What did you do right? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
beautyistruth

Bronze

What did you do right?

Post by beautyistruth » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:56 pm

There's no need to rehash the articles that go on about big law being a long shot, law school being a risky move, etc. Browsing the legal employment thread as a 0L indicates to me that there are at least some TLSers who are still finding good employment after law school (presumably from a top school). What I'd like to know is this. For those who have found a well-paying job (biglaw or midlaw in a secondary market with a lower cost of living), what things or combination of things do you think you did right in the process Did you work harder? Network harder? Did the lucky stars just shine on you? (Coming from a 0L who has no significant knowledge of how the legal hiring process works).

solotee

Bronze

Re: What did you do right?

Post by solotee » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:48 am

Big law legal hiring begins after your first year of law school. If you miss the boat and don't get hired after your first year of law school, then you can pretty much write big law off.

So the thing I did right was place first year of law school as my #1 priority. I did everything I possibly could to get the best grades possible. That led to a big law permanent offer.

Again, if you do bad your first year, there's not much you can do to make up for it second or third year of law school.

silenttimer

Bronze

Post by silenttimer » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:09 am

solotee wrote:Big law legal hiring begins after your first year of law school. If you miss the boat and don't get hired after your first year of law school, then you can pretty much write big law off.

So the thing I did right was place first year of law school as my #1 priority. I did everything I possibly could to get the best grades possible. That led to a big law permanent offer.

Again, if you do bad your first year, there's not much you can do to make up for it second or third year of law school.
I hate responses like these -- it's very unhelpful. I summered in 2009 at vault 100 firm, did not get an offer, and now I'm back at a different Vault firm after a one-year stint clerking for a state court judge. I am nowhere near the top of my class (approximately top 1/3 from a T-25 law school). Several of my classmates are also at Vault 100 firms after a year or two clerking for a state-level judge. Here's my advice: figure out what practice area you want to be in, establish a track-record signifying your interest in the practice area, and reach out to everyone you know and even the ones you don't know who went to your school (undergrad or law) and are practicing in your area of interest, and get your foot in the door for an interview. There's not magic formular but that's what happened to me a several of my classmates. Not saying that this would work for you but I hope you find it helpful.

LSAT>LDAC

New

Post by LSAT>LDAC » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:28 am

silenttimer wrote:
solotee wrote:Big law legal hiring begins after your first year of law school. If you miss the boat and don't get hired after your first year of law school, then you can pretty much write big law off.

I hate responses like these -- it's very unhelpful.
Disagree. It's vital to stress 1L grades if you're interested in Big Law, and letting someone interested in how to land Big Law employment know that is helpful.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:02 am

Do your best your 1L year. Duh.
I disagree, partially, with the other 2/3 of this. If you don't get in at a firm you are, in no way, screwed out of ever getting into a firm. An awesome alternative to being at a firm for your 1L summer (since those positions are exceedingly RARE) is to do an externship with a judge in the market in which you want to practice. If it's at the federal level, even better. After doing this, when you begin interviewing for your 2L summer, firms will see the judges name and be like "oh i argued in front of Judge X, how was working for him/her?"

Additionally, while doing said externship in said target market, you are perfectly positioned for meaningful networking. The clerks have contacts. The judge has contacts. You are around for local bar association events.

So yes get good grades. But all that does is get you screeners. I know people that blew all 30 OCI interviews they had because they are aspie. Lastly, I recommend to everyone that you go out into the world and work for a while before going to law school if that's an option. It makes an enormous difference in the entire law school process.

/grain of salt

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”