When to stop briefing? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
poloshark

New

When to stop briefing?

Post by poloshark » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:29 pm

EDIT: Got it. Thanks all! Decided my strategy before each class is going to be to:

Read and sparingly highlight each case 2x, LEEWS mini brief only 2 sentences of facts + holding, confirm BLL with commerical OL, read pertinent section of E&E, spend 30-60 min/case doing commercial hypos or trying to think of hypos in my head that would alter the holding based on the Court's reasoning, ID and make note of any forks in law (rule v. counter rule or competing interpretations of a law) or forks in the facts.

No idea if this plan is credited, but it sounds like the TLS advice is to do what you think works for you, so hasta la vista procedural history and drawn out fact summaries.
Last edited by poloshark on Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrf12886

Bronze

Re: When to stop briefing?

Post by jrf12886 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:48 pm

My take on briefing: Write down as much as you need to feel comfortable in class should you be called upon. This may be nothing or it may be a good amount. Other than that, a brief description of the holding/rule is good because that will likely end up in your outline so you might as well get it out of the way early.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:51 pm

Yesterday.

lisavj

Bronze

Post by lisavj » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:55 pm

I book briefed everything except the LWR assignment where we had to full brief. Worked for me.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:48 pm

How much does the professor nitpick during class and how afraid of humiliation are you (also, is participation a part of your grade)? If you know when you'll be on-call in advance, then it's pretty useless. If you don't want to freeze up in class, maybe it'd be a good idea to either brief or find a brief online to consult.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

poloshark

New

Post by poloshark » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:56 pm

Could care less about being humiliated in class. Thick skin from pre law W E... Just want what will be the best use of time preparing for exams. Some people say briefing cases help them really understand the legal arguments and thus, analogize better on issue spotters. Idk how I will know if I'm one of those people until after winter exams though.

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:01 pm

Now.

Detrox

Bronze

Post by Detrox » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:27 pm

poloshark wrote:Could care less about being humiliated in class. Thick skin from pre law W E... Just want what will be the best use of time preparing for exams. Some people say briefing cases help them really understand the legal arguments and thus, analogize better on issue spotters. Idk how I will know if I'm one of those people until after winter exams though.
You won't be able to know. Just do what feels comfortable. Knowing what's going on in class tends to be a good yardstick on whether you need to be studying the material more rather than worrying about how you look to your sectionmates.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:04 am

3-5 sentences should suffice for most non-conlaw cases.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nealric

Post by nealric » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:41 am

Don't start.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:57 pm

Lets say we couldnt care less about looking stupid during a cold call. What is the BEST way to be studying? I have been focusing on the cases and doing thorough briefs because we focus on the cases in class. What I am most worried about is what I need to focus on that will help me the most in preparing for the exams. Taking: Crim law, contracts, torts and civ pro at MVP

Detrox

Bronze

Post by Detrox » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:42 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Lets say we couldnt care less about looking stupid during a cold call. What is the BEST way to be studying? I have been focusing on the cases and doing thorough briefs because we focus on the cases in class. What I am most worried about is what I need to focus on that will help me the most in preparing for the exams. Taking: Crim law, contracts, torts and civ pro at MVP
Going to depend on your professors. Look at old exams a bit later in the year, they'll be your greatest resource.

Sav

New

Post by Sav » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:30 am

?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”