0L with intent to transfer?????? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
mountaintime

Bronze

Re: 0L with intent to transfer??????

Post by mountaintime » Tue May 01, 2012 9:33 pm

Mr_Anonoymous_Poster wrote:Don't let be people on TLS get you down. Almost every person who actually transfers went into the school they went to with the intent to transfer.

This is called "confirmation bias." Whether they admit it or not, about half of the class at basically any school outside of the T10 will be there with the intent to transfer out.

mountaintime

Bronze

Post by mountaintime » Tue May 01, 2012 9:36 pm

Tom Joad wrote:I think nearly any law student would say it is immensely easier to get a 170 than to finish in the top 5-10% of the T30.
correct.

only a mathless law student would think "I have a 2% chance of getting a 170, but I have a 10% chance of landing in the top 10% of my class. I have a better chance of landing in the top 10% of my class!"

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Tue May 01, 2012 9:37 pm

mountaintime wrote:
Nammertat wrote: To transfer into HYS you need:
-top 5-10% at a Top 20
just so you know, it's more like #1 for Y, top 5 students overall for HS from a top 20 and probably top 2 or 3 students overall for HS from T1
I kind of assumed that the HYS #'s would be pretty tight. Makes sense.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Tue May 01, 2012 9:38 pm

Why do you care that you go to a HYS? Sure I wish I was HYS-bound, but there are other lots of good schools.

mountaintime

Bronze

Post by mountaintime » Tue May 01, 2012 9:43 pm

Nammertat wrote:
mountaintime wrote:
Nammertat wrote: To transfer into HYS you need:
-top 5-10% at a Top 20
just so you know, it's more like #1 for Y, top 5 students overall for HS from a top 20 and probably top 2 or 3 students overall for HS from T1
I kind of assumed that the HYS #'s would be pretty tight. Makes sense.
the shit economy along with TLS and other internet sites increasing students' familiarity with transferring has made transferring much more competitive lately (from what i understand). Basically, everyone in the top 10-15% at a t30-type school will likely be looking to transfer (unless maybe on a full-ride). I think CCN basically required top 5% this last cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Tue May 01, 2012 9:45 pm

Mr_Anonoymous_Poster wrote:Don't let be people on TLS get you down. Almost every person who actually transfers went into the school they went to with the intent to transfer. I know I did and I ended up transferring to a school in the Top 14.

You will be better off at a higher ranked school, all things being equal, and 10 ranks is a lot of ranks. For Yale, school rank makes a the biggest difference. It is exponentially harder to get in as #1 at the 40th ranked school than as #1 at the 20th ranked school.

For Harvard, it's not that big a deal but they require you to be #1-#5 at the school if outside the T16 (but they will reach down to the fifties and beyond). To transfer to the rest of the T-8, you can be in the Top 5% at either school and you will definitely get in somewhere from either place, with school rank probably making minimal difference.

The school's rank will do you more favors if you are in the top 10-15%. When aiming for a slot in the lower T-14 (think Georgetown), the higher rank will probably help you to get into a school you otherwise would have missed
Definitely appreciate the input from someone who has actually DONE IT. I obviously take TLS opinions with a grain of salt. There will always be trolls, and I'm fine with that. Even the "naysayers" have brought up really good points about the process though!

Transferring will not play a absolute role in my 0L decision process, but I feel like it at least needs to be considered thoroughly. Ultimately as an IP guy, I'm hoping to have a realistic shot at UCB/UVA/Penn. I suppose one way to find out how these particular schools view transfers would be to simply call the admissions office.

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Tue May 01, 2012 9:47 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Why do you care that you go to a HYS? Sure I wish I was HYS-bound, but there are other lots of good schools.
Definitely not set on HYS. Really anyone in the T10 has a ton to offer, and the IP list also has other factors to consider.

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Tue May 01, 2012 9:49 pm

Mr_Anonoymous_Poster wrote:Don't let be people on TLS get you down. Almost every person who actually transfers went into the school they went to with the intent to transfer. I know I did and I ended up transferring to a school in the Top 14.

You will be better off at a higher ranked school, all things being equal, and 10 ranks is a lot of ranks. For Yale, school rank makes a the biggest difference. It is exponentially harder to get in as #1 at the 40th ranked school than as #1 at the 20th ranked school.

For Harvard, it's not that big a deal but they require you to be #1-#5 at the school if outside the T16 (but they will reach down to the fifties and beyond). To transfer to the rest of the T-8, you can be in the Top 5% at either school and you will definitely get in somewhere from either place, with school rank probably making minimal difference.

The school's rank will do you more favors if you are in the top 10-15%. When aiming for a slot in the lower T-14 (think Georgetown), the higher rank will probably help you to get into a school you otherwise would have missed
wtf is a t16 and t8.

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Tue May 01, 2012 10:06 pm

thelawyler wrote:

wtf is a t16 and t8.
Not 100% sure if this is serious or not, but they're referring to the USNWR rankings. (Top 8 / Top 16)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tedalbany

Gold

Post by tedalbany » Tue May 01, 2012 10:11 pm

Nammertat wrote:
thelawyler wrote:

wtf is a t16 and t8.
Not 100% sure if this is serious or not, but they're referring to the USNWR rankings. (Top 8 / Top 16)
Nammertat wrote:Not 100% sure if this is serious

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”