The Law School Girlfriend- Advice Wanted Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Jenna

New

The Law School Girlfriend- Advice Wanted

Post by Jenna » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:38 am

Hi there. I already went through the law school application process with my boyfriend, and he actually just started orientation for his first year yesterday. I quite honestly feel in over my head, and I can't imagine how much worse it is for him. The situation is compounded by the fact that I'm still an undergrad, and for the next two years I will primarily be living four hours away. We are together for the long haul, but I'm quite terrified because I keep reading about things that can and will go wrong. Any advice of how I can be the best law school girlfriend possible? Things to expect or warnings of what not to do? Anything would be appreciated. Thanks!

patrickd139

Gold

Re: The Law School Girlfriend- Advice Wanted

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:45 am

IBBreakUpWithHim.

(Aside: I'm shocked it took this long before someone snatched the username 'Jenna')

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:48 am

Why do you feel in over your head?
Orientation's barely started (depending on the school)
Just relax, and understand that 1L year has different time requirements than UG (so don't expect a call every day, let alone every few hours)

Oh, get a ring on there and pay part of his tuition, pronto (dat fat divorce settlement...)

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:54 am

dingbat wrote:Oh, get a ring on there and pay part of his tuition, pronto (dat fat divorce settlement...)
El-oh-el. Hope you're not in Texas.

Jenna

New

Post by Jenna » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:58 am

I was surprised as well Patrick and thanks anyways but I'm not interested in breaking things off.

And dingbat, I just don't know what to expect, and what I need to do to help him. He has started a few of his classes and when he tells me how scared/nervous he feels, all I can say is 'I believe in you, yes it will be hard but you can do it'. I feel kinda helpless not being able to do anything. In his first class the prof said she can only give A's to 10% of students and if they can pull off a 3.0 that is quite a feat. He needs a 3.2 to maintain his scholarship, which we really need. I understand that we won't be able to talk on the phone for hours and my visits will probably consist of cleaning his apartment and taking care of things he doesn't have time for (like stocking him up on leftovers). I just feel like I should be saying/doing something more to help, because he has barely started and all I hear about are the nerves and how hard everything is.

Haha and I'm not in Texas, Ohio actually, and we've decided to postpone all ring/marriage talks until we both graduate so we can focus on school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:00 am

Last edited by presh on Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jenna

New

Post by Jenna » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:05 am

presh-I'm pretty sure he will become one of those, and I've already marked down finals on my calendar so I know when his stress level will be peaking. Thanks for the heads up!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:06 am

You sound like the ideal law school girlfriend already
When he says those things, just let him talk and/or reassure him
Be understanding of his time requirements
And when he doesn't feel like studying, kick his ass for going to the kind of school that have such crappy stipulations to their scholarships (or just let him blow off steam)
Relax, he'll be fine, and so will you (can't vouch for your relationship, though)

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:08 am

Jenna wrote:I was surprised as well Patrick and thanks anyways but I'm not interested in breaking things off.

And dingbat, I just don't know what to expect, and what I need to do to help him. He has started a few of his classes and when he tells me how scared/nervous he feels, all I can say is 'I believe in you, yes it will be hard but you can do it'. I feel kinda helpless not being able to do anything. In his first class the prof said she can only give A's to 10% of students and if they can pull off a 3.0 that is quite a feat. He needs a 3.2 to maintain his scholarship, which we really need. I understand that we won't be able to talk on the phone for hours and my visits will probably consist of cleaning his apartment and taking care of things he doesn't have time for (like stocking him up on leftovers). I just feel like I should be saying/doing something more to help, because he has barely started and all I hear about are the nerves and how hard everything is.

Haha and I'm not in Texas, Ohio actually, and we've decided to postpone all ring/marriage talks until we both graduate so we can focus on school.
Tell him to drop out of law school because that school sounds like one of those miserable Ohio TTTs like Case, and your boyfriend has a high chance of unemployment, in which case y'all will break up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:10 am

Jenna wrote:I was surprised as well Patrick and thanks anyways but I'm not interested in breaking things off.

Why is he acting like this is new information? This is the kind of thing he should have already known before he enrolled.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:14 am

rad lulz wrote:

Tell him to drop out of law school because that school sounds like one of those miserable Ohio TTTs like Case, and your boyfriend has a high chance of unemployment, in which case y'all will break up.
The worst part is, if he gets a job it may be in a place like Cleveland. But seriously you sound very supportive and thats half the battle.

Jenna

New

Post by Jenna » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:20 am

Thanks for the all the advice/reassurance dingbat I really appreciate it. And yeah I know our relationship will struggle but I'm confidant it can survive.

And we actually both want to work in Cleveland, which is why he chose to attend school there. And we knew he needed a 3.2 to maintain his scholarship, but it covers almost 90% of his tuition so it seemed reasonable. What we didn't know is that the profs aren't allowed to give more than 10% of students As, which makes attaining such a high gpa even harder.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:22 am

Jenna wrote:Thanks for the all the advice/reassurance dingbat I really appreciate it. And yeah I know our relationship will struggle but I'm confidant it can survive.

And we actually both want to work in Cleveland, which is why he chose to attend school there. And we knew he needed a 3.2 to maintain his scholarship, but it covers almost 90% of his tuition so it seemed reasonable. What we didn't know is that the profs aren't allowed to give more than 10% of students As, which makes attaining such a high gpa even harder.
That's not a bad deal as long as he maintains te scholarship. Does he have a plan of he doesn't keep it?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bmore

Bronze

Post by bmore » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:24 am

This is fairly common. How did he not know that?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:28 am

Jenna wrote:Thanks for the all the advice/reassurance dingbat I really appreciate it. And yeah I know our relationship will struggle but I'm confidant it can survive.

Find out what the curve is (ie what class rank he needs)
Then browse through every thread on succeeding 1L year, pick the parts most suitable for his personality and make him read if while orientation is in full swing - as of the end if the week he won't have time to read them anymore

also, I'm really surprised no one has mentioned anything sexual yet...

Jenna

New

Post by Jenna » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:29 am

top30man wrote:

That's not a bad deal as long as he maintains te scholarship. Does he have a plan of he doesn't keep it?

If he loses it we're gonna pick up the slack with money we have saved up and loans. But it will be a lot of slack to pick up, and we while scrimp as much as possible, at the end of the day we're two broke college kids lol. Loans are terrifying but we have accepted that he will be in debt after school. Luckily I won't be, and I work 3 jobs at school so I can save money while he focuses on school. Obviously he is gonna try to keep the scholarship, but even if he does we need to save up as much money as possible and just prepare for the worst while he works for the best.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:31 am

does he still get anything if he doesn't make a 3.2?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:32 am

If he loses the scholarship he needs to drop the fuck out. Whether its C-M or Case, those schools have pretty bad employment prospects.

Jenna

New

Post by Jenna » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:33 am

dingbat wrote:

Then browse through every thread on succeeding 1L year, pick the parts most suitable for his personality and make him read if while orientation is in full swing - as of the end if the week he won't have time to read them anymore

That is a great idea, I'll do it tonight after work. Thank you so much. Aaand yeah we were living together before he moved to his new apartment for school and even if nobody's mentioned it I knew when he was applying I was saying goodbye to my sex life. It happens. We have the rest of our lives, a few years won't kill us. Right? (>.<)

And I actually already had him set up some meetings to find out what other money the school will give him if he can't keep a 3.2

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:37 am

Jenna wrote:And we actually both want to work in Cleveland, which is why he chose to attend school there. And we knew he needed a 3.2 to maintain his scholarship, but it covers almost 90% of his tuition so it seemed reasonable. What we didn't know is that the profs aren't allowed to give more than 10% of students As, which makes attaining such a high gpa even harder.
Serious response time:

Send your boyfriend to this page.

And then to this page.

And finally, to this page.

Jenna

New

Post by Jenna » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:57 am

patrickd139 wrote:
Jenna wrote:And we actually both want to work in Cleveland, which is why he chose to attend school there. And we knew he needed a 3.2 to maintain his scholarship, but it covers almost 90% of his tuition so it seemed reasonable. What we didn't know is that the profs aren't allowed to give more than 10% of students As, which makes attaining such a high gpa even harder.
Serious response time:

And then to this page.

Thank you. Thank you so so much!! I really appreciate your help. I'll send thi to him right now. Thanks for everything guys!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:04 pm

Jenna wrote:
dingbat wrote:

That is a great idea, I'll do it tonight after work. Thank you so much. Aaand yeah we were living together before he moved to his new apartment for school and even if nobody's mentioned it I knew when he was applying I was saying goodbye to my sex life. It happens. We have the rest of our lives, a few years won't kill us. Right? (>.<)

And I actually already had him set up some meetings to find out what other money the school will give him if he can't keep a 3.2
You do sound like a good girlfriend, but I'm just going to put it out there that spending your time pushing him to succeed is going to get old really fast.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:05 pm

Jenna wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
Serious response time:

And then to this page.

Thank you. Thank you so so much!! I really appreciate your help. I'll send thi to him right now. Thanks for everything guys!
also this page: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/ucp.php?mode=register

superbloom

Bronze

Post by superbloom » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:24 pm

FWIW, I believe this is C-M. Case didnt put stips on scholarships this year.

HBBJohnStamos

Bronze

Post by HBBJohnStamos » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:03 pm

rad lulz wrote:If he loses the scholarship he needs to drop the fuck out. Whether its C-M or Case, those schools have pretty bad employment prospects.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”