BU Questions? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
username99

Bronze

BU Questions?

Post by username99 » Thu May 17, 2012 2:16 pm

Hey all, I'm a rising 2L (strange to say that) at BU. Happy to answer any questions.

stillwater

Gold

Re: BU Questions?

Post by stillwater » Thu May 17, 2012 2:20 pm

username99 wrote:Hey all, I'm a rising 2L (strange to say that) at BU. Happy to answer any questions.
Employment outlook, general mood? Doom and gloom, some light, sunny? How is BU doing in this regard?

freaknroll

Bronze

Post by freaknroll » Thu May 17, 2012 2:22 pm

stillwater wrote:
username99 wrote:Hey all, I'm a rising 2L (strange to say that) at BU. Happy to answer any questions.
Employment outlook, general mood? Doom and gloom, some light, sunny? How is BU doing in this regard?
+1. Also, I've had students told me that, in their opinion, the school has not weathered the recession as well as some of it's peers and that hiring in Boston isn't experiencing an upswing. Can you give your thoughts on this?

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Thu May 17, 2012 2:41 pm

It's going to be tough for OP to answer these questions about jerbs, since OP hasn't gone through OCI yet, so I'll chime in.

Rising 3L here: It's all anecdotal and I don't know where others are ranked, but everyone I know found work. Most of them are at firms. Boston seems to be doing fine to me, and BU places into NYC as well. Personally, I'm at a Boston firm this summer and half of our class is from BU.

username99

Bronze

Post by username99 » Thu May 17, 2012 3:08 pm

bceagles182 wrote:It's going to be tough for OP to answer these questions about jerbs, since OP hasn't gone through OCI yet, so I'll chime in.

Rising 3L here: It's all anecdotal and I don't know where others are ranked, but everyone I know found work. Most of them are at firms. Boston seems to be doing fine to me, and BU places into NYC as well. Personally, I'm at a Boston firm this summer and half of our class is from BU.
Well, this person calmed my fears a bit!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu May 17, 2012 3:11 pm

username99 wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:It's going to be tough for OP to answer these questions about jerbs, since OP hasn't gone through OCI yet, so I'll chime in.

Well, this person calmed my fears a bit!
Doesn't sound too comforting...

bingbang1025

Bronze

Post by bingbang1025 » Thu May 17, 2012 3:47 pm

I'm from SoCal and want to return to SoCal. I'm going to BU because I didn't get into UCLA/USC and figured BU's 1/3 tuition scholarship>Loyola's $105k scholarship. How hard is it going to be for me to get a solid firm job in cali? I'm open to working in Boston/NY if the opportunity is right but my strong preference is to return to so cal.

username99

Bronze

Post by username99 » Sat May 19, 2012 7:02 pm

I'm not entirely sure. When I was making a BU vs. USC decision last year, I heard from a bunch of lawyer friends out there that California employers look first to California law students. Even if that's not directly true, you have to figure that you'd at least be competing with kids from Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, and USC. On the other hand, a lot of it will come down to your credentials and your networking. I have one friend here who got an LA firm job for next yr (others may have but I only know about him). It might be tougher to get back out there (and I can't speak to HOW tough it may be) but it is not impossible.

If you are 100% sure you want to be in LA, Loyola might be a fair choice. But if you have any doubt, BU's a much better school.

bingbang1025

Bronze

Post by bingbang1025 » Mon May 21, 2012 12:57 am

username99 wrote:I'm not entirely sure. When I was making a BU vs. USC decision last year, I heard from a bunch of lawyer friends out there that California employers look first to California law students. Even if that's not directly true, you have to figure that you'd at least be competing with kids from Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, and USC. On the other hand, a lot of it will come down to your credentials and your networking. I have one friend here who got an LA firm job for next yr (others may have but I only know about him). It might be tougher to get back out there (and I can't speak to HOW tough it may be) but it is not impossible.

If you are 100% sure you want to be in LA, Loyola might be a fair choice. But if you have any doubt, BU's a much better school.
The stipulations on the Loyola scholarship are the tipping point. If i don't stay in my scholarship-packed section's top 40% i lose my scholarship. At least BU's is guaranteed. And if going to BU means i'll have to network harder, I will. worth it to go to a better school and carry the better school with my for the rest of my life than to base my decision on the first job i might get out of law school

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LSATNightmares

Silver

Post by LSATNightmares » Mon May 21, 2012 4:32 pm

Hey there (I'm one of your BU classmates). We also have this link here where we are answering questions. :-)

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=375

MEK21

New

Post by MEK21 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:11 pm

So BU is basically my ideal school. I LOVE Boston and want to study IP law. Any advice for the application process? Anyone else interested in IP?

Did anyone take a LSAT Prep Course? And if so which one?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”