How do LS treat you once they got you? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jared6180

Bronze

How do LS treat you once they got you?

Post by jared6180 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:30 pm

Been looking into a few semi-local schools in the Neb/Kan/Iowa/Missouri area and all these schools treat me like I am their top priority. My question is this. How do LS treat students once they have committed? Do law students enjoy any "perks" of learning and entering the profession?

dingbat

Gold

Re: How do LS treat you once they got you?

Post by dingbat » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:32 pm

jared6180 wrote:Been looking into a few semi-local schools in the Neb/Kan/Iowa/Missouri area and all these schools treat me like I am their top priority. My question is this. How do LS treat students once they have committed? Do law students enjoy any "perks" of learning and entering the profession?
The "perks" are that they get to learn and enter the profession.

Hey, you get a nice shiny degree, what more do you want? A commenorative Rolex?

ChikaBoom

Platinum

Post by ChikaBoom » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:39 pm

Cooley has lots of perks. And I hear they have a HUGE library.

They should give rolexes...at least if you bomb out you can hock it for food.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:42 pm

ChikaBoom wrote:Cooley has lots of perks. And I hear they have a HUGE library.

They should give rolexes...at least if you bomb out you can hock it for food.
Rolexes for Cooley grads

OneMoreLawHopeful

Silver

Post by OneMoreLawHopeful » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:27 pm

This is going to be highly individualized depending on what your interests are and what you do once you get there.

There can be some amazing perks, especially associated with student orgs, but it's also easy to miss everything if you just put your head down and go to class.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:50 pm

I get free lunch like 4 days a week

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:18 pm

At my school, there is always free food (usually pizza and sweets), free highlighters, post it notes, free pens and pencils, and a few other things. We've also gotten cups, coffee mugs, etc. Most of the stuff isn't from the school, Lexis and Westlaw are always there giving things out. And Barbri too. Not spectacular, but it's better than nothing; it always cheers up my days lol. I will say this: After I graduate, I will NEVER eat Papa Johns pizza again. For now though, I am a broke student that will take anything she can get.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:22 pm

2014 wrote:I get free lunch like 4 days a week

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:23 pm

This, and Dingbat lies as he is ALWAYS scoring free food.

Seriously, my school has treated me very well since I got here. Had our section dinner last night which was probably 100 buck meal and drinks. I really do love they way they treat me here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:32 pm

gaud wrote:
About once a week we also get free drinks.

And highlighters, flash drives, water bottles, post-its, etc. Not to mention Lexis or WestLaw points.

ChikaBoom

Platinum

Post by ChikaBoom » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:45 pm

Well, considering the cost of this, I am glad they take care of you guys.

I get plenty of crap (post its, highlighters, pens, etc.) from work, but they definitely don't buy us drinks once a week. :lol:

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:15 pm

Lots of free pizza (some schools/organizations splurge for better food).
Free shit from Lexis/BarBri (not WestLaw interestingly enough).
The supposed "prestige" of being a law student.

Sometimes professors will buy you lunch/coffee/doughnuts.

That's about it.

I wish I went to a school that gave out Papa John's. All we get is Dominos (anyone who thinks they are good has no tastes).

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:18 pm

JCFindley wrote:

Seriously, my school has treated me very well since I got here. Had our section dinner last night which was probably 100 buck meal and drinks. I really do love they way they treat me here.
hundred buck meal my ass. Ours was closer to $35 (before tax and tip) per person.
Did have free pizza for lunch yesterday... I was beginning to feel I wasn't getting my money's worth, it had been more than 2 weeks

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:14 pm

dingbat wrote:
JCFindley wrote:

hundred buck meal my ass. Ours was closer to $35 (before tax and tip) per person.
Did have free pizza for lunch yesterday... I was beginning to feel I wasn't getting my money's worth, it had been more than 2 weeks
The student that set ours up has an uncle that owns a restaurant and gave us a deal.... It was swank.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:25 pm

dextermorgan wrote:I wish I went to a school that gave out Papa John's. All we get is Dominos (anyone who thinks they are good has no tastes).
We get Hungry Howie's. :|

I still mob on it

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:32 pm

dextermorgan wrote:I wish I went to a school that gave out Papa John's. All we get is Dominos (anyone who thinks they are good has no tastes).
They're both crappy - one's just less crappy than the other

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:09 am

Dominos is our pizza of choice but it is not the most common food at all. I've had Thai, Indian, Greek, and swanky boxed lunches more often than pizza. Fed Soc brought in Chipotle once, everyone who attended was pleased.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:04 pm

They will give you food and stuff, but as far as treating you as a "priority," nah... They have your money and unless you go to the Dean complaining about something, nobody really cares anymore. It becomes more obvious when next year's ASW comes up and you remember all the pomp and circumstance that was rolled out for you at that point 1 year ago.

livinglegend

New

Post by livinglegend » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:09 pm

I'm sure that is unique to each school obviously every law school wants you to enjoy your experience and succeed, but like anything in life they are going to be much nicer to you before they have your money then after your committed. Law schools are in competition for applicants and you are going to be paying 30,000+ dollars to them and they want your business. When I went to school I received some free food, access to events, etc, and more importantly received a J.D. which got me a bar exam ticket, but after I enrolled I was not treated like a priority unless I built a relationship with a certain professor, administrator, etc. When you enter law school a lot of whether it is a good experience or not will depend on you.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:12 pm

2014 wrote:Dominos is our pizza of choice but it is not the most common food at all. I've had Thai, Indian, Greek, and swanky boxed lunches more often than pizza. Fed Soc brought in Chipotle once, everyone who attended was pleased.
2014 wrote:Fed Soc brought in Chipotle once.
2014 wrote:once.
You guys really need to step up your Fed Soc.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:30 pm

Chipotle is literally the closest restaurant to you guys Joad unless you are going to bring in McDonalds, TBell or BWW. Through some inexplicable city planning the closest Chipotle to us is 6 miles north with only street parking so it takes a heroic effort :P

Also no one likes Fed Soc lunch talks

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:35 pm

2014 wrote:Chipotle is literally the closest restaurant to you guys Joad unless you are going to bring in McDonalds, TBell or BWW. Through some inexplicable city planning the closest Chipotle to us is 6 miles north with only street parking so it takes a heroic effort :P

Also no one likes Fed Soc lunch talks
Chick Fil A is their go to choice and that is a few miles away. I have to applaud their tenacity.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:45 pm

Lower ranked law schools should treat their students well since a lost student is not easily replaced by a transfer student. Top-14 law schools have plenty of transfer applicants willing to pay sticker price vying for each opening, so catering to current law students probably occurs mostly in the job placement realm.

jackattack17

Bronze

Post by jackattack17 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:25 pm

I think it also depends (other things being equal) on whether your school is public or private. I get the impression that private schools are more loose with giving out free food. But free stuff from West/Lexis/Barbri is pretty ubiquitous regardless.

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:59 pm

School gives out a lot, but its amusing to see the battle of Lexis/Westlaw and the battle of Barbri/Kaplan/Themis et al for your soul. Soo many branded items in my apartment now

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”