Taking Bar Classes v. Padding GPA Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
barestin

New

Taking Bar Classes v. Padding GPA

Post by barestin » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:41 pm

Is it better to take bar classes during law school as opposed to loading up on easier classes your 2nd and 3rd year to pad your GPA? I have always been an independent learner and a good percentage of people in lectures goof around during classes anyway and then just cram for the final a month out. Wouldn't it be better to just graduate with the highest GPA possible to strengthen job prospects? I only ask because many people who went with BarBri for bar prep said they pretty much re-teach everything and you are going to forget most of the material you learn in law school by the time you graduate law anyway. Any opinions or personal stories would be appreciated.

piccolittle

Silver

Re: Taking Bar Classes v. Padding GPA

Post by piccolittle » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:09 pm

barestin wrote:Is it better to take bar classes during law school as opposed to loading up on easier classes your 2nd and 3rd year to pad your GPA? I have always been an independent learner and a good percentage of people in lectures goof around during classes anyway and then just cram for the final a month out. Wouldn't it be better to just graduate with the highest GPA possible to strengthen job prospects? I only ask because many people who went with BarBri for bar prep said they pretty much re-teach everything and you are going to forget most of the material you learn in law school by the time you graduate law anyway. Any opinions or personal stories would be appreciated.
BarBri does teach you everything. If you have taken 1L classes you should be fine. Though, some people need the comfort of "relearning" the bar classes.

ETA: I'm a 1L but my undergrad qualified me to take the bar. Did BarBri in 2009 with no previous US legal education, passed.

dixon02

Bronze

Post by dixon02 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:19 pm

It might depend somewhat on what school you go to, but generally speaking taking a class just because it's on the bar is pretty useless. You'll learn what's on the bar in BarBri/on your own. Padding your GPA is a better idea, but again depends on your situation. If you're a 2L with an offer, then who cares what your GPA is. In a case like that, just take whatever you want (presumably something interesting with a good teacher and not too much work).

barestin

New

Post by barestin » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:23 pm

dixon02 wrote:It might depend somewhat on what school you go to, but generally speaking taking a class just because it's on the bar is pretty useless. You'll learn what's on the bar in BarBri/on your own. Padding your GPA is a better idea, but again depends on your situation. If you're a 2L with an offer, then who cares what your GPA is. In a case like that, just take whatever you want (presumably something interesting with a good teacher and not too much work).
No offer, just a rising 2L planning to network like crazy. It's good to know that I am not the only one who thinks like this haha. Thanks.

barestin

New

Post by barestin » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:23 pm

piccolittle wrote:
barestin wrote:Is it better to take bar classes during law school as opposed to loading up on easier classes your 2nd and 3rd year to pad your GPA? I have always been an independent learner and a good percentage of people in lectures goof around during classes anyway and then just cram for the final a month out. Wouldn't it be better to just graduate with the highest GPA possible to strengthen job prospects? I only ask because many people who went with BarBri for bar prep said they pretty much re-teach everything and you are going to forget most of the material you learn in law school by the time you graduate law anyway. Any opinions or personal stories would be appreciated.
BarBri does teach you everything. If you have taken 1L classes you should be fine. Though, some people need the comfort of "relearning" the bar classes.

ETA: I'm a 1L but my undergrad qualified me to take the bar. Did BarBri in 2009 with no previous US legal education, passed.
That's awesome. What state(s) did you take/pass the bar in?

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:43 pm

barestin wrote:
piccolittle wrote:

That's awesome. What state(s) did you take/pass the bar in?
NY. BarBri is solid.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”