helpful people.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”