Anyone Else Feel Blue After Graduating? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
graduated123

New

Anyone Else Feel Blue After Graduating?

Post by graduated123 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:04 pm

I just graduated from a great school with great grades and have a great job lined up. I was really excited leading up to graduation, but since the ceremony I have felt a little sad. Has anyone else felt this way?

Most likely explanation I can think of is that I liked law school, tried hard, cared about it, and thus it was a huge part of my life for 3 years. Now it's gone. Maybe it's just the feeling of trying hard for so long for something (over 4 years if you include LSAT prep & applications) and when you finally reach your goal you feel like you've lost something really important to you. I dunno. Basically I'm just curious if it's just me.

Lincoln

Silver

Re: Anyone Else Feel Blue After Graduating?

Post by Lincoln » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:07 pm

I've definitely felt a bit melancholic. I'm in a similar situation to you; I couldn't really have asked for more than what I got out of school. I'm excited about the future and about my career, but I'm definitely going to miss law school. Probably the best three years of my life. No joke.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:08 pm

This is pretty common. People perversely get depressed after finals, for example. This is probably a similar phenomenon. It'll probably pass. Obviously if it's bad you should get help.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:10 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:12 pm

In part I suspect it is due to a variety pack of

1. A part of your life for the last 3 (or 7 depending on how you view it) years of your life is now over

2. Concerns about how to handle the stuff that comes next: Jobs, Clients, etc

3. And let us not forget...............THE BAR EXAM! :shock:

-But yeah, I think it common to feel that way a bit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:19 pm

rad lulz wrote:No

It was shit

Good riddance

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:23 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
rad lulz wrote:No

It was shit

Good riddance
It's a chemical phenomenon though. I consistently would feel down after finals. It wasn't like I was sitting there thinking, "Wow, that was fucking great, wish I could get back in that."

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:30 pm

I do miss it a bit. I got so used to it that it is weird not having law school anymore. Plus, I really hate studying for the bar and working at the same time.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:14 pm

Last edited by thelawdoctor on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

courtneylove

Bronze

Post by courtneylove » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:08 am

i've been down in the dumps about my impending lack of health insurance / inability to find a job / need to find an apartment in another city with no job or funds / etc. definitely not sad about putting all that law school bs behind me.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:22 am

I've been a bit sad also. Going to miss the people, the routine of it all, the school environment, etc. I've been a student for pretty much 7 straight years, and this will be the true beginning of my career. I have a great job lined up that I'm excited about, but at the same time I'm nervous about it all. Theres something nice about staying in the steady cocoon of school, but I guess we all have to move on from it.

Borg

Bronze

Post by Borg » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:48 am

Curious - what % of you are K-JD?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:18 pm

graduated123 wrote:I just graduated from a great school with great grades and have a great job lined up. I was really excited leading up to graduation, but since the ceremony I have felt a little sad. Has anyone else felt this way?

Most likely explanation I can think of is that I liked law school, tried hard, cared about it, and thus it was a huge part of my life for 3 years. Now it's gone. Maybe it's just the feeling of trying hard for so long for something (over 4 years if you include LSAT prep & applications) and when you finally reach your goal you feel like you've lost something really important to you. I dunno. Basically I'm just curious if it's just me.
definitely not just you, it's not uncommon. Though I personally could not feel any less like this.

I'm curious along with the other poster about whether this is especially a K-JD phenomenon. I think if you were out for a few years before law school, then when you graduate you're more likely to feel like you're getting back to real life instead of leaving something behind.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:12 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
graduated123 wrote:I just graduated from a great school with great grades and have a great job lined up. I was really excited leading up to graduation, but since the ceremony I have felt a little sad. Has anyone else felt this way?

definitely not just you, it's not uncommon. Though I personally could not feel any less like this.

I'm curious along with the other poster about whether this is especially a K-JD phenomenon. I think if you were out for a few years before law school, then when you graduate you're more likely to feel like you're getting back to real life instead of leaving something behind.
idk, i've been working a couple years and I kinda miss undergrad. On one hand yeah there's a lot there that is kinda immature that I dont miss, but the free time and social opportunities is something you just arent going to find out in the working world. I wouldn't be chocked if I felt the same way after going back into the working world.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:20 pm

Why are you guys being so gloomy? I am going to a great school with not so awesome grades, and trying not to think about that part about finding a job.

But I am still stoked that 2L is over and now all of you are saying that 3L is another piece in the misery puzzle? Super.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:20 pm

lisjjen wrote:Why are you guys being so gloomy? I am going to a great school with not so awesome grades, and trying not to think about that part about finding a job.

But I am still stoked that 2L is over and now all of you are saying that 3L is another piece in the misery puzzle? Super.
If you have a job 3L can be awesome

If you don't 3L might be miserable

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:09 pm

It's ok, we can all just go get the LLM and then the PhD in Law and be be law students FOREVER!!!!

:mrgreen:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:13 pm

Borg wrote:Curious - what % of you are K-JD?
Far from it.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:14 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Borg wrote:Curious - what % of you are K-JD?
Far from it.
BOOMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:31 pm

I don't feel sad right now, though I did after 1L and at some other points, like after getting a job. That's when I felt I could take my foot off the gas a bit.

IMO it's about identity. When you know what you want to get and have a goal, you have an identity: you are this person. When you don't have that, you aren't quite sure who you are. Good thing to reflect on.

utlaw2007

Silver

Post by utlaw2007 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:34 pm

I was happy that law school ended. I loved my first year but after that, it was really starting to get old. I was glad to head back home and continue on with my life.

Studying for the bar sucks, though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:31 pm

utlaw2007 wrote:I was happy that law school ended. I loved my first year but after that, it was really starting to get old. I was glad to head back home and continue on with my life.

Studying for the bar sucks, though.
You liked 1L more than electives? Why? :|

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:34 pm

Graduated in 2012.

I was checked out almost the entirety of 3L after getting a job offer toward the middle of fall semester, so 3L was one of the most fun times of my life. I had no responsibilities until finals, really. So, I missed that during and after the bar, but starting a job I liked filled that void.

I really miss my LS friends though. I moved far away and haven't seen most of them since the bar. It's weird spending almost every day with the same group of people for 3 years then moving away.

I don't miss school at all though. The lifestyle, yes, but actually going to class and dealing with all the attendant bullshit got old really fast.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:44 pm

You're leaving one of the easiest/most pleasant stages of your life (being a student) for some of the shittiest (paying your dues on the lowest rung of the ladder). If you're not blue, you're not paying attention.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:16 pm

IAFG wrote:You're leaving one of the easiest/most pleasant stages of your life (being a student) for some of the shittiest (paying your dues on the lowest rung of the ladder). If you're not blue, you're not paying attention.
100% agree.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”