John Marshall Chicago Grads/students? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
older_student

New

John Marshall Chicago Grads/students?

Post by older_student » Fri May 25, 2012 1:08 am

Looking for feedback from any current students - especially on scholarship retention. Does JM stack recipients together in classes? I've heard other CHI schools do this. Thx.

goldeneye

Silver

Re: John Marshall Chicago Grads/students?

Post by goldeneye » Fri May 25, 2012 1:17 am

I don't know but I would think long and hard about even attending.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Fri May 25, 2012 10:21 am

One of the worst lawl schools in the country. Don't go for anything but free... even then, still probably not.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Fri May 25, 2012 11:10 am

rickgrimes69 wrote:One of the worst lawl schools in the country. Don't go for anything but free... even then, still probably not.
Free would be ok lol. Depending on your goals.

What is your gpa/LSAT?

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Fri May 25, 2012 12:02 pm

Br3v wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:One of the worst lawl schools in the country. Don't go for anything but free... even then, still probably not.

What is your gpa/LSAT?
at that point they would probably have at least money to some other schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Fri May 25, 2012 1:03 pm

Turned down a full ride plus $10k stipend. Stipulations were that I remain in the top 10% of the class and they wouldn't remove the stips.

For me, just the lost earnings over three years was enough to make it not worth it. I'm sure there are situations where it might be an okay investment, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Fri May 25, 2012 1:06 pm

Br3v wrote:

What is your gpa/LSAT?
Nothing is ever free. Ignoring time / effort costs, there's also the opportunity cost of lost wages during those three years.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Fri May 25, 2012 1:11 pm

Honestly, I couldn't imagine going through three years of law school (even if free) if there was a strong possibility that I would be jobless at the end of it.

older_student

New

Post by older_student » Fri May 25, 2012 1:41 pm

lsat 158 / 3.3 GPA (from NU econ).
I only had 3 weeks to prep for lsat though.

I already have a job - am interested in pt law school.
Not looking for big firms - looking for law degree to advance / even protect my interests.

85% of Marshall grads reportedly pass the bar. I understand it has low prestiege - but it seems to be a low-cost way to pass the bar.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Fri May 25, 2012 1:56 pm

older_student wrote:lsat 158 / 3.3 GPA (from NU econ).

Not looking for big firms - looking for law degree to advance / even protect my interests.

85% of Marshall grads reportedly pass the bar. I understand it has low prestiege - but it seems to be a low-cost way to pass the bar.
Bar passage rate has little to do with your chances of finding a job. When you say 'low-cost', does that mean 'full ride'? You honestly shouldn't even be considering JM otherwise.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri May 25, 2012 2:01 pm

older_student wrote: I only had 3 weeks to prep for lsat though.
Retake

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Fri May 25, 2012 3:17 pm

Just my 2 cents...forgetting about stacking sections...top 10% is a ridiculous stip...if you dont make that cuttof your looking at a huge debtload.....I hate the whole retake or dont go sentiment on this forum but I really do think you should take a cycle off...even if you dont retake.\

What other schools did you apply to with those stats you might be able to land a t-30 with some money..I did...so even if you dont want to retake (which you might as well do if you take a cylce off anyway) you might land way better schools next cylce if you reach out

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri May 25, 2012 4:31 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:

Just my 2 cents...forgetting about stacking sections...top 10% is a ridiculous stip...if you dont make that cuttof your looking at a huge debtload.....I hate the whole retake or dont go sentiment on this forum but I really do think you should take a cycle off...even if you dont retake.\

What other schools did you apply to with those stats you might be able to land a t-30 with some money..I did...so even if you dont want to retake (which you might as well do if you take a cylce off anyway) you might land way better schools next cylce if you reach out
Well, this is a classic retake or dont go situation... OP only studied for 3 weeks lol.

T30 and a scholarship with a 3.3/158? LOLOLOLOL. Those numbers are at or below the 25th percentile at nearly every T30 (except UMNs LSAT and WUSTLs GPA). You are a rare exception mcdeeremitch.

SaintsTheMetal

Bronze

Post by SaintsTheMetal » Fri May 25, 2012 11:31 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote: What other schools did you apply to with those stats you might be able to land a t-30 with some money..I did...so even if you dont want to retake (which you might as well do if you take a cylce off anyway) you might land way better schools next cylce if you reach out
are you black or native american?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”