Charlotte Law School Aample Program Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
meika02

New

Charlotte Law School Aample Program

Post by meika02 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:11 am

I took the LSAT Feb 2012 and my score was 142 I was denied admission into Charlotte Law School but recently recieved a letter about their aample program. I was wondering if there is anyone else has taken it. The program is 6 weeks and will cost me $500 plus $300 for books. Is it worth it?

catholicgirl

Bronze

Re: Charlotte Law School Aample Program

Post by catholicgirl » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:17 am

Assuming not flame

No. No. No. Absolutely not. There's a decent chance this school will shutter its doors very soon because of decreased enrollment. Do not do this. Take a class and retake the LSAT.

Answering questions/concerns you will undoubtedly have

1) But I can't afford to retake the LSAT/an LSAT class: But you can afford to put yourself in hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt for a useless law degree?

2) You guys are elitist: No we are not. We are actually trying to help you. I was about 90% committed to going to a school in the low 60s before I made my final choice.

dilemma101

New

Post by dilemma101 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:33 am

catholicgirl wrote:Assuming not flame

No. No. No. Absolutely not. There's a decent chance this school will shutter its doors very soon because of decreased enrollment. Do not do this. Take a class and retake the LSAT.

1) But I can't afford to retake the LSAT/an LSAT class: But you can afford to put yourself in hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt for a useless law degree?

2) You guys are elitist: No we are not. We are actually trying to help you. I was about 90% committed to going to a school in the low 60s before I made my final choice.
She gives great advice. And I felt the need to say say because Archer may be one of the funniest/dirtiest/makes me wish my middle name was Mallory shows on tv currently

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:42 pm

Please don't do Aample at Charlotte (or anywhere for that matter). If you get in, you'll have the honor of paying 220k for shitty job prospects

--LinkRemoved--

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:46 pm

I went to undergrad in Charlotte. The only thing I have ever heard about that school was from a friend who knew a recent grad. She said "I know someone that went there. I think she's planning on taking the bar exam AGAIN soon."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:47 pm

No. DO NOT GO TO THAT SCHOOL. The COA is something like $250,000.

Please post your stats here and we can help you figure out something else.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:49 pm

sunymp wrote:Please post your stats here and we can help you figure out something else.
meika02 wrote:I took the LSAT Feb 2012 and my score was 142 I was denied admission into Charlotte Law School but recently recieved a letter about their aample program. I was wondering if there is anyone else has taken it. The program is 6 weeks and will cost me $500 plus $300 for books. Is it worth it?
Other options: Barring some serious studying and a retake, not law.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm

The school is part of a chain of for profit schools. Retake and avoid at all costs.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm

Bedsole wrote:
sunymp wrote:Please post your stats here and we can help you figure out something else.
meika02 wrote:I took the LSAT Feb 2012 and my score was 142 I was denied admission into Charlotte Law School but recently recieved a letter about their aample program. I was wondering if there is anyone else has taken it. The program is 6 weeks and will cost me $500 plus $300 for books. Is it worth it?
Other options: Barring some serious studying and a retake, not law.
Didn't see that number. OP: How much did you study for the LSAT? It is a learnable test and you can improve that score with serious work.

Again, do not go near that school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

meika02

New

Post by meika02 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:51 am

I studied on my on for about six months then took the Lsat. My undergrad gpa was 3.4 and my lsat score was 142. The lsat prep courses offered in my area are $1000+ and several people have told me they didn't help increase their test scores.

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:14 am

meika02 wrote:I studied on my on for about six months then took the Lsat. My undergrad gpa was 3.4 and my lsat score was 142. The lsat prep courses offered in my area are $1000+ and several people have told me they didn't help increase their test scores.
well, a shitty degree from a terrible school will cost you much more in the long run. retake or choose another career path

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:56 pm

meika02 wrote:I studied on my on for about six months then took the Lsat. My undergrad gpa was 3.4 and my lsat score was 142. The lsat prep courses offered in my area are $1000+ and several people have told me they didn't help increase their test scores.
You can find methods for self-study on this forum. You should follow them and retake. You don't have to pay for an expensive prep course. Your GPA isn't terrible. You can do better than this school.

meika02

New

Post by meika02 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:30 pm

Ok Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:51 pm

meika02 wrote:Ok Thanks!
Because I want to help you avoid the mistake of going to this school:

Here is pithypike's guide and the thread discussing it. As I said, You don't have to use an expensive prep course. You can also get support for your prep by posting in the threads on this forum. I've seen people make study groups, ask each other questions and provide moral support.

Don't accept that low LSAT score.

Pithypike

Wahoos

New

Post by Wahoos » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:00 pm

Last edited by Wahoos on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

el William

New

Post by el William » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:15 pm

I won't go as far as Wahoo, and say no law school for you, but seriously do not even consider Charlotte. It is easily the worst school in the state. I have the same GPA and I got into UNC with a half decent (not by TLS standards) LSAT. Even a moderate improvement would allow you to go to Elon or NCCU, not the best options, but WAY better than Charlotte at sticker.

boss-mike

New

Post by boss-mike » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:30 pm

Spam

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:38 pm

boss-mike wrote:Here is a link to website where you can find get all of the info needed to pass the aample program.

--LinkRemoved--
Here's the website where you can get all information required to avoid any school with an AAMPLE program at all costs.
http://www.lawschooltransparency.com

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:38 pm

Avoid Charlotte School of Law. I worked in Charlotte the past two summers and I have heard what attorneys say of the school. Avoid.

fleebailey

New

Post by fleebailey » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:56 pm

Most of the statements on here are untrue. I don't work for admissions by the way, and am a 2L there now. It is nowhere near closing. Just the opposite. They let way too many people in with a poor chance of success, but they like to pile up the 1L's to get the $. About 10% were academically dismissed last year. But the COA is less than half of what has been stated here. They do charge too much money, and I do not care for a lot of the administrations policies. I am here because of logistics mainly. The school is a for-profit, and the profit comes from students, no doubt. All that said, they do spend big $ on professors. About 80% of the professors are impressive and come from Biglaw, U.S. Attorney offices, or corporate counsel, and many are from T1 schools. Some are not as good, as you will find most places.

If you are looking to get in a well-known large firm right out of school, you will need to be in the top 10% of your class. I personally know students who have gone straight from CSOL into Fortune 500 corporate counsel jobs, as well as top local firms. It is the exception, rather than the rule..Most of them were top 10%.

I am a second-career student with many contacts in business and legal circles, so my situation is different for employment prospects. I have several options already to consider in that arena.

I will not be responding to any CSOL detractors, but will be glad to respond to serious questions. I would personally take a course such as Kaplan to prepare for LSAT, and would not go the AAMPLE route at any school. My CSOL are just an honest, no-frills appraisal.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:25 pm

boss-mike wrote:Here is a link to website where you can find get all of the info needed to pass the aample program.

--LinkRemoved--
I like how the two paragraphs abt the AAMPLE program on this link contain numerous typos, misspellings, and homophone errors. I hope it's a flame...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

deepbluepentium

New

Post by deepbluepentium » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:40 pm

catholicgirl wrote:Assuming not flame

The school will not be closing. It's expanding and moving to a better location downtown Charlotte.

deepbluepentium

New

Post by deepbluepentium » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:47 pm

mr.hands wrote:Please don't do Aample at Charlotte (or anywhere for that matter). If you get in, you'll have the honor of paying 220k for shitty job prospects

--LinkRemoved--
There is a territorial advantage to going to Charlotte Law. It's the only law school in Charlotte offering interns (during the school year) to the law community.

I would however like to read your definition of "shitty job prospects." Have you worked the professional job market? Ever? If so, where? If not, please site your source(s). Please bestow us with your credentials so we can take your vulgar assertions seriously.

deepbluepentium

New

Post by deepbluepentium » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:48 pm

mr.hands wrote:Please don't do Aample at Charlotte (or anywhere for that matter). If you get in, you'll have the honor of paying 220k for shitty job prospects

--LinkRemoved--
There is a territorial advantage to going to Charlotte Law. It's the only law school in Charlotte offering interns (during the school year) to the law community.

I would however like to read your definition of "shitty job prospects." Have you worked the professional job market? Ever? If so, where? If not, please site your source(s). Please bestow us with your credentials so we can take your vulgar assertions seriously.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:50 pm

deepbluepentium wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

Do you have a job lined up after graduation?

Also, he did cite his source. Click the link

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”