Torts--multiple choice questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Torts--multiple choice questions

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:27 pm

We had a quiz last week in torts. Five questions, and I got 2/5. These quizzes don't count for a lot grade wise but I was obviously not happy since a) there is mc on the final b) I know the material c) the three I got wrong all felt like trick questions (either there seemed to be no right answer or multiple contending answers).

Is there a good way to prepare for these? Books? Just practice? Is it lol that I'm freaking out a little?

HBBJohnStamos

Bronze

Re: Torts--multiple choice questions

Post by HBBJohnStamos » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:45 pm

Where do you go to school?

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:48 pm

what were the questions?

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:10 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:We had a quiz last week in torts. Five questions, and I got 2/5. These quizzes don't count for a lot grade wise but I was obviously not happy since a) there is mc on the final b) I know the material c) the three I got wrong all felt like trick questions (either there seemed to be no right answer or multiple contending answers).

Is there a good way to prepare for these? Books? Just practice? Is it lol that I'm freaking out a little?
Go find a Torts MC supplement... Also, what was the curve? If this is a first assessment, would not surprise me if the average score was a 2-3, in which case you did not do too bad.

Tbh, its better to have this happen now and not just luck out on these tricky Qs, then get destroyed on the final that is worth so much more of your grade.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:46 pm

I took another quiz and this time got 5/5. The class average is 5.8/10 and I've got 7/10, so feeling much better about this. In the interim I outlined the class material up until this point, which was super helpful. Basically, the prof writes the questions in a tricky way (a b c d e, where d. is a + c, but not b, and e. is none of the above) but the analysis required is nothing more than careful application of black letter law to the fact pattern. So i'm feeling I have a better hand on this.

my view on torts quizzes:
1. read material carefully
2. take detailed notes in class and HIGHLIGHT definitions and topics the prof emphasizes
3. on the quiz apply the elements of a given charge one by one
4. close read the question stem and make note of every part of the language which is suggestive ("plaintiff rushed to the scene" is different than "plaintiff arrived at the scene," suggesting possibly an emergency situation).
Last edited by Hutz_and_Goodman on Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HBBJohnStamos

Bronze

Post by HBBJohnStamos » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:47 pm

Strong thread.

Bruin57

New

Post by Bruin57 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:29 am

I had a problem with MC in torts last year at the beginning also. I bought the Q&A Torts book and did all 200 questions before finals and took my time. The ones i got wrong I looked at the explanation to see why i got it wrong. My mistakes were always I rushed to fast and I would give an answer for the wrong type of question. For example I would say the answer was consent (Intentional tort answer) when they answer should have been assumed the risk (negligence answer). Once i took my time and asked myself what type of tort is this, is this a duty question or causation question, etc etc i significantly raised my MC score and got 2nd highest grade in the class. Hope this helps

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:52 pm

I got the Siegels MC Torts book last year. It was pretty crappy. I wouldn't recommend it, but I'm not sure if there's another mainstream MC supplement out there.

I'm sure it was mentioned above, but if your prof has past exams on file, those would be the best questions to practice with.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”