0L Need help rounding out resume Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Scotusnerd

Silver

Re: 0L Need help rounding out resume

Post by Scotusnerd » Mon May 27, 2013 6:07 am

togepi wrote:Would teaching English abroad for two years be something to leave off the resume?

I have an engineering degree and worked on a construction project for 6 months so that's definitely going on there. I'm just curious as to how teaching abroad is viewed by the interviewer.

TYIA
Ok y'all 0Ls need to chill out. First off, what the heck do you think we know about that? Second of all, why are you ashamed of your job experience? It's interesting, and it makes you an interesting person. Career services loves to put all of the weird things that you do in their little pamphlets.

jackattack17

Bronze

Post by jackattack17 » Mon May 27, 2013 10:00 am

togepi wrote:Would teaching English abroad for two years be something to leave off the resume?

I have an engineering degree and worked on a construction project for 6 months so that's definitely going on there. I'm just curious as to how teaching abroad is viewed by the interviewer.

TYIA
I think you should include it. First, wouldn't there be a 2-year gap in your resume otherwise (serious red flag)? Second, spin it to show how it relates to practicing law. Living abroad for two years shows maturity and independence, which is generally a good thing. Also, teaching English abroad involves synthesizing and clarifying complex ideas, which lawyers do regularly, right? Say something that shows that in your description, so the inference is easy to make.

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Mon May 27, 2013 10:05 am

RodneyRuxin wrote:
PM2353 wrote: Since this seems to be TLS common wisdom I accept it as 100% true.
LOL
IT'S A TRAP!
But really...don't always believe what the Internet tells you.

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Tue May 28, 2013 1:55 am

jackattack17 wrote:

TYIA
I think you should include it. First, wouldn't there be a 2-year gap in your resume otherwise (serious red flag)? Second, spin it to show how it relates to practicing law. Living abroad for two years shows maturity and independence, which is generally a good thing. Also, teaching English abroad involves synthesizing and clarifying complex ideas, which lawyers do regularly, right? Say something that shows that in your description, so the inference is easy to make.
Thank you for the response. I am full Korean and was born in the US so it was one of the reasons I went there to teach for two years to absorb some of the culture. I figured it would be a great talking point during interviews but wasn't sure how much weight it would carry towards relevant work experience.

Rory19

Bronze

Post by Rory19 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:22 pm

Last edited by Rory19 on Thu May 30, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Tue May 28, 2013 7:26 pm

Rory19 wrote:This thread has been really reassuring--I was assuming for some reason that my WE was below average but it sounds now like I may be in good shape--any thoughts?
-Managed 65 employees and 4 franchises of a local coffee company
-Legal Assistant to sole practitioner, mostly clerical but I also outlined depositions, drafted wills and spoke with opposing counsel
-Court Appointed Special Advocate in dependency court (volunteer)
-Victim Advocate with local DA's office (volunteer)
-Volunteer Coordinator for legal non-profit included public speaking, recruitment, interviewing and screening volunteers (full-time for 2 years)

Edit your second dash: "Legal Assistant to a sole practitioner". That way no one gets any funny ideas about what you did. :)

Rory19

Bronze

Post by Rory19 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:29 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”