Thomas Goode Jones School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rad lulz

Platinum

Re: Thomas Goode Jones School of Law

Post by rad lulz » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:32 pm

* asks for advice and opinions *

* become ir8 when he doesn't like the advice and opinions *

RMFT12

New

Post by RMFT12 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:42 pm

OP-
As someone who is from Alabama and goes to school in Alabama, I am telling you to do yourself a favor and avoid Jones like the plague. I have numerous friends who have graduated from Jones, and the employment prospects are terrible. To be fair, if you are planning to move back to Opp and work for your Daddy's firm then go ahead, otherwise do not go to Jones. Do you already have a job lined up after graduation (knowing some attorneys is by no means a job offer)? Even if you answered yes, please realize that Jones cuts a good portion of its students after the first year of school to pad its bar passage rates. These students must then retake their 1L year or transfer to Bham School of Law. It's awful, dont do it.

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Post by WanderingPondering » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:31 pm

So these are the people who go to schools like this, huh.

OP, don't get angry at everyone. There are plenty of people from TTTT's that might make really good lawyers but will never know because they can't get any job as a lawyer. Don't you want to give yourself a better chance? If not, why not? I'm not saying T14 or bust, going to Bama would be great for someone staying instate.

Change your study techniques and rock the test. You can learn how to do it, I'm sure.
Last edited by WanderingPondering on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

redline380

New

Post by redline380 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:14 am

A 140? Seriously? I didn't even study and got 152. Different career. Perhaps flippin burgers as mentioned. /thread

JDfun

New

Post by JDfun » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:38 am

I get that the OP got upset with people, but seriously you guys are being dicks. Saying someone is intellectually challenged or they should look at flipping burgers. People on this site have the same goals of going to law school and being successful. Yes, the OP has a low LSAT and should retake, but instead of being asshats, help them grow and get better.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Shmoopy

Bronze

Post by Shmoopy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:40 am

mweeks wrote: So, everyone tells me that if I dont do well on the LSAT, I'm going to be a terrible attorney?
What people are telling you is that it will be very hard to get a job as a lawyer from this school, regardless of whether or not you might be able to be good lawyer if you had the chance. Because you probably won't have the chance if you go to Goode.

EG12

New

Post by EG12 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:15 am

mweeks wrote:So, I'm wanting to get some insight into this school. Is Faulkner a decent school? What do people think of this school?

My GPA is a 3.2, but my LSAT was a 139 then a 140. I studied my ass off and still ended up with a low score. Faulkner has sent me an acceptance letter, and I'm not sure what to do. I want to go to school in the Fall, but I dont know if this school is worth it. Any insight is very helpful! Thanks in advance!
Another thing to consider is going here and transferring. If you keep in the top 1/3 of your class most good state schools will take you. I know people at University of Florida that went to much worse schools and transferred after 1L. That being said I also know plenty of people that have great jobs that went to Jones. It really depends on what your goals are. Will you get big law out of Jones? Simply, no. Is it impossible to get there from Jones? Again no. I know a guy who is graduating from Jones and is enrolled in UF's Tax Law LLM which is ultra competitive. Is going to Jones the end of the world, not at all.

All that these people are saying, in a less mannered way, is when you graduate it's all about how competitive you are against you peers. Tier 1 and 2 graduates will have a better start; experiences when interning and the interview process are a large part of it however. My best friend graduated top 10% from UF law a few years back and it took him two years to get a job simply because he is TERRIBLE at interviewing.
Last edited by EG12 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:41 am

I'm from Alabama and knew one girl that went there. After she graduated she passed the bar in Alabama, then in Florida. She's currently trying to pass a third bar exam in another state. That should give you some insight on how SOL she is.

envisciguy

Bronze

Post by envisciguy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:30 am

A low LSAT score doesn't mean you can't eventually be a good attorney, but it does mean that you likely won't have the opportunity to become one. You need to raise your score and get into at least a solid regional school that will give you the chances that you almost certainly won't have at the school you're considering.

It might not be what you want to hear, but it's reality and it's what you need to do now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:49 am

rad lulz wrote:* asks for advice and opinions *

* become ir8 when he doesn't like the advice and opinions *

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”