OL Advice Needed Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Jredelman15

Bronze

OL Advice Needed

Post by Jredelman15 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:05 pm

When applying for a 1L job for biglaw, assuming my grades are good enough first semester, will I be disadvantaged because of a non-relevant liberal arts degree? Also any insight on the call back and interview process in general would be appreciated. MY target market is houston/dallas/austin. I will be coming from UH/SMU

chem

Silver

Re: OL Advice Needed

Post by chem » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:18 pm

Jredelman15 wrote:When applying for a 1L job for biglaw, assuming my grades are good enough first semester, will I be disadvantaged because of a non-relevant liberal arts degree? Also any insight on the call back and interview process in general would be appreciated. MY target market is houston/dallas/austin. I will be coming from UH/SMU
Nope. Look for the OCI/callback threads that basically break everything down. Only time undergrad major matters is for IP, ie technical majors

chitown2626

New

Post by chitown2626 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:53 pm

chem wrote:
Jredelman15 wrote:When applying for a 1L job for biglaw, assuming my grades are good enough first semester, will I be disadvantaged because of a non-relevant liberal arts degree? Also any insight on the call back and interview process in general would be appreciated. MY target market is houston/dallas/austin. I will be coming from UH/SMU
Nope. Look for the OCI/callback threads that basically break everything down. Only time undergrad major matters is for IP, ie technical majors
TITCR

lowereastside

New

Post by lowereastside » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:17 pm

You won't be able to take advantage of the IP programs that a lot of firms have, but thats about it. Nobody cared at all about my humanities major.

But 1L summer associates positions are hard. Are you in any way a minority? (race, national origin, sexual orientation) If so, that'll help tremendously because most law firms have diversity programs that do hire 1Ls for paid summer positions. Most of the people I know working as SAs as 1Ls either have tech backgrounds, are minority (Asians count here too!), are LGBT, or have some connection with the firm, through family members, etc. And that is on top of good grades.

Best of luck!

Jredelman15

Bronze

Post by Jredelman15 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:27 pm

lowereastside wrote:You won't be able to take advantage of the IP programs that a lot of firms have, but thats about it. Nobody cared at all about my humanities major.

But 1L summer associates positions are hard. Are you in any way a minority? (race, national origin, sexual orientation) If so, that'll help tremendously because most law firms have diversity programs that do hire 1Ls for paid summer positions. Most of the people I know working as SAs as 1Ls either have tech backgrounds, are minority (Asians count here too!), are LGBT, or have some connection with the firm, through family members, etc. And that is on top of good grades.

Best of luck!
No minority status for me. The only thing I hopefully will have are good grades and interview skills.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:31 pm

From what I've picked up,

After LS starts, UG doesn't really matter too much (unless IP).
After first law job, your work is more relevant than what you did in LS

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”