JD/MBA with full JD tuition? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

What to do

JD only
20%
JD/MBA combination
20%
MBA only (stay the hell out of law school)
60%

Total votes: 5

mmacmu1

New

JD/MBA with full JD tuition?

Post by mmacmu1 » Mon May 20, 2013 1:06 pm

Hi all,

I am currently considering going to law school with a full ride at a second tier, state law school that has very strong employment/name recognition on a regional level. I have a great academic interest in the law, but honestly have been turned off by all of the negative sentiment about the life-work balance of being a "real" lawyer (i.e., working at a firm). I also have a strong business/entrepreneurial streak, which is why I am considering a JD/MBA (or even JD/MPA). The MBA at the school I am considering is a top-50 program (again, with great regional name recognition).

I would consider just getting the MBA, but the way I see it, I've already missed the admissions cycle for next year. The earliest I could get my MBA only would be fall 2016. I could get the JD/MBA by fall 2017. The work experience I would have from now until the MBA really doesn't help me much professionally (just financially). Also, I'm hoping to use the time in school to help figure out what I really want to do (or even start a company).

Obviously, I'm concerned about going back to school for 4 years after working professionally and having a solid source of income (graudating at 30 years old).

FYI, here is a list of some of my main interests, in no particular order (I know, they are all over the place):
  • Foreign relations/international issues
  • Politics and government
  • Non-profits/lobbying
    Public policy
    Urban planning
    Tech/computer science
    Economics
    Current events
    History
    Real estate development
    In-house counsel
I've read a lot about how skeptical people are about the JD/MBA combination. Also, I've heard plenty say "don't go to law school unless you want to be a lawyer." I'm wondering if anyone out there thinks the dynamic is changed for me given the fact that I have a full ride for the law side of the education, and would probably pay something like $20k for the business education.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Diamond

Re: JD/MBA with full JD tuition?

Post by 09042014 » Mon May 20, 2013 1:24 pm

Top 50 MBA = TTT as fuck.

El_Gallo

Bronze

Post by El_Gallo » Mon May 20, 2013 1:30 pm

Well having the discount is certainly better than not have a discount. However, I wouldn't jump straight into a JD/MBA program unless I had specific goals that required both degrees. Your career interests are all over the place. I would narrow them down a bit more before jumping into such a huge commitment of time and money. Apart from the cost of tuition, you will stick rack up a considerable amount of debt from cost of living.

Your interests really seem to align more with an MBA or an MPA. Why are you considering law school at all?

B School is similar to law school in that unless you have a very unique case, it is usually not worth it to go unless you get into a top program. If I were you, I would follow my passion and start a business. If that failed, I would raise my GMAT score and get into a top MBA program.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Mon May 20, 2013 1:33 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Top 50 MBA = TTT as fuck.
Maybe for prestige, but you'll still graduate making 80k with significantly less debt than from a top 10.

mmacmu1

New

Post by mmacmu1 » Mon May 20, 2013 2:15 pm

El_Gallo wrote:Well having the discount is certainly better than not have a discount. However, I wouldn't jump straight into a JD/MBA program unless I had specific goals that required both degrees. Your career interests are all over the place. I would narrow them down a bit more before jumping into such a huge commitment of time and money. Apart from the cost of tuition, you will stick rack up a considerable amount of debt from cost of living.

Your interests really seem to align more with an MBA or an MPA. Why are you considering law school at all?
I guess I am taking a liberal arts approach to this situation, where I figure I'll somehow figure it out once I'm actually in school. I've heard from lot's of people that this is a bad idea, yet it's hard for me to abandon it. The main reasons I want to go to law school are my academic interest in law, interest in public policy and perhaps becoming an elected official, complimentary benefits it would have for running a business, and frankly the prestige (however much it still has). I suppose it really comes down to whether the time and money (living expenses) will pay off in some general way toward business.
El_Gallo wrote:B School is similar to law school in that unless you have a very unique case, it is usually not worth it to go unless you get into a top program. If I were you, I would follow my passion and start a business. If that failed, I would raise my GMAT score and get into a top MBA program.
This is definitely something I've considered, but, of course, it's a tough jump to make. I guess that's what seperates entrepreneurs from other people. 8)

The other possibility is that I am currently working at a university with a top-10 part time MBA program. They offer almost complete tuition remission, though I have to pay taxes on the benefit (so about $20k total cost to me). The concerns I have about this are the life/work balance (though my hours at work are pretty flexible), the fact that the part-time MBA doesn't offer the same career placement opportunities, and that you miss out on a lot of the projects/competitions from not being full time. Also, I haven't put in the time yet to get the necessary GMAT score (and who knows if I would be accepted, anyway).

I've also considered the fact that I could go to law school for one year, live at home, and not have much in terms of living expenses. This would give me a chance to also decide whether to continue with the JD/MBA, or just go full time MBA (at the school I am considering or elsewhere). If I give up on the law, I haven't lost much in terms of time/money, although it would obviously be great to avoid this.

Thanks for the thoughtful response!

mmacmu1

New

Post by mmacmu1 » Mon May 20, 2013 2:16 pm

Cobretti wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Top 50 MBA = TTT as fuck.
Maybe for prestige, but you'll still graduate making 80k with significantly less debt than from a top 10.
Yes, I'm less concerned with prestige to be honest. Like I said, the school has strong regional name recognition. I'm not trying to work for Goldman. I'm more interested in the curriculum to augment my personal knowledge (this also applies to my interest in law school).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”