Really looking for opinions! Several options, what's best? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Wulfz

New

Really looking for opinions! Several options, what's best?

Post by Wulfz » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:00 pm

I'm in my Senior year as a Biochemistry major with a 3.91 GPA. Got several extracurricular activities under my belt (part-time jobs, teaching/tutoring, sports, honors clubs).

I've just recently even heard of Patent Lawyers and I believe that it sounds like a career I would enjoy pursuing. I've got a connection with one of the top patent lawyers in my area and plan to meet with him soon but I wanted to get some ideas on my options...

A. Take a year to work in a related field, then go to law School.
B. Take an extra year to get a minor in physics, possibly do some research, and do an internship, then go to law school.
C. Take a year to work in a related field, then get a masters degree in some sort of Engineering, then go to law School.
D. Take a year to work in a related field, then get a PhD in Biochemistry, then go to law school.
E. Any sort of combination of these things.

I really don't want to get a PhD in Biochemistry... I just really do not want to be in school that long and I don't want to put off my career for that long but if that is the best option I'll do it. I'd prefer to take this year then go directly to law school but I don't want that to come back to haunt me in the future if that isn't my best option. I'm thinking staying for a year and getting a minor in physics, with my degree in Biochemistry and my experience in research with an internship at a patent law firm could be enough to score a good Patent Litigation spot down the road...?

What are your opinions?

Prairie

Bronze

Re: Really looking for opinions! Several options, what's best?

Post by Prairie » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:07 pm

Wulfz wrote: I've just recently even heard of Patent Lawyers and I believe that it sounds like a career I would enjoy pursuing. I've got a connection with one of the top patent lawyers in my area and plan to meet with him soon but I wanted to get some ideas on my options...
I would do a little more digging before you conclude that law is "a career I would enjoy pursuing." Talk to this patent lawyer and ask very candid questions about actually practicing as a patent lawyer.
Wulfz wrote: A. Take a year to work in a related field, then go to law School.
B. Take an extra year to get a minor in physics, possibly do some research, and do an internship, then go to law school.
C. Get a masters degree in some sort of Engineering, then go to law School.
D. Get a PhD in Biochemistry, then go to law school.

I really don't want to get a PhD in Biochemistry... I just really do not want to be in school that long and I don't want to put off my career for that long but if that is the best option I'll do it. I'd prefer to take this year then go directly to law school but I don't want that to come back to haunt me in the future if that isn't my best option. I'm thinking staying for a year and getting a minor in physics, with my degree in Biochemistry and my experience in research with an internship at a patent law firm could be enough to score a good Patent Litigation spot down the road...?

What are your opinions?
I would just see what you can do with your Biochem degree. You may get a job you really like, in which case, law school might be a complete waste of time. In fact, you might consider doing any of A-D and getting rid of the last clause, "then go to law school."

Also, this is not the right forum for this post. Probably better: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=5

Wulfz

New

Post by Wulfz » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:36 pm

I would do a little more digging before you conclude that law is "a career I would enjoy pursuing." Talk to this patent lawyer and ask very candid questions about actually practicing as a patent lawyer.

I would just see what you can do with your Biochem degree. You may get a job you really like, in which case, law school might be a complete waste of time. In fact, you might consider doing any of A-D and getting rid of the last clause, "then go to law school."

Also, this is not the right forum for this post. Probably better: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=5[/quote]

Oh, I definitely plan on doing more digging before I commit to anything, but I have been looking at all of these jobs and haven't really seen much that I like. I love understanding the sciences, I love working with people, I love challenging myself, I want to make good money with decent hours, and I don't want to be in school for the rest of my life (i.e. medical school, graduate school) and waste my 20s when I could be starting a career and a family.

That's the issue with my degree though... I'm not really that interested in doing research, otherwise I'd be a professor (because I do enjoy teaching but general education pay isn't going to cut it for me) and it used to be medical school but with the shady future of medicine, the long hours required, and the enormous amount of debt it brings I'm kinda turned off to that idea these days.

My alternative to patent law right now is Biomedical Engineering.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Moved to appropriate forum.

Wulfz

New

Post by Wulfz » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:41 pm

bk187 wrote:Moved to appropriate forum.
My bad, I was trying to move it to the forum the poster above had said. Thank you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:44 pm

Wulfz wrote:it used to be medical school but with the shady future of medicine, the long hours required, and the enormous amount of debt it brings I'm kinda turned off to that idea these days.
... And so you want to go to law school? I would do more research before you decide that law is better than medicine for the reasons above. Sorry that's not really helpful for your original topic, but that's all I got.

Wulfz

New

Post by Wulfz » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:48 pm

piccolittle wrote:
Wulfz wrote:it used to be medical school but with the shady future of medicine, the long hours required, and the enormous amount of debt it brings I'm kinda turned off to that idea these days.
... And so you want to go to law school? I would do more research before you decide that law is better than medicine for the reasons above. Sorry that's not really helpful for your original topic, but that's all I got.
I should have clarified better... I realize Law School will be long hours and a bunch of debt, but the hours was more of a reference to the internship and actual practice (after med school), then it was the combination of these things that turned me off, not just one or the other.

That's why I am here though... doing my research.

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:04 pm

Wulfz wrote:
... and it used to be medical [law] school but with the shady future of medicine[law], the long hours required, and the enormous amount of debt it brings I'm kinda turned off to that idea these days.

My alternative to patent law right now is Biomedical Engineering.
Even IP people can strike out. Like others have said, really ask around and make sure you do not go to law school unless you would be okay doing ANY legal work.

But that said, IP background that is strong is definitely much more appealing to a firm that some other K-JD in libarts. If you do decide to go to law school, meet up with IP attorneys before Dec. 1 and talk with them, then apply to IP shops on Dec. 1.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:24 pm

I think A is best. Working is always the best choice because you're making $ instead of wasting it and it will give you an idea of what you do or don't actually want to do if you're still questioning.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:21 pm

cinephile wrote:I think A is best. Working is always the best choice because you're making $ instead of wasting it and it will give you an idea of what you do or don't actually want to do if you're still questioning.
I agree with this. IP + WE + decent grades at good school + solid interviewing = lots of options. I don't think your other listed options gain you much more.

Wulfz

New

Post by Wulfz » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:28 pm

quiver wrote:I agree with this. IP + WE + decent grades at good school + solid interviewing = lots of options. I don't think your other listed options gain you much more.
Looking at most of the openings for Patent Law positions, they almost all say that a PhD is strongly encouraged. I really trying to gauge if not having one puts me at much of a disadvantage with my undergrad degree.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:33 pm

Wulfz wrote:
quiver wrote:I agree with this. IP + WE + decent grades at good school + solid interviewing = lots of options. I don't think your other listed options gain you much more.
Looking at most of the openings for Patent Law positions, they almost all say that a PhD is strongly encouraged. I really trying to gauge if not having one puts me at much of a disadvantage with my undergrad degree.
How many years of your life will it take to get a PhD? Is it really worth the opportunity cost?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”