1 Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
FlanAl

Silver

Re: Bitter But Hopeful Cornell Rising 2L Taking Questions

Post by FlanAl » Wed May 30, 2012 12:42 am

very simple breakdown of the lrap situation:

At Vandy you could just sign up for IBR and be mellow after 10 years (your payments would actually be less than Cornell's)

SO why on earth is Cornell's better? Because it isn't tied into IBR and there is no 10 year commitment. Also your yearly payment doesn't end up being that much higher than IBR. I could be totally off base but I think they just really help you with payments on like a 10 year repayment schedule (i.e. they contribute like twice as much as you do toward your loans) and if you quit after 5 years or whatever, half of your loans are paid off.

In IBR if you quit after 5 years, you'll pretty much have to pay off all of your loans, since you've only been making payments that cover the interest.

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Wed May 30, 2012 11:37 am

Thanks for all the input guys. This thread was really helpful

IgosduIkana

Bronze

Post by IgosduIkana » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:36 am

I agree, learned a lot from this thread!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:28 am

Ikki wrote: Although I second what Shan said here. Wegman's is way, way overrated and over-priced.
Worst WEGMANS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> best price chopper every single time....

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:25 am

Cornell 1.95L here. I had a fine year. I think a lot of it had to do with my section. I really liked my section as a whole. Sure, there were a couple (read: 2) ultra-competitive nut-jobs, but the rest were pretty swell. If you find a good group of mates from the get-go, life is a lot better (kind of like what Ikki said earlier). I think my opinion on life would be very different if I was in a not so great section, as gunning and weird pseudo professionalism seems to dominate some groups of Cornell students.

Also, 1L year is really just a long test in figuring out what's important and what's not. The reason most people spend so much needless time "studying" is that they aren't very good at sifting through the never-ending onslaught of material LS throws at you. The result is an overworked, overstressed student that, come test day, knows a ton of material, but may not be able to properly sift through that mess.
Get good at sifting (early) and you'll find 1L year, even at big bad Cornell, is not too shabby.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:57 am

PinkCow wrote:Cornell 1.95L here. I had a fine year. I think a lot of it had to do with my section. I really liked my section as a whole. Sure, there were a couple (read: 2) ultra-competitive nut-jobs, but the rest were pretty swell. If you find a good group of mates from the get-go, life is a lot better (kind of like what Ikki said earlier). I think my opinion on life would be very different if I was in a not so great section, as gunning and weird pseudo professionalism seems to dominate some groups of Cornell students.

Also, 1L year is really just a long test in figuring out what's important and what's not. The reason most people spend so much needless time "studying" is that they aren't very good at sifting through the never-ending onslaught of material LS throws at you. The result is an overworked, overstressed student that, come test day, knows a ton of material, but may not be able to properly sift through that mess.
Get good at sifting (early) and you'll find 1L year, even at big bad Cornell, is not too shabby.
But what do you think of Wegmans?

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:00 am

PennBull wrote:
But what do you think of Wegmans?

I FREAKING LOVE WEGMANS. Maybe you guys are just spoiled. I've never been to another giant grocery store where you can get such a good variety of ethnic foods, baked goods, and even freaking lobster. Come on. Plus, late summer they always do barbecues outside and the food for sale is really good. And their burritos...if it wasn't for Chipotle recently moving here...

I will acknowledge that the prices aren't always the best, but that's why you have Aldi, BJs, and WalMart.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:05 am

PinkCow wrote:
PennBull wrote: But what do you think of Wegmans?

I FREAKING LOVE WEGMANS. Maybe you guys are just spoiled. I've never been to another giant grocery store where you can get such a good variety of ethnic foods, baked goods, and even freaking lobster. Come on. Plus, late summer they always do barbecues outside and the food for sale is really good. And their burritos...if it wasn't for Chipotle recently moving here...

I will acknowledge that the prices aren't always the best, but that's why you have Aldi, BJs, and WalMart.
:)

The thread has turned decidedly pro-Wegmans. I can die happy.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:05 am

Whole Foods ? :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:09 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Whole Foods ? :D
Whenever I feel like spending 6 dollars for a gallon of milk, I'll go to Whole Foods.

They have some useful niche items, but to do everyday grocery shopping there as a student is insane.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”