Benefits of Security Clearance Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sportsaholic763

New

Benefits of Security Clearance

Post by sportsaholic763 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:17 am

Hey everyone,

I have a US Gov security clearance, renewable every 5 years, all that jazz, from working in a gov agency in an internship. I plan on starting lawl school this August, and I am wondering if people know whether just having this clearance (and a govt internship) on the resume improves your chances at securing a legal job, either in government or at a firm (maybe a firm that does contracting, govt advising, etc.) to any extent.

Anything anyone knows would be awesome. I want to know whether it will matter at all, I guess. I'll be going to a T-30 school, btw.

sportsaholic763

New

Re: Benefits of Security Clearance

Post by sportsaholic763 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:55 pm

No one has an idea?

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:53 pm

having a security clearance doesn't make you cool, bro.

paul554

New

Post by paul554 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:08 pm

Is it Top Secret (probably not since they are usually renewed every 3 years) and who is it through? DOD, CIA, FBI and so forth do not "share" security clearances. You have to do a new one from scratch for each one but your E-QUIP stays the same for easier updating and they have the option of waiving parts of it or the whole thing (this is rare). The only real benefit is if your applying for the specific agency that you have it through and if it is TS. If it is anything less then TS or is interim, then you have ZERO advantage from it and even if it is TS it really isn't going to be a deal breaker or anything, it just shows that you can pass the thing again and might require a little less work on their part.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:08 pm

sportsaholic763 wrote:Hey everyone,

I have a US Gov security clearance, renewable every 5 years, all that jazz, from working in a gov agency in an internship. I plan on starting lawl school this August, and I am wondering if people know whether just having this clearance (and a govt internship) on the resume improves your chances at securing a legal job, either in government or at a firm (maybe a firm that does contracting, govt advising, etc.) to any extent.

Anything anyone knows would be awesome. I want to know whether it will matter at all, I guess. I'll be going to a T-30 school, btw.
It doesn't do anything.

sportsaholic763

New

Post by sportsaholic763 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:09 pm

TheThriller wrote:having a security clearance doesn't make you cool, bro.
LOL ok sure man
paul554 wrote:Is it Top Secret (probably not since they are usually renewed every 3 years) and who is it through? DOD, CIA, FBI and so forth do not "share" security clearances. You have to do a new one from scratch for each one but your E-QUIP stays the same for easier updating and they have the option of waiving parts of it or the whole thing (this is rare). The only real benefit is if your applying for the specific agency that you have it through and if it is TS. If it is anything less then TS or is interim, then you have ZERO advantage from it and even if it is TS it really isn't going to be a deal breaker or anything, it just shows that you can pass the thing again and might require a little less work on their part.
Thanks

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”