MBA - > Defer Loans Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
HuskyHopeful

New

MBA - > Defer Loans

Post by HuskyHopeful » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:56 pm

Quick question:

Does anyone have any experience with enrolling in an online MBA program? As it stands now, I plan on enrolling in law school this coming Fall pursuing a JD/MBA. However, I currently have a full time job that will reimburses 80% of my tuition for an MBA (they don't know i am leaving in August). After doing some research, I noticed several renowned business schools in the area; ie) Northeastern, UMASS Amherst, etc., offer online only MBA degrees. These courses do not require a GMAT score. Are these worth doing or will a giant asterisk be placed next to my name for receiving an online MBA?

rad lulz

Platinum

Re: MBA - > Defer Loans

Post by rad lulz » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:11 pm

I didn't realize Northeastern's MBA program was one of GRAET RENOWN

HuskyHopeful

New

Post by HuskyHopeful » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:19 pm

rad lulz wrote:I didn't realize Northeastern's MBA program was one of GRAET RENOWN
Renowned in New England for sure giving the amount of shitty schools that offer MBA programs. But question still stands if anyone can give me a decent answer would appreciate it.

TheZoid

Bronze

Post by TheZoid » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:44 pm

HuskyHopeful wrote:
rad lulz wrote:I didn't realize Northeastern's MBA program was one of GRAET RENOWN
Renowned in New England for sure giving the amount of shitty schools that offer MBA programs. But question still stands if anyone can give me a decent answer would appreciate it.
Lol no. You've got to be kidding. Serviceable yes- renowned? Certainly not. There's a small group of elite MBA programs, and that's not one of them. HTH

HuskyHopeful

New

Post by HuskyHopeful » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:47 pm

Hey thanks for answering my question and not being anal about adjective use guys.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheZoid

Bronze

Post by TheZoid » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:58 pm

Lol bro, it's not anal about adjective use- you were wrong by a LOT in your characterization of the school and we tried to set the record straight and clear that up for you. Harvard, stanford, Chicago, northwestern, etc. are renowned, not northeastern. But good luck whatever you decide.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:10 pm

HuskyHopeful wrote:Quick question:

Does anyone have any experience with enrolling in an online MBA program? As it stands now, I plan on enrolling in law school this coming Fall pursuing a JD/MBA. However, I currently have a full time job that will reimburses 80% of my tuition for an MBA (they don't know i am leaving in August). After doing some research, I noticed several renowned business schools in the area; ie) Northeastern, UMASS Amherst, etc., offer online only MBA degrees. These courses do not require a GMAT score. Are these worth doing or will a giant asterisk be placed next to my name for receiving an online MBA?
even if you only pay 20%, these schools are still too expensive
(unless you actually want to learn; the degree is useless, the knowledge may be helpful)

Borg

Bronze

Post by Borg » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:21 pm

Sorry that you discovered that this forum is full of antisocial assholes who think their schools are what make them valuable. There is a reason that some people only speak up online, and it's because they are rejects in daily life.

That said, they do make a good point about the value of an online MBA from Northeastern. Look at employment statistics - do graduates get good jobs? Will it really help you in doing what you want to do? I don't think it's known as a great business school and online degrees are highly suspect, so I think you should be very careful about doing this.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:23 pm

Borg wrote:Sorry that you discovered that this forum is full of antisocial assholes who think their schools are what make them valuable. There is a reason that some people only speak up online, and it's because they are rejects in daily life.

That said, they do make a good point about the value of an online MBA from Northeastern. Look at employment statistics - do graduates get good jobs? Will it really help you in doing what you want to do? I don't think it's known as a great business school and online degrees are highly suspect, so I think you should be very careful about doing this.
University of Manchester has a respectable online MBA.

The big question is why OP wants the MBA: is it to enter it on a resume and sound impressive, or does OP actually want the knowledge an MBA can teach?

If the former, don't do it. If the latter, go for it

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Oklahoma2014

New

Post by Oklahoma2014 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:45 pm

Some law schools won't count previous graduate work towards a JD/MBA at their law school. You would want to check directly with your school. This won't be an issue if you plan to pursue the degrees separately, the MBA online and the JD at your law school. However, pursuing them jointly saves something like 12 hours of course work. Just some thoughts and this may not apply at all law schools.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:14 pm

Oklahoma2014 wrote:

Some law schools won't count previous graduate work towards a JD/MBA at their law school. You would want to check directly with your school. This won't be an issue if you plan to pursue the degrees separately, the MBA online and the JD at your law school. However, pursuing them jointly saves something like 12 hours of course work. Just some thoughts and this may not apply at all law schools.
Credits for an MBA started before law school cannot be used to meet ABA required credit hours

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”