How to cite a Federal District Court Order Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jrsbaseball5

Bronze

How to cite a Federal District Court Order

Post by jrsbaseball5 » Tue May 07, 2013 2:43 am

Hey everyone I need some help with Bluebook. I'm a trying to cite a district court order and can't seem to find how to do it. Its from the Federal District Court of Arizona if that helps at all. Also, even if you can just point me to the correct page in Bluebook I would appreciate that as well.

To be clear, I am NOT a law student asking for help on an exam or law review write-on. Just a 0L writing my honors thesis on a legal issue.

Thanks!

jrsbaseball5

Bronze

Re: How to cite a Federal District Court Order

Post by jrsbaseball5 » Tue May 07, 2013 10:14 am

Bump because I posted this during the middle of the night.

GertrudePerkins

Bronze

Post by GertrudePerkins » Tue May 07, 2013 10:29 am

It depends on whether the order was published in a reporter. If it was, you'd cite it just like a regular case, Rule 10.1. If it's not published, best to follow the rule of 10.8.3 as closely as you can.

Is the document you're citing available online? If so, post the link and I'll give you my thoughts on the specific item.

jrsbaseball5

Bronze

Post by jrsbaseball5 » Tue May 07, 2013 12:51 pm

GertrudePerkins wrote:It depends on whether the order was published in a reporter. If it was, you'd cite it just like a regular case, Rule 10.1. If it's not published, best to follow the rule of 10.8.3 as closely as you can.

Is the document you're citing available online? If so, post the link and I'll give you my thoughts on the specific item.
I'm not sure if was published in a reporter because it doesn't mention P2d. or P3d on the case I'm looking at. After looking at both rules it seems like 10.8.3 is probably my best bet. I obtained the case through Lexis, but it is also available on Leagle here: --LinkRemoved--

I actually have quite a few so if this one is easier to give me the basic idea feel free to explain this one instead http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case? ... i=scholarr

Thank you!

GertrudePerkins

Bronze

Post by GertrudePerkins » Tue May 07, 2013 2:01 pm

Actually, if they're available on Lexis or Westlaw, best to cite those versions as directed in 10.8.1(a). At least, that's how we'd do it on a law review, because those databases are the easiest way for lawyers/law students to find the exact document you're talking about. Most people prefer Westlaw, so if you have access to WL and can confirm the information, I would use it. But Lexis is also okay. So for example, the first order you posted (the July 20th order), is available on Westlaw and would look like:
Powell v. Magness, No. CV 12–0663–PHX–GMS (DKD), 2012 WL 2977944, at *1 (D. Ariz. July 20, 2012).
Obviously change the <*1> if you're pointing to some specific later page.

jrsbaseball5

Bronze

Post by jrsbaseball5 » Tue May 07, 2013 2:42 pm

GertrudePerkins wrote:Actually, if they're available on Lexis or Westlaw, best to cite those versions as directed in 10.8.1(a). At least, that's how we'd do it on a law review, because those databases are the easiest way for lawyers/law students to find the exact document you're talking about. Most people prefer Westlaw, so if you have access to WL and can confirm the information, I would use it. But Lexis is also okay. So for example, the first order you posted (the July 20th order), is available on Westlaw and would look like:
Powell v. Magness, No. CV 12–0663–PHX–GMS (DKD), 2012 WL 2977944, at *1 (D. Ariz. July 20, 2012).
Obviously change the <*1> if you're pointing to some specific later page.
Thank you so much for this! Unfortunately, I don't have access to Westlaw so I'm going to have to use Lexis through the database at my school, but following your example and rule 10.8.1(a) led me to rule 18.1.1 where it talks about databases. The only difference that I see between Westlaw and Lexis is that the Lexis examples include U.S. Dist. in front of the Lexis code. I figure this probably has something to do with the format differences between Westlaw and Lexis databases, but without seeing Westlaw I am not sure.

Bluebooking is definitely an exercise in detail :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”