0L Prep Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Ded Precedent

Silver

Re: 0L Prep

Post by Ded Precedent » Tue May 01, 2012 9:57 pm

kaiser wrote:So you have both failed to actually look up what the advice would be, and can simultaneously dismiss the advice as "dumb" (which acknowledging that you mind has been made up in the face of advice of those who actually have experience on the matter)
The fuck? What makes you think I haven't read the relevant threads on this subject? The two main points against prepping are that it's a waste of time and I won't understand what I need to be learning. The first point is moot because I have nothing better to do. The second point is a matter of contention on TLS with most people claiming that 0Ls won't know what needs to be focused on and that it will actually confuse them. Some people have said that they found the prep to be useful. I've read both sides of this and decided that the reasons given for prep outweigh the reasons given against it. How much simpler do I need to break this down for you?
The funniest thing is that you think it is going "rogue" or against the grain. Thats where you have it totally backwards. Almost EVERY neurotic kid like you will do the EXACT SAME THING. You aren't going against the grain or going rogue. You are doing precisely what your neurotic mindset is telling you to do (i.e. picking out the first tree in front of you and grasping to it way too hard). Thats the definition of losing the forest for the trees, and you are, from the very first step, failing to see the bigger picture.
I'm going against the grain of TLS opinion. I don't know what gave you the impression that I needed to know what my future classmates might be doing to prepare for law school.
Not sure why exactly I'm helping you out and sharing with you actual ways to get a leg up on your classmates. You don't deserve them with the attitude you have, and I usually only share that info with those who I feel actually are "rogues" who go against the grain.
This is quite possibly the most self-important thing I've ever read on TLS. Were you jerking off in the mirror as you typed this?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue May 01, 2012 9:59 pm

Ded Precedent wrote:
kaiser wrote:So you have both failed to actually look up what the advice would be, and can simultaneously dismiss the advice as "dumb" (which acknowledging that you mind has been made up in the face of advice of those who actually have experience on the matter)
The fuck? What makes you think I haven't read the relevant threads on this subject? The two main points against prepping are that it's a waste of time and I won't understand what I need to be learning. The first point is moot because I have nothing better to do. The second point is a matter of contention on TLS with most people claiming that 0Ls won't know what needs to be focused on and that it will actually confuse them. Some people have said that they found the prep to be useful. I've read both sides of this and decided that the reasons given for prep outweigh the reasons given against it. How much simpler do I need to break this down for you?
The funniest thing is that you think it is going "rogue" or against the grain. Thats where you have it totally backwards. Almost EVERY neurotic kid like you will do the EXACT SAME THING. You aren't going against the grain or going rogue. You are doing precisely what your neurotic mindset is telling you to do (i.e. picking out the first tree in front of you and grasping to it way too hard). Thats the definition of losing the forest for the trees, and you are, from the very first step, failing to see the bigger picture.
I'm going against the grain of TLS opinion. I don't know what gave you the impression that I needed to know what my future classmates might be doing to prepare for law school.
Not sure why exactly I'm helping you out and sharing with you actual ways to get a leg up on your classmates. You don't deserve them with the attitude you have, and I usually only share that info with those who I feel actually are "rogues" who go against the grain.
This is quite possibly the most self-important thing I've ever read on TLS. Were you jerking off in the mirror as you typed this?
So wheres the part where you thank me for actually giving you the advice you need to get a leg up instead of making you search it out yourself? Seems to be curiously absent from your response.

Ded Precedent

Silver

Post by Ded Precedent » Tue May 01, 2012 10:06 pm

rayiner wrote:You say "I think I might be able to recognize that laws can be interpreted and argued in different ways" but fail to realize that "laws" in 1L aren't laid out for you like 1, 2, 3. It's not like you're thinking "the professor interprets law 1 this way, while the 0L prep I did interprets it this way." A big part of the struggle of 1L is just identifying the boundaries of 1, 2, and 3. The concepts bleed into each other and it can be very confusing to learn the same material from sources that draw the boundaries of each concept slightly differently. Also, professors tend to be pretty good about testing only the issues they covered on the exam. Learning about rules that your professor didn't' cover can cause you to see issues in the hypothetical that are not on the grading rubric and which you'll get no points for answering.
Thank you for your advice and I can see how that might be an issue. Do you think that if I keep the scope of my prep broad enough (GTM and Delaneys Legal Reasoning/Do Your Best on Law School Exams) that I can avoid that confusion? I mean I don't plan on starting to memorize laws or anything I'm just trying to calm some pre-L nerves and hopefully get some insight on how to do LS without failing miserably.

Ded Precedent

Silver

Post by Ded Precedent » Tue May 01, 2012 10:11 pm

kaiser wrote:So wheres the part where you thank me for actually giving you the advice you need to get a leg up instead of making you search it out yourself? Seems to be curiously absent from your response.
Thank you almighty law oracle. I hope to someday be worthy of your advice.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue May 01, 2012 10:12 pm

Btw OP, sorry for the snark in my earlier post. I'm the guilty conscience type, and I don't really like coming off mean since I usually feel bad about it. I just get frustrated when 0L's don't listen, when my biggest regret is not taking the very advice I now give out from experience.

Studying the exam stuff is fine, and that actually will give you some leg up on your classmates. Its just the substantive prep that I think is a total waste of time (i.e. learning the law itself). The other stuff I mentioned in my earlier post is the stuff you want to focus on. Trust me, you will be in a FAR better position than your classmates if you actually do those things thoroughly. Yes, I wrapped it up in a bit of attitude earlier, but at the end of the day, you can really use that advice to your advantage.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ded Precedent

Silver

Post by Ded Precedent » Tue May 01, 2012 10:18 pm

kaiser wrote:Btw OP, sorry for the snark in my earlier post. I'm the guilty conscience type, and I don't really like coming off mean since I usually feel bad about it. I just get frustrated when 0L's don't listen, when my biggest regret is not taking the very advice I now give out from experience.

Studying the exam stuff is fine, and that actually will give you some leg up on your classmates. Its just the substantive prep that I think is a total waste of time (i.e. learning the law itself). The other stuff I mentioned in my earlier post is the stuff you want to focus on. Trust me, you will be in a FAR better position than your classmates if you actually do those things thoroughly. Yes, I wrapped it up in a bit of attitude earlier, but at the end of the day, you can really use that advice to your advantage.
ty ty.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue May 01, 2012 10:42 pm

kaiser wrote:So wheres the part where you thank me for actually giving you the advice you need to get a leg up instead of making you search it out yourself? Seems to be curiously absent from your response.
Thank you
That is good advice

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Wed May 02, 2012 1:11 am

honestly though-- you could read chemerinsky cover to cover "for fun". don't put in like 8 hours a day or anything but if you are interested in this kind of stuff, it could make for an interesting read. ur not going to retain the 100 gazillion cases in it but you'll at least see some of it. if you are really that bored

but don't make it like a super intense thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”