Michigan State College of Law Student Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cabbydui

New

Michigan State College of Law Student Taking Questions

Post by cabbydui » Sun May 27, 2012 1:43 pm

Fire away!

velociraptor

New

Re: Michigan State College of Law Student Taking Questions

Post by velociraptor » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:51 pm

1) Thank you for offering yourself as a resource. I really appreciate it (and will try not to take advantage of you).
2) Question time: HOUSING! I'm living abroad and relying on what I read on TLS (from an old thread) and my brief 1.5 days in East Lansing last year. Which apartment complexes do you recommend (or advise us to steer clear of)?

cabbydui

New

Post by cabbydui » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:31 pm

I would stay away from Owen Hall. It is the residential hall (re dorms) for graduate and international students at MSU. The room are tiny and the price is steep. It is right across the street from the Law School which is nice during the sometimes snowy winter months but the overall value is very lacking.

I've heard good things about Hull Apartments on Hagadorn and Haslett. It is 2 miles from the school and costs $600 for a one-bedroom and maybe $850-ish for a 2 bedroom. It is really quiet and a good place to unwind after the day-to-day grind of law school.

A lot of students live in Chandler Crossing or Abbott Place. These have a very undergraduate feel complete with the party atmosphere. They are located 4+ miles from the law school.

velociraptor

New

Post by velociraptor » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:32 pm

Thanks so much for the tips!

Another question:
We were mailed something with advice from a 3L who said to look into checking out textbooks from the library. Apparently the law library has older editions of books that can be checked out for 6 months at a time (hooray!). My understanding is that, like undergrad texts, sometimes a slightly older edition doesn't matter (one off from the latest), while other times the approach and content can change dramatically. Is it generally safe to contact professors ahead of time (this week) to ask if they would mind us using older editions?

Don't want to unnecessarily disturb them (or have them feel that I did so).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”