What's my play? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Wolverine58

New

What's my play?

Post by Wolverine58 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:17 am

I'm a rising Senior at Michigan with 14 credits to graduate. My GPA is 3.68 (which LSAC would convert to a 3.71). I haven't taken the LSAT yet, but I have a tutor, and have taken two practice LSATs so far (162, 164). My tutor says I might benefit if I have more time to study (and take the December test). But I was planning on taking it in October so my applications could get in earlier.

Should I:

a) take the LSAT in October. Earlier application. No classes this semester and 8 weeks to focus entirely on the LSAT.

b) take the LSAT in December. Take classes and bump GPA to 3.75 with a 4.0. Later application. More time to study for the LSAT.

How important is submitting your application "early in the cycle"?

Ruxin1

Silver

Re: What's my play?

Post by Ruxin1 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:19 am

Wolverine58 wrote:I'm a rising Senior at Michigan with 14 credits to graduate. My GPA is 3.68 (which LSAC would convert to a 3.71). I haven't taken the LSAT yet, but I have a tutor, and have taken two practice LSATs so far (162, 164). My tutor says I might benefit if I have more time to study (and take the December test). But I was planning on taking it in October so my applications could get in earlier.

Should I:

a) take the LSAT in October. Earlier application. No classes this semester and 8 weeks to focus entirely on the LSAT.

b) take the LSAT in December. Take classes and bump GPA to 3.75 with a 4.0. Later application. More time to study for the LSAT.

How important is submitting your application "early in the cycle"?
You should get a 4.0 this whole year and take more time to study, work for a year, and then apply. Having a 3.75+ and WE and actual time to get as close to 180 as possible

Don't be in a rush.

seahawk32

Bronze

Post by seahawk32 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:59 am

Ruxin1 wrote:
You should get a 4.0 this whole year and take more time to study, work for a year, and then apply. Having a 3.75+ and WE and actual time to get as close to 180 as possible

Don't be in a rush.
This.

bostonlawchick

Bronze

Post by bostonlawchick » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:23 am

seahawk32 wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:

Don't be in a rush.
This.
Working for a year or two is always credited, especially given the uncertainty in the legal profession and the economy right now. WE is never a bad thing to have when it comes to selling yourself to law schools and employers.

That said, if you're dead set on going I would wait until December. Making a huge jump in a month and a half is a lot of pressure to put on yourself while also maintaining your 4.0 for the semester. Just have your entire application package polished and ready to go the second you get your score back. I think the benefits of two months of study outweigh the later app date, especially since applications have been down.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”