Grade 12 and SUPER CONFUSED. Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Madiya

New

Grade 12 and SUPER CONFUSED.

Post by Madiya » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:45 pm

hey guys,
I'm currently in grade 12, wanting to be a lawyer hopefully. I have 2 questions...

1) What should I take in university as my bachelors degree? I want to be enrolled in a program which will prepare me for my LSAT'S/ law school and will get me a job in a law related field right after my bachelors before my law school/ lsat's?

2) Also... this might be a really stupid question but can one do his/her LSAT'S after college? Basically I'm trying to ask if we have to go to university in order to do our LSAT'S or/and go to Law school?

Thank you so much in advance!

kay2016

Silver

Re: Grade 12 and SUPER CONFUSED.

Post by kay2016 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:56 pm

You've already started one topic about this.. probably best not to keep reposting the same topic.

You're still (or just graduated) from college. Things may change and you may not want to be a lawyer in four years.

Find something you enjoy doing AND that you can make a career out of... The legal market isn't dong especially well right now & you may change your mind, so you need a fall back plan. Just in case.

Don't major in Pre-Law or anything like that.. it won't help you on the LSAT. The LSAT is something you will probably have to self-study for or take an additional prep course (kind of like the SAT/ACT in HS).

The best thing you can do for the first three years of your undergraduate is study and get great grades. Then after that, if you still want to be a lawyer... Worry about the LSAT. Those are the two things you need to worry about in order to get into law school.. Your major isn't going to particularly matter for admissions, but it will help if you decide to wait a while before going to law school (or if you decide not to go).

As for your second question, you can take the LSAT anytime. The score is good for 5? years, I think. You don't want to take it until AT LEAST the end of your junior year, that way you can have a good idea what your GPA will be and you can spend time studying for the test.. I took mine in October of my senior year. If your question is "Do I have to finish college before I can go to LS?" Then the answer is yes...

But seriously.. you've got a lot of time before you need to be worrying about this stuff. Go to college, have fun, get good grades... Come back in a few years if this is still what you wanna do!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:11 pm

I want to be enrolled in a program which will prepare me for my LSAT'S/ law school
No you dont. LSAT prep material is more than sufficient to prep for the LSAT.

Choose a major you enjoy, can get good grades in, and will lead to a fullfilling career if you dont end up practicing law

list majors that you would enjoy. Then eliminate ones that you wont get good grades in and wont lead to fulfilling careers.

Madiya

New

Post by Madiya » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:42 pm

So you guys are basically saying that my bachelors won't help me at all in my LSAT'S or Law school. So I can do my bachelor in Nursing or accounting for example, something I can get a job in and prepare for my LSAT'S with it's own prep material.

Thank you thank you!!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:20 pm

Madiya wrote:LSAT'S
Stop.
STOP.
STOP IT.
GODDAMMIT, STOP.
PLEASE STOP.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:57 pm

LSAT'S?

What, exactly, is the LSAT possessing?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:01 pm

Major in something that gives you a good chance of employment if you don't go to law school. Business with an emphasis in finance or accounting is good. Engineering is good. And get good grades, meaning mostly As. This is all you should concern yourself with for now.

jrsbaseball5

Bronze

Post by jrsbaseball5 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:12 pm

Madiya wrote:So you guys are basically saying that my bachelors won't help me at all in my LSAT'S or Law school. So I can do my bachelor in Nursing or accounting for example, something I can get a job in and prepare for my LSAT'S with it's own prep material.

Thank you thank you!!
Yes, if you get a bachelor's degree in nursing or accounting you can absolutely go to law school. What I will tell you though is that if you are serious about law school then you should to your best to get top notch grades every semester (think mostly A's). The number one regret people have on here when it gets time to applying for law school is that they wish their GPA was higher so do your best to maintain as high of a GPA as possible.

Also, LSAT prep material is 1000x better than a bachelors or other course work is at preparing you for the LSAt.

Madiya

New

Post by Madiya » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:51 pm

Oh my God, I'm so sorry!
My laptop's going crazy posting 'LSAT', trust me I'm not that obsessed. So sorry!! And thanks for your advices guys.
It's really helping and making me feel 1000 times better <3

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:53 pm

Madiya wrote:Oh my God, I'm so sorry!
My laptop's going crazy posting 'LSAT', trust me I'm not that obsessed. So sorry!!
Priceless. Kalvano, her laptop's going crazy posting "LSAT." Know anything about that?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:08 am

I know all the things.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:11 am

LOL -5Ls

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:42 pm

^ Very entertaining thread

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

buddyt

Silver

Post by buddyt » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:15 pm

I'll post this list again:
  • Computer science/engineering/systems engineering
    Electrical engineering
    Some other engineering majors (e.g. probably chemical, probably not civil)
    Math/statistics/informatics
    Computer information systems
    Nursing
    Accounting
    Supply chain management
There's a chance you might not want to be a lawyer at the end of undergrad. Even if you still do, there is no major that you could pick that would give you an advantage in any meaningful way in law school or in the practice of law. (An exception to this is if you pick from any of the top three in the list: you'll be eligible to prosecute patents, which is one of the few in-demand fields in law right now.)

Therefore, you should pick a major that helps you get a job after graduation. And if you pick a major that's not on that list, you will probably not get a job. You're welcome.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:02 pm

buddyt wrote:I'll post this list again:
    Electrical engineering
    Nursing
    Accounting
    Supply chain management
There's a chance you might not want to be a lawyer at the end of undergrad. Even if you still do, there is no major that you could pick that would give you an advantage in any meaningful way in law school or in the practice of law. (An exception to this is if you pick from any of the top three in the list: you'll be eligible to prosecute patents, which is one of the few in-demand fields in law right now.)

Therefore, you should pick a major that helps you get a job after graduation. And if you pick a major that's not on that list, you will probably not get a job. You're welcome.
you definitely don't know what you're talking about. HTH

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:01 pm

stillwater wrote:
    Electrical engineering
    Nursing
    Accounting
    Supply chain management

Actually, it's good advice. HTH.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:28 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
stillwater wrote:
    Electrical engineering
    Nursing
    Accounting
    Supply chain management

Actually, it's good advice. HTH.
the list is hardly exhaustive. HTH

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:33 pm

I agree with stillwater.
buddyt wrote: if you pick a major that's not on that list, you will probably not get a job.
Obviously this isnt true

Im going to assume you were not being serious when you said this

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:38 pm

Fair enough but the overall message is sound. Don't go into undergrad thinking about what to major in to go to law school.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:21 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Fair enough but the overall message is sound. Don't go into undergrad thinking about what to major in to go to law school.
Yes. I think the broader message was to major in something that is a field you can work in, and not something that just sounds interesting/easy.

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:35 pm

SUPER CONFUSED AHHHHHH

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:12 pm

Only go to law school if you want to become a super-douche and pick on a high schooler's apostrophe usage.

Sry, couldn't resist.

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:17 pm

swc65 wrote:Only go to law school if you want to become a super-douche and pick on a high schooler's apostrophe usage.

Sry, couldn't resist.
Guilty as charged

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:20 pm

mr.hands wrote:
swc65 wrote:Only go to law school if you want to become a super-douche and pick on a high schooler's apostrophe usage.

Sry, couldn't resist.
Guilty as charged
:D

buddyt

Silver

Post by buddyt » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:42 pm

The list may not be totally exhaustive, but it's pretty close.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”