International Law at Colorado Boulder Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
akm21292

New

International Law at Colorado Boulder

Post by akm21292 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:37 am

Hi! I'm an undergrad in the midst of researching law schools. I am very interested in Colorado Boulder because of the Native American Law program and, to a lesser extent, its amazing location. Can anyone tell me about the international law program? Is it any good? Also, watch is the teaching style like (for instance, lectures or seminars)?

Thank you so much for your help! :)

Tom Joad

Gold

Re: International Law at Colorado Boulder

Post by Tom Joad » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:00 am

For most law students practicing international law is impossible. If your view of international law is working for the United Nations, or the State Department, or an international NGO then it is almost impossible to get a job in international law and those handful of positions will go to the most brilliant graduates of the the very best law schools (Yale, Harvard, and Stanford). If you have a more broad view of international law such as helping multinational corporations transact your job opportunities will still be very limited, especially from Colorado. Most of those jobs will go to graduates of other very top law schools.

Colorado may have a very good Native American law program, but yet again, there are probably very few Native America law jobs available. Most employers care far more about a school's overall rank than specialty program rankings.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”