Is there time for joining student orgs in 1L? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
poe

Bronze

Is there time for joining student orgs in 1L?

Post by poe » Wed May 16, 2012 12:11 am

Or will we already be too busy?

Platinum

Re: Is there time for joining student orgs in 1L?

Post by 071816 » Wed May 16, 2012 12:15 am

There's plenty of time. Believe it or not, you won't be studying 100% of the time. If you are, you're doing it wrong. You should also make time to volunteer and do other stuff outside of class to keep your sanity.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed May 16, 2012 12:35 am

I didn't join really any student orgs because I didn't give a crap.

tedalbany

Gold

Post by tedalbany » Wed May 16, 2012 12:39 am

rad lulz wrote:I didn't join really any student orgs because I didn't give a crap.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed May 16, 2012 1:05 am

rad lulz wrote:I didn't join really any student orgs because I didn't give a crap.
But if you want to join, there really is plenty of time. Law school is generally 3 months of relatively relaxed work and 1 month of nose to the grindstone (save for the memo). I just finished 1L, and it wasn't as much work as I thought it was going to be.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

katjust

Bronze

Post by katjust » Wed May 16, 2012 1:25 am

Yeah, and you were too busy evangelizing on TLS.

And yes, there is time to join student legs.

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Wed May 16, 2012 1:35 am

my student orgs were the best part of 1L

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Wed May 16, 2012 1:36 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
But if you want to join, there really is plenty of time. Law school is generally 3 months of relatively relaxed work and 1 month of nose to the grindstone (save for the memo). I just finished 1L, and it wasn't as much work as I thought it was going to be.
+1

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Wed May 16, 2012 1:45 am

Student organizations are a must. They're a break from the bullshit of law school classes and an opportunity to actually do something productive for yourself and/or society. Some of them are fun and an enjoyable use of time, too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Wed May 16, 2012 1:50 am

Tanicius wrote:Student organizations are a must. They're a break from the bullshit of law school classes and an opportunity to actually do something productive for yourself and/or society.
Really? At my school they're mostly just people having meetings for the sake of hearing themselves talk. I've been to meetings where the only discussion topic was "what should we discuss in the next meeting?" Mostly a giant waste of time.

Volunteering for community outreach stuff is different and awesome, so maybe we're talking about different things. I'm referring mostly to student "interest groups."

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Wed May 16, 2012 1:55 am

Void wrote:
Tanicius wrote:Student organizations are a must. They're a break from the bullshit of law school classes and an opportunity to actually do something productive for yourself and/or society.
Really? At my school they're mostly just people having meetings for the sake of hearing themselves talk. I've been to meetings where the only discussion topic was "what should we discuss in the next meeting?" Mostly a giant waste of time.

Volunteering for community outreach stuff is different and awesome, so maybe we're talking about different things. I'm referring mostly to student "interest groups."

The work on journals is about as useless as you can get, but at least they have networking opportunities, and they're usually full of people with like-minded interests to you, assuming you join a student journal that interests you. I just did trial team and other advocacy things all year, and it was a hell of a time. Caring about classes came at the month before finals.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed May 16, 2012 2:01 am

Is there any consensus on mock trial/moot court if you don't get a journal? Obviously my first choice is a journal but if I don't grade-on or if I don't make it through write-on, I'm gonna need something to show some involvement. I have zero desire to ever do litigation, but would mock trial/moot be beneficial absent a journal spot?

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Wed May 16, 2012 2:02 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Is there any consensus on mock trial/moot court if you don't get a journal? Obviously my first choice is a journal but if I don't grade-on or if I don't make it through write-on, I'm gonna need something to show some involvement. I have zero desire to ever do litigation, but would mock trial/moot be beneficial absent a journal spot?

Don't do it if you have zero lit interest. It's not like law review where just being on the team is prestigious. Winning at it, whether it's intramural or extramural, is what means something on the resume, but that's not going to matter if you're not applying to any jobs where litigation skills are relevant.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Wed May 16, 2012 2:17 am

Tanicius wrote:
Void wrote:

The work on journals is about as useless as you can get, but at least they have networking opportunities, and they're usually full of people with like-minded interests to you, assuming you join a student journal that interests you. I just did trial team and other advocacy things all year, and it was a hell of a time. Caring about classes came at the month before finals.
I am so confused. When did we start talking about journals in this thread?

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Wed May 16, 2012 2:23 am

Void wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
Void wrote:

Most of the journals at Boalt are student-run organizations. 1L's can join them, so they're as much a student org as any other.
At Boalt at least, the journals are all student-run, and 1L's can join them first semester, so I'd say they're as much a student org as any.

LSATNightmares

Silver

Post by LSATNightmares » Wed May 16, 2012 7:52 am

I found little time to do clubs. A lot of things also didn't interest me. As a 2L, I'm actually going to be running the clubs that did little with the hope of providing more interesting events to particular students. (E.g. I'm into environmental law, and there was only one event all year... so I could have cared less that the IP law society was doing something.)

I think the consensus is, if you don't get on a journal, you should do moot court. It's just something good to have on your resume. Otherwise, recruiters will look at you and think you're lazy or something. At least writing briefs will give you skills you will practice, even if you don't use your oral arguing skills immediately after graduating.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed May 16, 2012 7:57 am

I didn't join any clubs. I thought they were all pretty stupid and useless. There are a lot of ways to have a break from work besides joining a club, some far more enjoyable.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FantasticMrFox

Silver

Post by FantasticMrFox » Wed May 16, 2012 8:00 am

are you by chance looking for a poetry club
ETA: I know, super lame--i just pulled an all-nighter (excuses)

PMan99

Bronze

Post by PMan99 » Wed May 16, 2012 10:50 am

Tanicius wrote:
Void wrote:
Tanicius wrote: Most of the journals at Boalt are student-run organizations. 1L's can join them, so they're as much a student org as any other.
At Boalt at least, the journals are all student-run, and 1L's can join them first semester, so I'd say they're as much a student org as any.
It's the same way at H too. Useful because you can just add it to the hell that is 1L year and drop it 2L/3L... it'll be on the OCI resume either way.

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Wed May 16, 2012 3:10 pm

PMan99 wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
Void wrote:
Tanicius wrote: Most of the journals at Boalt are student-run organizations. 1L's can join them, so they're as much a student org as any other.
It's the same way at H too. Useful because you can just add it to the hell that is 1L year and drop it 2L/3L... it'll be on the OCI resume either way.
Jesus. Between 1L opt-on journals, Pass/Fail grading, and guaranteed employment, you Harvard kids don't have to do shit in law school! What stops you from just taking bong hits for three years?

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Wed May 16, 2012 7:51 pm

Tanicius wrote:At Boalt at least, the journals are all student-run, and 1L's can join them first semester, so I'd say they're as much a student org as any.
I am in at Cal and have a few questions.
1. In the 1L year, are extra-curriculars necessary? I am planning to spend what little time I have outside of studying with my wife and kid. Is this bad for my resume? In 2L year, I know extra-currics are needed, so I'll do something.
2. Is this the order of prestige? law review > journals > moot court > orgs? Where does BCLT fit in?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Wed May 16, 2012 8:15 pm

It's really not about prestige. Student orgs are best used to hang out with people you relate to, make connections, if possible develop some relevant skills, and/or do some work that is more tangible than the boring marathon of classwork. The only prestigious stuff you can do outside of grades is get something published, make law review, or win at a competition of some kind. The more practical purpose all student orgs have in common is that they tell a potential employer that you're balanced enough to handle things outside of class reading. Being married with a kid hopefully seen as a balancing act all on its own, so you should only join student orgs your 1L year if they look interesting to you.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Fri May 18, 2012 12:33 pm

There is but I wouldn't. It's likely to just be a way for 1L's to get together and complain to each other. This is not good for motivation. I avoided large gatherings of 1L's during my first year because everyone is so demoralizing.

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Fri May 18, 2012 12:50 pm

Mce252 wrote:There is but I wouldn't. It's likely to just be a way for 1L's to get together and complain to each other. This is not good for motivation. I avoided large gatherings of 1L's during my first year because everyone is so demoralizing.
What did you mean by, "There is"?

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Fri May 18, 2012 1:06 pm

I decided to become active in two student orgs this past year. I was interested in interacting with like-minded people outside my immediate friend group, and I wanted a good way to signal my interests to employers on my resume. I chose one career-oriented group and one that was related to my personal interests. I had a blast and I have positions on both boards next year. I guess it depends on the quality of the student orgs at your school, but I highly highly highly recommend it. You can't live in your books.

ETA: At my school, orgs hold lunch/speaking events and receptions a lot, so it's easy to be "involved" without committing too much time to it. That said, I was a 1L board rep in the two orgs that I was interested in, and it's a great way to make friends and get to know a different group of people without too much of a commitment. Also, it can help in interviews; you look engaged with the wider school community, and you can talk about the meaningful ways you contributed, or why you care about the issues your group is concerned with. At my school almost everyone I know is heavily involved with at least one society.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”