Buying a new computer for law school--mac or no? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Is a mac worth it?

A mac is worth it
56%
A mac is not worth it
44%

Total votes: 139

kapital98

Silver

Re: Buying a new computer for law school--mac or no?

Post by kapital98 » Sun May 06, 2012 9:44 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:
kapital98 wrote:OneNote is vastly superior to any other note taking software for law school. AND, it's only available on PC.

/thread
Parallels/VMWare/Bootcamp
/thread
If you think that formatting a harddrive is a big deal and running vmware is acceptable, why not just run windows on your pc in a VM sandbox?
Because buying a separate $200 windows licence and using a $50 virtual machine is inexpensive and requires no technical expertise :lol:

Seriously, you could buy a low-end PC for that price with a starter edition of Microsoft Office and OneNote.

Glock

Bronze

Post by Glock » Sun May 06, 2012 9:47 pm

It isn't worth the price if you are going into debt to do it. If you really need OSX it is pretty easy to make a hackintosh with several laptops.

Macs are generally easier and faster to use for you average user, and I am typing on one right now. It was a gift. I can boot either to OSX or windows 7, and both are excellent. Which do I always use? OSX for the ease.

Geaux12

Bronze

Post by Geaux12 » Sun May 06, 2012 10:09 pm

dextermorgan wrote:
Geneva wrote:Thanks everyone! Does anyone have advice on how to best improve typing speed before law school? I know this sounds like a ridiculous question, but I can actually write by hand faster than I type and I never learned to type the right way (e.g. my typing in the dark=total disaster, laden with typos). I want to get at least somewhat up to speed before law school starts, and unlearn my bad habits (using the wrong fingers, etc.). Thanks so much!
http://www.typeracer.com

Aaaaand goodbye productivity.

FYI: 96 wpm average, best was 112. I can do better.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Sun May 06, 2012 10:16 pm

kapital98 wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:
kapital98 wrote:OneNote is vastly superior to any other note taking software for law school. AND, it's only available on PC.

/thread
Parallels/VMWare/Bootcamp
/thread
If you think that formatting a harddrive is a big deal and running vmware is acceptable, why not just run windows on your pc in a VM sandbox?
Because buying a separate $200 windows licence and using a $50 virtual machine is inexpensive and requires no technical expertise :lol:

Seriously, you could buy a low-end PC for that price with a starter edition of Microsoft Office and OneNote.
vwmare is free and almost everyone has an old xp computer you can use for the license.

roaringeagle

Bronze

Post by roaringeagle » Sun May 06, 2012 10:26 pm

I have a dell xps 17 i7 8gb ram with a 3D screen backlit keys etc. and it is awesome. That does not stop it from crashing at least once a month week. Also, The A/C adapter goes in the back for some odd reason, and it now slips out if I move the computer even slightly. This pisses me off. A big plus with the mac is the magnetic AC cable. Also, the OS of the Mac is more stable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Geaux12

Bronze

Post by Geaux12 » Sun May 06, 2012 10:41 pm

roaringeagle wrote:I have a dell xps 17 i7 8gb ram with a 3D screen backlit keys etc. and it is awesome. That does not stop it from crashing at least once a month week. Also, The A/C adapter goes in the back for some odd reason, and it now slips out if I move the computer even slightly. This pisses me off. A big plus with the mac is the magnetic AC cable. Also, the OS of the Mac is more stable.

I think we can all admit that Apple has the best industrial engineers in the game. The aesthetics and build quality of the Macbook -- everything from the power cord to the battery indicator -- are top quality and have a substantial, expensive feel to them. Is it worth the markup? Depends on the person/the budget.

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Sun May 06, 2012 10:57 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
kapital98 wrote:

vwmare is free and almost everyone has an old xp computer you can use for the license.
Beat me to it. You can buy xp on ebay for $15. Can't speak for VMWare but Parallels/Bootcamp requires no expertise and bootcamp is free - your mac comes with instructions.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Sun May 06, 2012 11:05 pm

Which one will help you use the search function better?

....just kidding. I have a pc, lots of my friends have macs. They seem pretty interchangeable as far as law school goes. If you have a preference, it should be for what you use the computer for outside of school.

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Mon May 07, 2012 10:43 am

Thanks so much! I really appreciate the detailed feedback here :P

Personal goal: become at least (moderately) computer literate before law school. Did not realize we needed to use a special program to take law school exams!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sherwood2014

New

Post by Sherwood2014 » Mon May 07, 2012 11:42 am

cinephile wrote:I also use an ASUS. It's worked fine for over 3 years, no issues with viruses or anything else. And I only paid $400 for it.
+1 Asus is more than fine. I wish it had a backlit keyboard.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Mon May 07, 2012 11:50 am

Geneva wrote:Thanks so much! I really appreciate the detailed feedback here :P

Personal goal: become at least (moderately) computer literate before law school. Did not realize we needed to use a special program to take law school exams!
So, are you going to post pictures of yourself or not?

presidentk1

Bronze

Post by presidentk1 » Mon May 07, 2012 12:00 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
Geneva wrote:Thanks so much! I really appreciate the detailed feedback here :P

So, are you going to post pictures of yourself or not?
Lmaoo at ^

Btw ...buying a Mac is like going to a TTTT @ sticker

sequins

New

Post by sequins » Tue May 08, 2012 1:53 am

Lol I'm gonna say it's more like a T1 at Sticker (mac) vs a T2 with scholly (asus/dell) . T1 costs more- but will last longer and give you a better experience long term - if you can afford it. T2 with scholly is like a cheap asus/dell - it'll last for a shorter time, be a poorer experience, break down more often, but if you do get to save money. If you get a decent quality/commercial/professional grade windows laptop it'll cost the same as macbooks - you are paying for a higher quality/engineered product but you are definitely PAYING for it. Depends how much money you are willing to spend.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Tue May 08, 2012 1:57 am

sequins wrote:Lol I'm gonna say it's more like a T1 at Sticker (mac) vs a T2 with scholly (asus/dell) . T1 costs more- but will last longer and give you a better experience long term - if you can afford it. T2 with scholly is like a cheap asus/dell - it'll last for a shorter time, be a poorer experience, break down more often, but if you do get to save money. If you get a decent quality/commercial/professional grade windows laptop it'll cost the same as macbooks - you are paying for a higher quality/engineered product but you are definitely PAYING for it. Depends how much money you are willing to spend.
haha, love the all too fitting analogy here:)

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue May 08, 2012 6:31 am

sequins wrote:Lol I'm gonna say it's more like a T1 at Sticker (mac) vs a T2 with scholly (asus/dell) . T1 costs more- but will last longer and give you a better experience long term - if you can afford it. T2 with scholly is like a cheap asus/dell - it'll last for a shorter time, be a poorer experience, break down more often, but if you do get to save money. If you get a decent quality/commercial/professional grade windows laptop it'll cost the same as macbooks - you are paying for a higher quality/engineered product but you are definitely PAYING for it. Depends how much money you are willing to spend.
One, Dells are terrible. Nobody should be buying a Dell in 2012. The ASUS is a lot more reliable than a Dell. And two, ASUS even makes motherboards for Apple. Doesn't make sense that their own products would breakdown more frequently than the ones they make for Apple. And lastly, I'm not sure a T1 education is higher quality product, it's just law school.

icedflames

Bronze

Post by icedflames » Tue May 08, 2012 8:36 am

Systematic1 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Look at this mac fan boy. What a bitch.
+1
That extra money is paying for 3% engineering and 97% brand name/profits/stockholders' joy.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Tue May 08, 2012 8:40 am

Glock wrote:It isn't worth the price if you are going into debt to do it. If you really need OSX it is pretty easy to make a hackintosh with several laptops.

Macs are generally easier and faster to use for you average user, and I am typing on one right now. It was a gift. I can boot either to OSX or windows 7, and both are excellent. Which do I always use? OSX for the ease.
Any links on hackintosh how tos anyone can recommend?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:07 pm

--LinkRemoved--
just so you know, it's not legal.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:27 pm

1. If your school's exam software and such is compatible with a Mac and
2. You want a Mac and
3. You don't mind paying out the nose for a Mac,
then get a Mac.

Personally, it would take physical torture and/or at least a four-figure payoff to get me to use a Mac for a year.

sequins

New

Post by sequins » Tue May 08, 2012 12:54 pm

cinephile wrote:
One, Dells are terrible. Nobody should be buying a Dell in 2012. The ASUS is a lot more reliable than a Dell. And two, ASUS even makes motherboards for Apple. Doesn't make sense that their own products would breakdown more frequently than the ones they make for Apple. And lastly, I'm not sure a T1 education is higher quality product, it's just law school.
Well I'm not sure about asus - but in the past I've used/or fam members have used, dell, hp, toshiba, acer and IBM. The IBM's are a tank - Have old thinkpads from before the Lenovo days that still run fine and are perfectly capable of work. However back then they were definitely not cheaper than macs. Dunno how the new lenovo thinkpads are - but the quality of product is definitely up there. All the other windows computers I've had have crapped out after a year or two. HP overheated so much the grpahics card melted or something, my acer crapped out in the middle of writing an undergrad paper - which I then had to rush to a computer lab to rewrite.

But the actual quality windows laptops aren't that much cheaper either. I'm talking Thinkpad T or W series - not the cheaper models lenovo pushed out with the thinkpad name. Just it's hard to weed out all the crap from the windows computers. Even quality brands push out a few 'budget' options that are probably not worth the hassle.

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Tue May 08, 2012 1:39 pm

Just FYI: Last year I bought an Acer and it has been a pain in the neck. Such a pain in the neck that I felt the need to start this thread:) Thanks for all the feedback.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sequins

New

Post by sequins » Tue May 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Oh and for typing speed - I'd invest in a good keyboard. I can stand laptop keyboards for taking notes - but any time I have to do any extended typing, exams, or writing papers etc. I definitely need a GOOD mechanical keyboard. The old IBM keyboards are amazing - right now I use a razer blackwidow mechanical keyboard.

It defienitely increases your speed, and it feels a lot more natural than tiny cramped keyboards and shallow keys, so you have to concentrate a lot less on the actual typing part.

presidentk1

Bronze

Post by presidentk1 » Tue May 08, 2012 4:40 pm

sequins wrote:
cinephile wrote:
Well I'm not sure about asus - but in the past I've used/or fam members have used, dell, hp, toshiba, acer and IBM. The IBM's are a tank - Have old thinkpads from before the Lenovo days that still run fine and are perfectly capable of work. However back then they were definitely not cheaper than macs. Dunno how the new lenovo thinkpads are - but the quality of product is definitely up there. All the other windows computers I've had have crapped out after a year or two. HP overheated so much the grpahics card melted or something, my acer crapped out in the middle of writing an undergrad paper - which I then had to rush to a computer lab to rewrite.

But the actual quality windows laptops aren't that much cheaper either. I'm talking Thinkpad T or W series - not the cheaper models lenovo pushed out with the thinkpad name. Just it's hard to weed out all the crap from the windows computers. Even quality brands push out a few 'budget' options that are probably not worth the hassle.
i have a lenovo w520, it has the same build quality as a thinkpad made by IBM back in the day.

i bought it for $1100, to have configured a mac with the same stuff i got in the lenovo it would of cost $2200+++ and even at that price point the mac would still be missing features or be equipped with worse components, like the display for example, the best display you can get in a macbook pro is 1680x1050, and you have to pay $150 more for it

i have a 1920x1080, fullHD monster on my w520. For those of you who don't know the difference, a full 1080 screen will give you more screen real estate in terms of how many things can be displayed at a given time. A good example of this would be in Microsoft Word. If you have a word document opened up on the mac. you can display one page at a time, maybe two pages (but parts of the page might be cut off). on my w520, i can display 3 pages side-by-side at any given time. The increase in productivity is tremendous. Imagine being able to open Word and Excel and have them both up side by side with out having to minimize one, then open the other to pull data off of it.

if your buying a mac, its because you don't know shit about computers and your buying one because you think its cool.

even think long-term to when you are/if employed in a law firm. there's a 99.999999999% chance that their servers are only designed to accept windows clients (another reason to by windows 7 pro instead of the home edition). So when you want to access the discovery documents while at your firm, your little mac won't be able to pull the data off the server

bottom line, macs are toys, not business machines

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Tue May 08, 2012 6:47 pm

presidentk1 wrote:Imagine being able to open Word and Excel and have them both up side by side with out having to minimize one, then open the other to pull data off of it.
The lost Lennon verse. Truly beautiful.
presidentk1 wrote:bottom line, macs are toys, not business machines
presidentk1 wrote:if your buying a mac, its because you don't know shit about computers and your buying one because you think its cool.
How about this for generalizations: if you give this big a shit about what kind of computer someone buys, you need to get out more.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Tue May 08, 2012 7:01 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”