American University Washington College of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
FunkyJD

Silver

Re: American University Washington College of Law

Post by FunkyJD » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:47 pm

Last edited by FunkyJD on Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toomuchcoffee

New

Post by toomuchcoffee » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:37 pm

Hi, I have a 160, 3.36 gpa - double major at a major UC. What are my chances at the PT American program, also can anyone answer how difficult is it to transfer from PT to FT after 1L? Is it not allowed or allowed and doable?

heywire555

New

Post by heywire555 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:53 pm

waitlisted at American.

Does anyone know how admissions determines who to accept since waitlisters are not ranked? also, typically what is the percentage of waitlisters that are eventually admitted?

mmiracle

New

Post by mmiracle » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:59 pm

heywire, what are your stats? just curious since I haven't heard back from AU :( did you apply both FT and PT?

NicRen

New

Post by NicRen » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:38 pm

I don't know if you are still waiting to here but I just got waitlisted at American yesterday with a 162, and 3.705*

I applied for full time but they gave me the option of being waitlisted for full time and part time.

*I am a transfer student from a community college on semester system to a UC on quarter system and this is only my UC GPA at the time of application. My community college GPA is considerably lower.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:02 pm

Last edited by gdane on Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

umichgrad

Bronze

Post by umichgrad » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:03 pm

WL with 167/3.4. Surprised, but have other plans so withdrew.

2009 Prospective

Bronze

Post by 2009 Prospective » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:05 pm

umichgrad wrote:WL with 167/3.4. Surprised, but have other plans so withdrew.
WLC is rather notorious for yield protection.

kartal

Bronze

Post by kartal » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:25 pm

I would like the following questions to be answered by current/former AU WCL students if any is following here:

1. What is the typical section size?

2. How is the grading curve at your law school?

3. Do you see your law school as a cut-throat (very competitive) school or not so?

4. What is your favorite part about your law school?

5. Why are you glad you chose your law school over some of the other options that you had? What were your other options?

6. Does the faculty lean more liberal or conservative? How about the student body?

7. How generous is the school in granting scholarships?

8. How do you rate the facilities (school building, library)?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jetlagz28

Bronze

Post by jetlagz28 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:00 pm

kartal wrote:I would like the following questions to be answered by current/former AU WCL students if any is following here:

1. What is the typical section size?

Each section is between 70-75 students.

2. How is the grading curve at your law school?

3.3 or B+ curve. EVERYONE has a high GPA. A 3.0 is well below the median.

3. Do you see your law school as a cut-throat (very competitive) school or not so?

No the classes are not, but the extracurricular activities and employment positions are (law review, moot court, research assistant, etc...)

4. What is your favorite part about your law school?

The professors, the support from the various departments, the students in general. The students are interested in and pursue a diverse number of careers. This is refreshing.

5. Why are you glad you chose your law school over some of the other options that you had? What were your other options?

My other options were limited, WCL was the best school I got into. Chose over Chicago-Kent, Denver, Seattle, Northeastern and some T3's.

6. Does the faculty lean more liberal or conservative? How about the student body?

The faculty and student body are liberal. Political affiliation is not worn on your sleeve though.

7. How generous is the school in granting scholarships?

Limited when compared to other schools.

8. How do you rate the facilities (school building, library)?

I rate the facilities an 8.5/10. The damn location of the actual building prevents it from anything higher. The library is excellent, plenty of room, lots of study rooms. The building and classrooms are also excellent.

PM if you have more questions.

amassherst

New

Post by amassherst » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:52 pm

Thanks for answering those questions, jetlagz28. They were helpful. I got into American and I'm excited about it.

I'm curious as to how you spent your summers (if you're > 1L). Did you go abroad? Do any type of clerkship? Internship? Summer associateship? Relax?

You mentioned that you found it refreshing that students were pursuing all types of careers but is there still some culture of gunners for biglaw?

MSW8510

New

Post by MSW8510 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:24 pm

Got WL letter today, 3.65 GPA, 172 LSAT :shock: Is there any rationale as to how they pick students to admit?

gobearcats

New

Post by gobearcats » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:16 pm

Hi-can any current WCL student answer my question (it is off topic from the previous posts).

I really want to transfer to WCL from my current law school. Do you have any information regarding the transfer process/what criteria are generally focused on? I am heavily involved in the public interest field and the excellence of the public interest programs at WCL is one of the primary reasons I want to transfer. Any information at all would be really helpful. Thanks a lot!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

things fall apart

Bronze

Post by things fall apart » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:13 am

Any new opinions on the faculty and career choices for Public Interest?

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:30 am

Which are the closest apartment areas next to the law school? Where do most people typically live? I highly doubt I will be having a car my first year unless I take it cross-country for a road trip back east before starting law school.

Which may be kind of fun to go camping and see some National Parks/part of the U.S. I've never seen.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:58 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:Which are the closest apartment areas next to the law school? Where do most people typically live? I highly doubt I will be having a car my first year unless I take it cross-country for a road trip back east before starting law school.

Which may be kind of fun to go camping and see some National Parks/part of the U.S. I've never seen.
Don't take your car to DC. DC is not a city where you need a car because the metro system is pretty awesome and the city makes it difficult to have a car (high parking, easy to get violations). I went to GW for UG so I don't know the best places to live around American Law but I know the area has a lot of houses.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:17 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:Which are the closest apartment areas next to the law school? Where do most people typically live? I highly doubt I will be having a car my first year unless I take it cross-country for a road trip back east before starting law school.

I'll have a car. I have no choice. My doggie is coming with me to law school (wherever I go). He's big.

I'm anticipating wasting a lot of money on parking fees and whatnot. Ugh.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:53 pm

gdane5 wrote: I'll have a car. I have no choice. My doggie is coming with me to law school (wherever I go). He's big.

I'm anticipating wasting a lot of money on parking fees and whatnot. Ugh.
I was actually thinking about bringing my dog too. I'm not really sure though that between classes and studying I'll really have enough time to spend at home and hang out with him, and I can't stand to leave him alone for a long time. Aren't you worried about that?

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:57 pm

ran12 wrote:

Don't take your car to DC. DC is not a city where you need a car because the metro system is pretty awesome and the city makes it difficult to have a car (high parking, easy to get violations). I went to GW for UG so I don't know the best places to live around American Law but I know the area has a lot of houses.
Your advice rings true for GW, and DC generally, but for American, not so much. You'll need a car, or you'll need to be friendly with someone who has a car if you're gonna go to American and be comfortable.

NScott

New

Post by NScott » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:37 am

Aqualibrium wrote:
ran12 wrote:

Your advice rings true for GW, and DC generally, but for American, not so much. You'll need a car, or you'll need to be friendly with someone who has a car if you're gonna go to American and be comfortable.
Why is that? I saw someone mention the location of the school as not the greatest, is that what you were referring to?

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:40 am

AU is in DC but parts of the area around it is more suburban-like. Also it's far from the downtown and cap hill parts of DC and the metro station is a bus ride away from the law school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:06 pm

I got accepted into the PT program, 2.9/167.

I'm mostly looking at them for their IP selection/clinic and proximity to the patent office. I hope I get into GWU's PT, pending my Dec. LSAT. However, there's a very real chance I'll be going to American in the fall.

Can anyone else comment on IP at American? Especially wrt patents. Are American grads focusing in patent law having a better time of it because of AU's solid IP program?

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:25 pm

androstan wrote:I got accepted into the PT program, 2.9/167.

I'm mostly looking at them for their IP selection/clinic and proximity to the patent office. I hope I get into GWU's PT, pending my Dec. LSAT. However, there's a very real chance I'll be going to American in the fall.

Can anyone else comment on IP at American? Especially wrt patents. Are American grads focusing in patent law having a better time of it because of AU's solid IP program?

IP folks at most schools are generally having an easier time than the general population. I think that's generally attributed the the growth in that area of the law, and the opportunity that programs like PLIP provide to escape your school's potential OCI shortcomings. That doesn't mean that your grades in law school, as well as the school you got them from won't matter when it comes to looking for jobs. If you aren't in the top 25-30% at American, it is unlikely that wanting IP will save you...that isn't a knock on American, it's just the reality of the current legal market.

With regards to the IP program, it's often said on TLS that you shouldn't go to a school because of XYZ program. I don't think it's ever really explained though. After going through the job hunt process, I think I can explain it a bit. The fact of the matter is, employers aren't coming to look for students at xyz school because of the great xyz program. Most firms won't care what programs the school has or what classes you take...that's just reality. Having a great XYZ program often indicates only that there are professors at the school who are regarded as among the best in their respective fields. Firms will seek out those professors to consult on various matters, but again, they won't be coming there to find students.

Generally, the only way you benefit from this is if you develop a relationship with that professor, and they call someone up on your behalf. I don't think I have to explain why it isn't a good idea to go to a school with the hope that some professor that is an expert in their field will take a liking to you and fast track your career. Do I?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”