Changing Social Classes Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Kafkaesquire

Bronze

Changing Social Classes

Post by Kafkaesquire » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:34 pm

Has anyone grown up from a lower/middle class background, went to law school, and had their professional growth put strain on their old family relationships (for whatever reason)?

I know it's a pointless personal question, but I would enjoy it if people could humor me with pertinent anecdotes.

It's a Friday, guys. Don't take things too seriously :-P

fallingup

Bronze

Re: Changing Social Classes

Post by fallingup » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:06 pm

Gross

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:22 pm

Yeah my whole family resents me for going to Ivy League school

I'm not joking.

ETA: They were dicks to begin with though so idk

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Post by holdencaulfield » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:52 am

Yes. Some people will resent your success; that's just life.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:01 am

i bet you dont even know how to sail

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:14 am

Kafkaesquire wrote:Has anyone grown up from a lower/middle class background, went to law school, and had their professional growth put strain on their old family relationships (for whatever reason)?

I know it's a pointless personal question, but I would enjoy it if people could humor me with pertinent anecdotes.

yea, I can't think of anything less serious than discussing each others family's socio-economic circumstances and the often painful dissolution of life-time bonds with people who love/loved you.

It's a Friday, bros.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:16 am

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of my life-long friends think I am a sell out.

I guess that is just how it is.

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:20 am

Tom Joad wrote:Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of my life-long friends think I am a sell out.

I guess that is just how it is.
Are your friends ecoterrorists and do you work for "The Man?"

But seriously, if people seem to abandon you and you feel like you have done nothing wrong, then there is nothing in the long run that you should feel guilty about. People should be happy for your success, even more so if you've overcome significant difficulties in life.
Last edited by KD35 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:22 am

If you are not an asshole about having money and your friends still have a problem with it, they are the assholes and you should get new friends. Not necessarily new richer friends, just friends who aren't assholes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:14 am

Family should, ideally, be forever. Is there something that suggests that your family will resent you for what you plan on doing?

I mean, all parents have certain expectations for their kids and naturally can be disappointed when they expectations are thwarted. But hopefully they accept you for who you are.

scifiguy

Silver

Post by scifiguy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:36 am

I really think a great question related to this would be, "How do you handle success?"

In fact, I'm going to start a thread topic on it.

Ded Precedent

Silver

Post by Ded Precedent » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:51 am

I don't know why but I always feel uber self-conscious talking about law school and my job to my old friends who never left my hometown. I sense resentment but I don't even do anything fancy, I'm not going to make a ton of money when I graduate and I didn't even attend a prestigious school. I wish they realized I'm still the same guy they went to high school with but I think they have some strange perception that I've accomplished something important.

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:24 am

TheThriller wrote:
Kafkaesquire wrote:Has anyone grown up from a lower/middle class background, went to law school, and had their professional growth put strain on their old family relationships (for whatever reason)?

yea, I can't think of anything less serious than discussing each others family's socio-economic circumstances and the often painful dissolution of life-time bonds with people who love/loved you.

It's a Friday, bros.

The principle of charity just doesn't exist on the internet. OP is saying not to take TLS forum-creating etiquette too seriously, not that you shouldn't take your family's socio-economic circumstances seriously.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:27 am

I'm in the inverse situation: going to a good law school and pursuing a traditional legal career may seal my fate as less rich than much of my family. First world problems bro.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:51 am

scifiguy wrote:I really think a great question related to this would be, "How do you handle success?"

Stop making threads

apollo2015

Bronze

Post by apollo2015 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:43 pm

I feel as if the bigger difference to me so far was in undergrad when I (1.) went to a university that was (2.) out of town. The cultural capital that I picked up from interacting with so many upper middle class people has made it hard to interact with my family and its lower/middle class values.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:49 pm

Cobretti wrote:
scifiguy wrote:I really think a great question related to this would be, "How do you handle success?"

Stop making threads
Thatsthejoke.jpg

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:52 pm

superdingle2000 wrote:I'm in the inverse situation: going to a good law school and pursuing a traditional legal career may seal my fate as less rich than much of my family. First world problems bro.
Chin up, there's always inheritance. :wink:

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:01 pm

Luckily I graduated unemployed and brokeass, so technically I'm lower class than when I started.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:45 pm

apollo2015 wrote:

I feel as if the bigger difference to me so far was in undergrad when I (1.) went to a university that was (2.) out of town. The cultural capital that I picked up from interacting with so many upper middle class people has made it hard to interact with my family and its lower/middle class values.
I'm actually curious about what the difference in values would be between lower-middle and upper-middle.

Kafkaesquire

Bronze

Post by Kafkaesquire » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:39 pm

The nail has already been hit on the head as far as I am concerned. So really I would admit that a lot of the tension I feel with my family has to do with my own journey being so different from their own, and being so caught up in my journey that it has become difficult to take myself out of my own shoes and put myself in the shoes in which I was born and raised (and that my family still wears).

Money, education, travel, that stuff really changes people; my family is foreign to it all, and yet all of that has basically come to define who I am.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:49 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

courtneylove

Bronze

Post by courtneylove » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:05 pm

i get where you're coming from OP. one of my very best friends is in severe debt from undergrad/poor career prospects in her field, and talks constantly about her situation because of the strain she's under. i feel awkward discussing my issues or life situation with her; it seems so selfish for me to be whining "i didn't get the $160,000/year job i wanted wah" while she can't afford to get her own apartment or buy new clothes. :(

guinness1547

Silver

Post by guinness1547 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:06 pm

rad lulz wrote:My family is pretty well off but I feel I'm gonna be poor

Dad wants to know why I do my banking at Amscot

Mom wants to know why I drink MD 20/20
Ah, Mad Dog chugging races. I do miss college.

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:15 pm

Br3v wrote:
Cobretti wrote:

Stop making threads
Thatsthejoke.jpg
Yeah, I took that as a self-deprecating joke. I'm glad he can find humor in the hate he gets on here.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”