When/where will I be using Westlaw? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
catwomangirl

Bronze

When/where will I be using Westlaw?

Post by catwomangirl » Tue May 08, 2012 9:28 am

And therefore need a large screen.

Is it during a writing assignment I could easily do at home? Will I ever need it in class?

Ludo!

Gold

Re: When/where will I be using Westlaw?

Post by Ludo! » Tue May 08, 2012 9:31 am

My school had a separate research class where we learned by following along on Lexis/Westlaw. Other than that no, you don't usually need it for class. Unless you didn't read for the day and are worried about getting cold called and want to pull up a case summary.

Kind of an odd question though, why do you ask? It's just a website you go to, it's not a program or anything

catwomangirl

Bronze

Post by catwomangirl » Tue May 08, 2012 9:35 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:My school had a separate research class where we learned by following along on Lexis/Westlaw. Other than that no, you don't usually need it for class. Unless you didn't read for the day and are worried about getting cold called and want to pull up a case summary.

Kind of an odd question though, why do you ask? It's just a website you go to, it's not a program or anything
I'm figuring out what kind of computer setup I need, and a lot of people talk about needing a large screen for outlining/westlaw. I was trying to localize where I would be using it. (so whether a desktop big screen would be fine with a smaller laptop for taking to class.)

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Tue May 08, 2012 9:36 am

catwomangirl wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:My school had a separate research class where we learned by following along on Lexis/Westlaw. Other than that no, you don't usually need it for class. Unless you didn't read for the day and are worried about getting cold called and want to pull up a case summary.

I'm figuring out what kind of computer setup I need, and a lot of people talk about needing a large screen for outlining/westlaw. I was trying to localize where I would be using it. (so whether a desktop big screen would be fine with a smaller laptop for taking to class.)
Ahh got ya. Yeah, in class use is minimal

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Tue May 08, 2012 9:38 am

catwomangirl wrote:

I have a 14" laptop. I have an extra monitor at my home office that I use for LRW assignments and outlining. If a class permits electronic outline access during an exam, I just bring that extra monitor. If not, my laptop screen is more than enough. Go with portability and just use the monitor when you need it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Tue May 08, 2012 9:56 am

sundance95 wrote:
catwomangirl wrote:

I have a 14" laptop. I have an extra monitor at my home office that I use for LRW assignments and outlining. If a class permits electronic outline access during an exam, I just bring that extra monitor. If not, my laptop screen is more than enough. Go with portability and just use the monitor when you need it.
Could you imagine actually seeing some retard walking around campus carrying an extra monitor

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Tue May 08, 2012 10:33 am

Mike12188 wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
catwomangirl wrote: I'm figuring out what kind of computer setup I need, and a lot of people talk about needing a large screen for outlining/westlaw. I was trying to localize where I would be using it. (so whether a desktop big screen would be fine with a smaller laptop for taking to class.)
Could you imagine actually seeing some retard walking around campus carrying an extra monitor
Haha, because looking cool on the maybe two exam days per semester where you're able to access electronic outlines is my number one priority. TBF, at my school non-1L finals are flex exams and we can take them in any number of rooms, so I just put it in a bag and set up in an exam room before getting my test and its really not a huge deal. I did do it for several 1L fixed exams as well though, and no one gave a shit; everyone was more concerned with their own prep then mine.

Query Mike: why is everyone at GULC such miserable haters? I don't think I've ever met a GULC student who wasn't bitter.

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Wed May 09, 2012 12:15 am

sundance95 wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
catwomangirl wrote: I'm figuring out what kind of computer setup I need, and a lot of people talk about needing a large screen for outlining/westlaw. I was trying to localize where I would be using it. (so whether a desktop big screen would be fine with a smaller laptop for taking to class.)
Haha, because looking cool on the maybe two exam days per semester where you're able to access electronic outlines is my number one priority. TBF, at my school non-1L finals are flex exams and we can take them in any number of rooms, so I just put it in a bag and set up in an exam room before getting my test and its really not a huge deal. I did do it for several 1L fixed exams as well though, and no one gave a shit; everyone was more concerned with their own prep then mine.

Query Mike: why is everyone at GULC such miserable haters? I don't think I've ever met a GULC student who wasn't bitter.
Haha, not a hater. Just seriously thought you were trolling OP. I wouldn't have said anything if I knew you were serious. But TBF it's not about looking cool, just not like a retard. :lol:

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed May 09, 2012 7:47 am

You actually bring an external monitor to finals...? :shock:

I mean, that's cool and all but it's pretty unusual.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”