How to use supplements? Confused 1L Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
admisionquestion

Bronze

How to use supplements? Confused 1L

Post by admisionquestion » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:55 am

Everything I read before school emphasized:

"You will not learn black letter law in class. You will need to consult supplements for this"

This paragraph could seem arrogant--understand it is exactly the opposite. I am reading very slowly and I have a strong background in a field that involves a lot of dense textual analysis. I feel like I am "getting it" as I go. I am briefing thoroughly and generally doing too much work. But right now, I feel like I am seeing how the few cases we have read in each class are pulling together... understanding the rules they create or interpret and guessing how they could be developed by future cases/how they might fit into an outline down the road.

Aren't these "rules" the black letter law I am supposed to be learning?

And if so, is it possible I am getting what I need directly from the cases? Or am I just likely ignorant of what I am actually supposed to be learning?

If not, what exactly is meant by "black letter law?"

iamreading

New

Re: How to use supplements? Confused 1L

Post by iamreading » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:31 am

search through the forums or google it.. your ability to sift through information will be of use to you.. this is a helpful forum not a concierge

admisionquestion

Bronze

Post by admisionquestion » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:36 am

iamreading wrote:search through the forums or google it.. your ability to sift through information will be of use to you.. this is a helpful forum not a concierge
WTF. Ass.

I asked specific questions. I didn't ask "what is a supplement?" Or any other fantastically stupid question. I did ask what exactly is black letter law, but it was within a more meaningful context...

What a great first post. Solid contribution. I'm glad that your here to tell me what the purpose of this forum is, I hadn't gathered the type of posts that people typically make... over the past year and a half of using the site...

Rude responses like yours, should typically contain a link to something making ME look dumb. Like a "LMGTFY" link. Or a post in this thread that answers my question very clearly...

clintone88

Bronze

Post by clintone88 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:46 pm

I think that you can easily pick up BLL from reading cases and paying attention in class. I found supplements were only helpful in classes with dense, boring cases like con law where I didn't want to read the actual cases.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”